8. No Man's Sky // 212,321 // 2016-08-01
  9. Sid Meier's Civilization VI // 162,314 // 2016-10-01
  10. Left 4 Dead 2 // 161,590 // 2013-12-01
  11. Terraria // 158,947 // 2015-06-01
*Not officially tracked by Steam Charts
More resources for Steam game stats:
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
https://steamspy.com/

Steam is the dominant PC gaming service, and has been in existence since September 12, 2003 when Gabe Newell founded it under his Valve Corporation.

In those fourteen years, despite that competition is perfectly free, open, and fair, between Half-Life 2 (and its expansions), Garry's Mod (a modification of Half-Life 2 by an independent developer), Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike: Source, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal, Portal 2, and finally the most recent title to wear the crown, Dota 2, Valve Corporation has effectively dominated the top owners (sales) and the top concurrent users charts for the entire duration of its own enterprise's history; in particular, the latter chart-- utterly dominated.

In fact, I haven't been able to verify this, but I'm not certain if any game developer has ever held that record besides Valve since the very earliest days in 2003. There is no more concrete a metric for how popular a game is: how many people are playing it on a daily basis, and specifically what the peak number of people concurrently playing it is at any given time during those days.

Some of the only games that have ever challenged Valve's titles are from the Grand Theft Auto series, the Call of Duty series, and Bethesda's Skyrim & Fallout 4. None have come close to threatening CS:GO or Dota 2 since they were released roughly four years ago in terms of peak concurrent users. It's been an unspoken truth that every game that gets released is in a race for a distant, distant third place. Fallout 4 is the best of these with an all-time peak of 472K concurrent users in late 2015.

Meanwhile, Dota 2 set it's record last year, on March 1st, with a total of 1,291,328 peak concurrent players.

Bluehole Studio's PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, affectionately abbreviated to "PUBG" by the savage gamers who play it, has actually surpassed the figure in the chart I spoilered above-- today. The new peak stands at 1,238,017 concurrent users. This figure has been steadily growing since its early access release this past March. That's right. It has not yet even seen its official release. It became the second game in history (behind Dota 2) to break 1 million concurrent users a mere two weeks ago at the outset of September. It's only a matter of time before it becomes the most popular game in Steam's history.

This is 2017's breakout game of the year. Expect to see it splattered across all of the GOTY awards ceremonies by next Spring.

***UPDATE***
Well, it's official. PUBG reached a peak concurrent user total of 1,349,413 gamers Saturday (2017-09-16). It is the new king of Steam.

Sherdog Official Thread here by Kanesdeath:
Playerunknowns Battlegrounds

PUBG: Will my PC Run It? Minimum & Recommended Specs:
http://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-system-requirements/

Disclaimer: Dota 2's unofficial top figure is supposely ~2.4m if you also count the "Nexon" and "Perfect World" services on which it is played, globally:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dotamaster...ussion_on_lols_player_numbers_and_how_fucked/

Disclaimer #2: the most popular game in history is League of Legends, which listed an official peak of 7.5m players back in 2015, and almost certainly has broken 10m since that time, but of course exists outside of Steam's service.
It's also plausible that World of Tanks has beaten these numbers despite that 1.1m is still their officially listed peak figure from 2013. Finally, World of Warcraft in its heydey, with over 12.5m users actively paying to play each month, plausibly surpassed these figures on Blizzard's Battle.net service, but only if the engagement of that base was much higher than is normal relative to known free-to-play player base populations (still...PUBG hit its figure with only 10m copies reputedly sold).

Last edited:
UPDATE: December 8, 2017 (12/08/17)

PUBG unofficially became the first game in history to break 3 million concurrent players this morning. Take that in:
  • No other game in history has broken 2m concurrent
  • Only a single other game in history has broken 1m concurrent
  • Only two other games in history have broken 500K concurrent
In fact, it achieved this sometime this morning because the freaking Test Servers have soared to become the #4 most played game on the platform (while the main game retains #1):

The separate PCCU counts of 2,846,042 + 197,503 = 3,043,545 PCCU
PUBG cracks 3m.png

*Edit*
In fact, today, the 9th of December, the peak for the Test Servers has hit 228,256 PCCU. That makes it the #7 game all time on Steam's charts, and #6 (ahead of last year's No Man's Sky soaring launch) if you don't count the main game: the freaking test servers. Jesus.

