Protein overdose?

Kframe

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Ok I heard this on the radio last night, and found the article.

http://people.com/bodies/bodybuilding-mom-dies-protein-overdose/

Some chick, died and it is being blamed on protein overdose. The doctor blamed a urea cycle disorder and the protein intake. Ok guys here are way more knowledgeable then I am on this bodybuilding stuff and work outs and diet/supplementation in general.

So what really happened here? How did this woman manage to kill herself with work outs and protein?

Her medical condition is the cause.
People with that type of condition should not consume tjat much protein and shoulders have a dietician and possibly a nephrologist monitoring her competition training.

You cannot overdose on protein unless you are literally eating nothing but protein for prolonged periods and arent grtting fats or carbs (rabbit starvation). The inuit eat high fat high high protein diets and thrive.

Ok I heard this on the radio last night, and found the article.

http://people.com/bodies/bodybuilding-mom-dies-protein-overdose/

Some chick, died and it is being blamed on protein overdose. The doctor blamed a urea cycle disorder and the protein intake. Ok guys here are way more knowledgeable then I am on this bodybuilding stuff and work outs and diet/supplementation in general.

So what really happened here? How did this woman manage to kill herself with work outs and protein?

Your sweat will start to smell like ammonia when you work out, if your consuming a very high protein diet with low carbs.......

It's the only side effect I get.......but like Badger67 said if you have an underlying condition (kidney problems are the common one) you should be very careful.....

Her medical condition is the cause.
People with that type of condition should not consume tjat much protein and shoulders have a dietician and possibly a nephrologist monitoring her competition training.

You cannot overdose on protein unless you are literally eating nothing but protein for prolonged periods and arent grtting fats or carbs (rabbit starvation). The inuit eat high fat high high protein diets and thrive.

What condition are you talking about? She died of a urea cycle failure. I do not recall the article stating she had an underlying problem. They made it sound like the urea cycle disorder was brought on by protein consumption. So I am still confused.

What condition are you talking about? She died of a urea cycle failure. I do not recall the article stating she had an underlying problem. They made it sound like the urea cycle disorder was brought on by protein consumption. So I am still confused.

"A urea cycle disorder is a genetic disorder caused by a mutation that results in a deficiency of one of the six enzymes in the urea cycle. These enzymes are responsible for removing ammonia from the blood stream. The urea cycle involves a series of biochemical steps in which nitrogen, a waste product of protein metabolism, is removed from the blood and converted to a compound called urea in the blood. Normally, the urea is transferred into the urine and removed from the body. In urea cycle disorders, the nitrogen accumulates in the form of ammonia, a highly toxic substance, resulting in hyperammonemia (elevated blood ammonia). Ammonia then reaches the brain through the blood, where it can cause irreversible brain damage, coma and/or death.

The onset and severity of urea cycle disorders is highly variable. This depends on the specific mutation involved and correlates with the amount of urea cycle enzyme function. Severe mutations result in zero to very little enzyme function and ability to detoxify ammonia, and cause severe urea cycle disorders. Mild to moderate mutations represent a broad spectrum of enzyme function, providing some ability to detoxify ammonia, and result in mild to moderate urea cycle disorders."

She had a genetic abnormality, it was probably a milder form and would have escaped detection in childhood but because she was bodybuilding her body could not produce enough enzymes for the amount of protein she was consuming.......

Bekim answered it. She had a condition going into this. Do not worry about over consuming protein unless that is literally all you are consuming.

>"bodybuilder"
>looks like she was pregnant last month

oh yea, RIP

Bekim answered it. She had a condition going into this. Do not worry about over consuming protein unless that is literally all you are consuming.

Ummm, not so quick my Forest city friend.

The deleterious effects of high protein on kidney function have been studied for decades. Aside from increasing incidence of CKD, and sclerosis/glomular hypertrophy; the data repeatedly shows decreased GFR.

This is the most cited study, where parthenogenesis of kidney injury was investigated and described. 35 yrs of follow up research has backed this work up. If you have access to journal articles it is worth getting.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM198209093071104

Dietary Protein Intake and the Progressive Nature of Kidney Disease: — The Role of Hemodynamically Mediated Glomerular Injury in the Pathogenesis of Progressive Glomerular Sclerosis in Aging, Renal Ablation, and Intrinsic Renal Disease
Barry M. Brenner, M.D., Timothy W. Meyer, M.D., and Thomas H. Hostetter, M.D.
N Engl J Med 1982; 307:652-659September 9, 1982DOI: 10.1056/NEJM198209093071104

Ummm, not so quick my Forest city friend.

The deleterious effects of high protein on kidney function have been studied for decades. Aside from increasing incidence of CKD, and sclerosis/glomular hypertrophy; the data repeatedly shows decreased GFR.

This is the most cited study, where parthenogenesis of kidney injury was investigated and described. 35 yrs of follow up research has backed this work up. If you have access to journal articles it is worth getting.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM198209093071104

Dietary Protein Intake and the Progressive Nature of Kidney Disease: — The Role of Hemodynamically Mediated Glomerular Injury in the Pathogenesis of Progressive Glomerular Sclerosis in Aging, Renal Ablation, and Intrinsic Renal Disease
Barry M. Brenner, M.D., Timothy W. Meyer, M.D., and Thomas H. Hostetter, M.D.
N Engl J Med 1982; 307:652-659September 9, 1982DOI: 10.1056/NEJM198209093071104

They investigated the effects of high protein on kidney diseases and indicated this would be bad; but not for healthy people. So, for healthy people, it's fine. Then of course, rabbit starvation which body builders induced in the 70's and 80's where they ate nothing but protein.

"The biologic price of this adaptation to ad libitum feeding is acceptable in the absence of diabetes, acquired renal disease, or surgical loss of renal mass. But the more pronounced elevations in glomerular pressures and flows associated with these latter conditions may accelerate the development of glomerular sclerosis, leading to more rapid loss of renal function.

- Take from their own words. It's from 1982 and subsequent studies on kidney function, nitrogen balance etc have been done on higher protein diets and have found nothing for healthy individuals. Schoenfeld has posted this numerous times showing its nothing to fear.

Edit:
Brad actually tackles this exact paper, citing sources combating it.
http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/blog/high-protein-intake-myths-and-misconceptions-about-saftey-part-1/

Last edited:
It's so weird hearing people talk about rabbit starvation in this context. I mean, obviously this is the most common way it happens these days, but still.

Back