Prospects/ potential

Silver tongue samurai

Ronin
@Blue
Reaction score
This is mainly for the coaches but of course all answers are welcome.

What i was wondering are what are some characteristics or traits that you guys look for (or see and have noticed a pattern of) when first starting to train someone that you think has potential to compete

This is mainly for the coaches but of course all answers are welcome.

What i was wondering are what are some characteristThats something hat you guys look for (or see and have noticed a pattern of) when first starting to train someone that you think has potential to compete
How hard can they bang

I'm serious. Alot of folks can learn technique and tactics , but how to fight: aggression, pressing forward, etc. Thats something that's hard to teach. Alot of new fighters loose because the don't have it esp in a pressure environment . It comes in time, but people who naturally have it make great fighters. No great fighter out there has ever had a problem imposing their will.

Mentality. A certain eagerness to learn and put in the hard yards. Quite a few people come into the gym and the first question they ask is how long it'll take before they can have their first fight. Those are coincidentally often the ones that maybe train for a month and a half and quit. If you have someone who sticks around, who isn't put off the first time they accidentally kick someone's elbow for example and who shows up every training, that person is already doing better than 90% of trainees.

Quite a few people come into the gym and the first question they ask is how long it'll take before they can have their first fight. Those are coincidentally often the ones that maybe train for a month and a half and quit.
Its dangerous sport at the end of the day, serious injures can happen. Everyone likes to have the glory of stepping into the light and duking it out, but its what it is. Ego plays tricks on everyone.

A wonderful test to see who sticks around, is catch kick -> sweep drills. You see who actually ducks those classes afterwards.

Its dangerous sport at the end of the day, serious injures can happen. Everyone likes to have the glory of stepping into the light and duking it out, but its what it is. Ego plays tricks on everyone.

A wonderful test to see who sticks around, is catch kick -> sweep drills. You see who actually ducks those classes afterwards.

Friday sparring is like this. Its the "competition" sparring. There are only like 3 people that show up to it. All past competitors and then me haha. I love it. Win some lose some but you always grow and learn. I accidentally did the hour cardio class before it last week and i was dead. Got props from my coach for pushing though so thats worth more than anything at that point haha

Friday sparring is like this. Its the "competition" sparring. There are only like 3 people that show up to it. All past competitors and then me haha. I love it. Win some lose some but you always grow and learn. I accidentally did the hour cardio class before it last week and i was dead. Got props from my coach for pushing though so thats worth more than anything at that point haha
Its how you grow and learn. I always felt bad at the time because I wqs learning so much while my main partners (High lv ammys) couldn't get the same return from me. Eventually as I got more exp'd I was able to return the favor and make them work.

Yup like Michael Chandler said " its not that people dont do the right things its that they dont do them for long enough." My coach has asked me to keep coming to them so it pushes me more as well

If they show up to train. Seriously, that is usually the determining factor for me when I'm deciding if I will coach/corner a fighter.

Back