Proposal to split California into three states makes November ballot

this would still have to pass Congress, right?

"New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress"
But I think Texas had an exemptions when it joined the US. I dunno I think it was about it being big, as well as being a sovereign nation as well

Could they have come up with shittier names? Why don't they just go with "1" "2" and "3"

Does it really need to be three states to do that? Just break up the electorate, and have the candidate win via who wins that particular congressional district

I mean, that's how the electoral college works. The next biggest Electoral State is Texas, which always goes Republican, so it's not like Republicans want to break that up.

I mean, that's how the electoral college works. The next biggest Electoral State is Texas, which always goes Republican, so it's not like Republicans want to break that up.
I agree. But maybe break up the electoral college by the new states. Use these states are guides and use them for voting for president. Don't make new states

Could they have come up with shittier names? Why don't they just go with "1" "2" and "3"
That was my thought as well. You can't have a California and a North and a South one. California, which one? California California. Sounds like a mess

I agree. But maybe break up the electoral college by the new states. Use these states are guides and use them for voting for president. Don't make new states

I don't know. We'll see what happens. It's an imperfect system, but I still think it's pretty good as is.

I don't generally engage in conspiracy theories. But I am going to put on my tinfoil hat here and say this is not about politics. If this goes through, it will be the beginning of 'The Water Wars'.

Based on this map, CA and Southern CA would be dependent on Northern CA for HALF their water supply. Huge discussions and arguments will ensue that will eventually impact every state.
Water was actually the first thing I thought of when I saw the map.

Has no chance, I don't know why people keep wasting breath talking about this.
f80.gif

California has 55 electoral votes. That's the most of any state whatsoever, and that's the purpose of this proposal.

Seems like your problem has more to do with the electoral college than the size of the state then.

Last edited:
California is like 90 percent Democrat

There is no way in hell California becomes a red state, Hollywood is here and all media outlets are Liberal besides Fox News.

Mexicans and Blacks are overwhelmingly democrat since birth.

According to the Map in the OP Northern California's electoral votes could have gone to Trump.

map-1502122740.png

Which part would get the homeless camps and miles of human feces though?

I don't know. We'll see what happens. It's an imperfect system, but I still think it's pretty good as is.
Yeah I don't want to change. At most break California into three electoral districts, but leave it basically as is

Sets a bad precedence to circumvent democracy by using alternative mapping to get what you want. Carving up states so people can isolate themselves from others who have a different opinion from themselves is kind of unsettling.

In the end it likely will not happen and if by some chance it does the rural parts really overestimate how much their political ideology will compensate for the loss in industry.

Article IV - The States Section 3

Clause 1:

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

Clause 2:

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.

You are misreading the result. Current California provides 2 Dems to the Senate. Under the 3 state plan the likely outcome is 4 D's and 2 R's to the Senate which is still a +2 D margin provided by "California" so there is no net change in influence.

I'm saying those two "r's" that you're referring to..... in 15 years will be 2 extra Ds.

No thanks.

So Orange County would end up with the IE and all the poor areas? Fuck that. Stupid to even consider this shit.

According to the Map in the OP Northern California's electoral votes could have gone to Trump.

map-1502122740.png
Yeah, you could gerrymander Texas's electoral votes, too.

Gerrymandering is cancerous, and that's all this is. A gerrymasturbatory dream. No different than the libs wanting to disintegrate that Mexican border now that the Catholicism monkey is no longer on their back.

Great we dont have to send 99% of our water there anymore.
And they don't have to send us a dime of their tax revenue.

Now they have no water, you have no roads, and nobody has any fruit. Great fucking plan.

Back