Prophet Muhammad Cartoon Contest

I don't think I really need to specify it's you, just look at the general comments from the posters here.

To your question: I believe in freedom of expression, and being able to speak freely. And it's also expressed in the Quran (71:8-9. 34:13).
Would I draw the prophet? No. It serves no point, it's idolatry, and doing it in public is merely seeking attention and provocation.
Just like many here frown on some feminist gushing blood out of her vagina on a canvas, seeing it as pointless, stupid and intentionally provocative, so is the contests of drawing the prophet. But neither the feminist, nor the person drawing the prophet should have to fear for his/her life.

Edit: some clarification.

Do you accept that besides those looking to provoke for provocation's sake, there are those that draw Mo specifically because to draw him is too often synonymous with fearing for your life, and thus we should be discussing this in civilized society? Conversely, no one is putting a death sentence on a woman for making menstrual blood paintings.

Anyway, just because some do it "merely for provocation" is irrelevant when there are other motives to consider. Trolls don't remove the ability to discuss why drawing the prophet should be acceptable.

As Haidt has said, "The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."

You have people burning Nike shoes because they think someone was disrespectful to the American flag and Nike put him on a commercial. You got Muslims who were protesting and burning Dutch stuff in Pakistan because they thought Mo was being disrespected because of a cartoon drawing contest.

People go crazy when they think their sacred like item is not being sufficiently honored.

Do you accept that besides those looking to provoke for provocation's sake, there are those that draw Mo specifically because to draw him is too often synonymous with fearing for your life, and thus we should be discussing this in civilized society? Conversely, no one is putting a death sentence on a woman for making menstrual blood paintings.

Anyway, just because some do it "merely for provocation" is irrelevant when there are other motives to consider. Trolls don't remove the ability to discuss why drawing the prophet should be acceptable.

I don't care for peoples reasons to draw the prophet? And what's to discuss? I don't like it, but that doesn't mean just cause I dislike some douche trying to get Muslims riled up by depicting his perception of what the prophet looks like, should be killed or harmed in any way.

See my first answer for my stance, anything else I say is just redundant.

Last edited:
I don't care for peoples reasons to draw the prophet? And what's to discuss? I don't like it, but that doesn't mean just cause I dislike some douche trying to get Muslims riled up by depicting his perception of what the prophet looks, should be killed or harmed in any way.

See my first answer for my stance, anything else I say is just redundant.

I think motives matter but fair enough.

If Muslim culture is going to exist with that ideals of the west, drawing a prophet should happen with no repercussions. There are some hardlined Christians and Jews in the US but nothing happened to comedy central or fox when family guy and south park go off on Jesus or Moses

Back