PS4 Controller on PC

Snubnoze707

High Level
@Steel
Reaction score
Hello Master Race,

After watching tutorials and having no luck I figured I'd ask you guys how to get this brand new PS4 controller paired with this brand new PC I just built. As I understand, Steam now natively supports PS4 controllers so it should be as simple as plug and play right?

Well I cant even get Windows to acknowledge the device is even plugged in. Micro USB directly to the PC and nothing. I do get a yellow light on the controller, and if I press the PS button it turns blue so I know the controller isn't dead battery wise. I just get no pop ups saying new device detected or anything. Does the PS4 require it's own specific microUSB cable or can any generic one work?

Any ideas? I wanna buy Dark Souls III but not until I can get this working...

if you are using steam you have to start big picture mode

And non steam games might require a 3rd party app I use DS4windows

Yup, tried that. The tutorials I watched show that windows at least acknowledges the device beforehand.

If I look in device manager it's as if nothing is plugged in. I'll give DS4windows a shot and see where that gets me. I'll want to use this for emulators anyways.

Yup, tried that. The tutorials I watched show that windows at least acknowledges the device beforehand.

If I look in device manager it's as if nothing is plugged in. I'll give DS4windows a shot and see where that gets me. I'll want to use this for emulators anyways.

I just remembered you might have to go into big picture settings and check DS4 so it knows what you are using. I have always used just cheap micro USBs so that shouldn't matter.

My PC is hooked up to my TV so I use Bluetooth to play wirelessly. I originally bought one of those USB dongles but they're shit so I eventually installed this PCI card instead. Works great now. You just have to first pair the DS4 by holding down the Share+PS buttons until the controller starts flashing, then connect the device in your PC's Bluetooth settings.

Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/WiFi Expansion Card Components Other GC-WB867D-I

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Blu...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B018BH1B0G

And non steam games might require a 3rd party app I use DS4windows
I've tried DS4windows. It works but you sometimes get strange behaviour so I stopped using it. It's free though so no harm in installing it.

http://ds4windows.com/

Well I managed to get it to work thankfully. I did two things at once, so not sure what was the factor but installed DS4windows, restarted Windows and used a different cable; miniUSB to female USB (OTG cable) and plugged that into a USB extension. Windows picked it up immediately and I tested it and works in Steam.

I would like to get it wireless at some point too. Is there any lag risks going bluetooth?

Thanks guys...

My PC is hooked up to my TV so I use Bluetooth to play wirelessly. I originally bought one of those USB dongles but they're shit so I eventually installed this PCI card instead. Works great now. You just have to first pair the DS4 by holding down the Share+PS buttons until the controller starts flashing, then connect the device in your PC's Bluetooth settings.
I'm using my PC on my TV as well, but I'm using a Mini ITX platform so I don't have another slot available for more hardware, not that I really want to purchase more hardware at this point.

Seems like a good set up to increase bluetooth signal though.

Well I managed to get it to work thankfully. I did two things at once, so not sure what was the factor but installed DS4windows, restarted Windows and used a different cable; miniUSB to female USB (OTG cable) and plugged that into a USB extension. Windows picked it up immediately and I tested it and works in Steam.

I would like to get it wireless at some point too. Is there any lag risks going bluetooth?

Thanks guys...
I haven't noticed any difference in performance or latency compared to my PS4, at least once I installed the Bluteooth PCI card. The only risk is the charge dies while you're playing but both Steam and DS4windows can warn you when the controller is running low.

I'm using my PC on my TV as well, but I'm using a Mini ITX platform so I don't have another slot available for more hardware, not that I really want to purchase more hardware at this point.

Seems like a good set up to increase bluetooth signal though.
That's a shame. You must have a long USB cord then.

That's a shame. You must have a long USB cord then.
I have a bunch because I have a couple of arcade sticks that I use to game with so I'm used to it.

I have one long USB cable that connects into a USB hub under my coffee table so I can plug in my mechanical keyboard, mouse, and controllers which works out really well.

Thanks guys...

DS4 over Bluetooth seems just as good as ps4. It works pretty well once you pair it you just hit the ps button and it all fires right up.

I vaguely remember seeing something about a Sony Playstation branded PC wireless USB dongle.

I vaguely remember seeing something about a Sony Playstation branded PC wireless USB dongle.
Thats one option or simply get the cheap asus bluetooth dongle instead

I use Input Mapper for my DS4 on my pc, and it works like a champ. Can do wireless w dongle, or just a micro USB cable.

I had a rough time getting the PS4 controller to work with my laptop as well. I still haven't gotten it to work with bluetooth. On the subject of Dark Souls, honestly I much prefer the keyboard and mouse which was shocking to me. It's a little wonky in the menu screens, but once I figured it out I never looked back. With a controller the icons for things in game are for the XBoxOne not PS4, so that can be a little confusing also.

Use a phone charger USB cord (or a third party one you've bought). If you're using the cable supplied with the PS4 it shouldn't carry data. It only recharges.

I connect that usb dongle and the controller maps with that and then boom good to go

I kept having issues with mine so I just switched to the steam remote

Never had issues with it on Steam, I just connect it with a standard android USB cable and it works instantly on big picture mode.

The Xbox controller is definitely easier to set up for play when not using Steam though.

Back