Remarkable feat. Perhaps it will come as no surprise that Microsoft has coughed up some of their most talented engineers (out of Canada) to help Bluehole adapt the port to the Xbox One. It isn't their task, but perhaps these guys can help with the netcode latency issues. After all, Microsoft is going all in. It's clear they intend to use this game to gain a more prominent foothold in terms of hardware sales, and especially brand recognition, in China.
PUBG team got help from Gears of War developers "The Coalition" for Xbox port

team.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-15_15-32-18.jpeg
    upload_2017-9-15_15-32-18.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Will be on Xbox soon.
Yep, but not PS4. This is going to be the first major wave in Microsoft's strategy to dissolve the "exclusive" wall between it and PC.

Microsoft desperately needed this, and kudos to them for helping to make it happen. Bluehole Studios is the developer, but Microsoft published the game.

Yep, but not PS4. This is going to be the first major wave in Microsoft's strategy to dissolve the "exclusive" wall between it and PC.

Microsoft desperately needed this, and kudos to them for helping to make it happen. Bluehole Studios is the developer, but Microsoft published the game.

apparently its only a matter of time before ps4 gets it

At the very least 1/3rd of the players in their daily peaks are of player accounts botting.

PUBG is the most buggy, unoptimized, piece of shit, and I can't put it down.

I haven't been following this game at all. It's like Counterstrike?

You can now play in either first or third person. You parachute onto a large open world with up to 100 other players, loot weapons and supplies, last man standing wins. Play area shrinks as the game goes on

I haven't been following this game at all. It's like Counterstrike?

It's the anti-counter strike in a way.

Total lone wolf instead of team play

But it's similar in that you can die very easily, even with armor. You're definitely not a bullet sponge.

Also, you're not just fighting against others, but also against time. So while you're searching and looting for equipment, you're pressed to move on towards the next boundary.

You're constantly weighing risk vs reward. Certain areas have high value items, but attract hoards of players. See three or four players running around a few buildings... Do you go in or go around?

You can try low density areas and hope you get lucky.

Vehicles help a lot, but I've found them to be a "Here I Am" beacon. And end up attracting the attention of anyone nearby.

I'm terrible in straight up encounters. I do better being patient and stalking someone. But that only goes so far.

I think my best has been around top 20 with 3 kills... lol, not very good. But I don't usually feel cheated like other shooters. Typically, I make a tactical mistake and get killed. Not because I lost against another player with better shooter skill.

Nice thing though, you can play anyway you want and youre never worried about a shitty team ever. Or being the shitty player.

Run and gun - check
Stalker - check
Sniper - check

Situational awareness is probably the most important skill. Then aiming skill.

If you go aggressive then die quickly, who cares. You just jump into the next game. You don't have wait for he current game to end.

I can't wait for my bro to get it. I'm looking forward to playing 2man squad.

Just wish I was better at these games, but I still enjoy them.

Last edited:

It's the anti-counter strike in a way.

Total lone wolf instead of team play

But it's similar in that you can die very easily, even with armor. You're definitely not a bullet sponge.

Also, you're not just fighting against others, but also against time. So while you're searching and looting for equipment, you're pressed to move on towards the next boundary.

You're constantly weighing risk vs reward. Certain areas have high value items, but attract hoards of players. See three or four players running around a few buildings... Do you go in or go around?

You can try low density areas and hope you get lucky.

Vehicles help a lot, but I've found them to be a "Here I Am" beacon. And end up attracting the attention of anyone nearby.

I'm terrible in straight up encounters. I do better being patient and stalking someone. But that only goes so far.

I think my best has been around top 20 with 3 kills... lol, not very good. But I don't usually feel cheated like other shooters. Typically, I make a tactical mistake and get killed. Not because I lost against another player with better shooter skill.

Nice thing though, you can play anyway you want and youre never worried about a shitty team ever. Or being the shitty player.

Run and gun - check
Stalker - check
Sniper - check

Situational awareness is probably the most important skill. Then aiming skill.

If you go aggressive then die quickly, who cares. You just jump into the next game. You don't have wait for he current game to end.

I can't wait for my bro to get it. I'm looking forward to playing 2man squad.

Just wish I was better at these games, but I still enjoy them.

Huh, sounds kind of cool actually. Doubt my 6 year old laptop would run it though, and based on earlier posts sounds like PS4 is not in the game's future.

Ha! Of course right after posting, I go 5 kills and make rank #4.

Jesus, that last part was intense. I got snuck up on from behind and still almost pulled it off. I had an AKM with a scope equipped and swapped to the UMP and got him pretty good.

He died right after trying to loot my stuff. He probably should have left it alone. Hopefully, you're properly equipped when you get the final 10 or so. Tactical mistake.

Well, off to the gym. Maybe more tonight.

Huh, sounds kind of cool actually. Doubt my 6 year old laptop would run it though, and based on earlier posts sounds like PS4 is not in the game's future.

Yeah... It's worth upgrading your computer for it. It's not a graphically intense game like Battlefield, so maybe you don't need a high dollar rig.

I've read it's better to play with the graphics turned down anyway. If you put the foliage on Ultra, you may think you're hiding in a bunch of grass, but someone who has the setting on low will see you as bright as day... lol.

I've turned most of the settings down to medium for the most part.

Last edited:
That's pretty insane. I remember playing it at San Diego comic con back in 2016 and thinking "this won't go anywhere". Shows how much I know.

I ended buying it and returning it because it felt like a camp fest. It had incredible tension, though. It felt like much of the excitement was when something wasn't happening. I'll probably still pick it up again but I was hoping for a little more variety.

PUBG is insane. Duos and 4 player team matches are gamechangers after playing solo for a while. Glad they have gotten rid of a lot of cheaters, I definitely got hit with some suspect shots when I first started playing. With the servers rubberbanding though sometimes it feels like you got screwed when in reality you just were lagging. I mix up my strategies depending what kind of area I am in. Low crawling across some of those open grasslands is fun and nerve-wracking as hell. I've gotten some awesome kills out there but also been ran over a few times as well lol. Once they get it all worked out and optimized, it's gonna be something special. I can't imagine once they really get to work making new maps and gameplay modes.

Well, the record is broken.
PUBG with 1,349,584 concurrent players on Steam.
It is FUN. Fun to play, and even fun to watch your favorite streamer(or others) play.
Namely, it has more than double views on Twitch last few months per month than Overwatch had on its best months.
No downtime in play IMO helps a lot for popularity.
It's also spread out as currently most popular PC game in Norway, Straya, Japan.

However, I don't see how they make this esport success. You have 16 solos/teams playing the same map against each other simultaneously.
Nothing was ever close to that. Not even going into other hurdles.

Hell, you don't even get to see who's in your game... unless you're paying attention to the kill notifications.

Maybe there is a way to see who's in your game and I just don't know.

How do viewers know when they are in a twitch streamers game and troll them?

I heard they do it, I just don't know how they know.

PUBG is insane. Duos and 4 player team matches are gamechangers after playing solo for a while. Glad they have gotten rid of a lot of cheaters, I definitely got hit with some suspect shots when I first started playing. With the servers rubberbanding though sometimes it feels like you got screwed when in reality you just were lagging. I mix up my strategies depending what kind of area I am in. Low crawling across some of those open grasslands is fun and nerve-wracking as hell. I've gotten some awesome kills out there but also been ran over a few times as well lol. Once they get it all worked out and optimized, it's gonna be something special. I can't imagine once they really get to work making new maps and gameplay modes.

Yeah, I'm pumped to play duo. I don't like chatting with randoms, like in battlefield, but a 2 or 4 man team would be great.

Speaking of chatty players, I got matched up with this dude in battlefield last weekend and he was hilarious. He just went off non-stop, talking game stuff or random nonsense. He was great.

I can't do that. I get too into it and clam up. Wish I didn't.

Duo and solo are my favorite though I have only played squads a few times. I had a goddamn blast playing squads though and if I had a regular team I would play way more I think, especially if we had access to some training grounds (this session was my roommate and two dudes from his work). Playing with my roommate is always hilarious too though because we have polar opposite play styles. We ended up deciding that we had to take turns and designate a leader or it just ends up a clusterfuck lol. Typically he wants to go straight for the safe zones and basically does the slow and steady advance until we are in the top 10 teams. I on the other hand like to grab a vehicle and just go mob around shooting at people in random towns/houses that we happen across lol. Not the most effective strategy, but goddamn it is fun.

Back