Public Service Announcement: Aspartame is...

Sinister

Doctor of Doom
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
SAFE!! Oh yes. Safe AND effective.

Because I always see ZEALOUS lists of the EXTREME illnesses that are allegedly stemming from the use of aspartame I decided to keep my eye out for anyone with sense to finally say something about it or elude to any further-documented research on the artificial sweetener. And lo-and-behold, someone has. If I were in a position to do my own research in a lab I would have, believe me. Because as I've stated before all of the demonization of aspartame I've seen sounds more to me like people with illnesses looking for something to blame, and half-reading research concerning the nature of various items. Like how for a month or two a lot of people were returning their bottles of Vitamin E, because they read a sentence in an article that said Vitamin E WILL kill you, neverminding that they've already been taking it for YEARS with no viable health-concerns that can be linked to it.

So here's the scoop on Aspartame:

According to the August 2005 issue of Discover Magazine (mind-you, Discover makes no money from either the continued use or halted use of aspartame, thus they have no vested interest or motive to falsify information), research has confirmed that when Aspartame is digested, the methyl-ester bond does indeed break down into methanol (or wood alcohol), which then further degrades into formaldehyde. Both of these substances can be toxic in high doses.

HOWEVER...if you read the WHOLE article it tells you that you'd have to drink 600...let me spell that out for you. S-I-X H-U-N-D-R-E-D cans of diet soda to get as much of either substance as is contained in a single ORANGE.

That's right. Oranges will kill you faster than aspartame will. DAMN! Never trust citrus I tell you.

Bottom-line is Aspartame is the single-most studied and clinically tested sweetener available. And not one study has linked it to any harmful effects. Sugar, now that's another story.

DIET SODA FOR ALL!!

^There are plenty of things "Mother Nature" produces that can kill you instantly. Perhaps you should trust gathered data, that's WHY we have brains.

I have been waiting for your lashing on this subject KK.

I'll stick with the non-chemical variety of sweetners still. I will always have a hard time with knowingly ingesting something that my body says tastes soooo bad. I've assumed the reason it tastes so bad is because it's a chemical and I'm not suppossed to be eating chemicals if I could help it.

Diet Soda screams chemical to me.

And I don't eat oranges.

Congratulations on some clinical backing.

lol Chad I don't much care for aspartame use myself. I just don't like when something is witch-hunted and people believe it. You know? Your decision to not ingest aspartame, or Oranges is to me, a bit more realistic because I understand your perspective and personality. In-fact, I myself often detour people from the use of any artificial sweeteners...and encourage them to get used to the REAL taste of food as it's supposed to taste. This post was more to say if you're going to hate on Aspartame at-least hate on it for a legitimate reason. "I don't like it" is far more credible than "it will kill you!!!" Because it just won't.

Bye the way, I wonder how many people are now going to be pissed at oranges. lol

"EXTREME illnesses that are allegedly stemming from...a single ORANGE...Oranges will kill you faster than aspartame will. DAMN! Never trust citrus I tell you...Bottom-line is Aspartame is the single-most studied and...has linked it to... harmful effects...SODA FOR ALL!!"--King Kabuki(paraphrased)

Oranges kill you? fuck, I just bought a whole batch. Now I didn't have enough time to actually read your whole post; I just skimmed it. But now I don't have time to go back and read it all, I have to get rid of these toxic killing-machine oranges, fuck....

Oranges kill you? fuck, I just bought a whole batch. Now I didn't have enough time to actually read your whole post; I just skimmed it. But now I don't have time to go back and read it all, I have to get rid of these toxic killing-machine oranges, fuck....

lol Oh yes! Don't look behind you, they know your plans and there is an orange with a knife behind your back AS YOU READ THIS! DUCK!

HOLY SHIT! NEVER EAT ORANGES. Thanks KK, I have finally found a reason to abandon all fruit.

Secondly, you hear about that life cereal kid? He drank six hundred cans of diet soda on a dare. He then ate an orange (he loves them apparently) right after and the huge amounts of wood alcohol and other things combining and reacting killed him. True story.

My grandfather died when a crate of oranges fell from an 11th story window and crashed down on his head. Evidence that oranges do in fact kill.

Secondly, you hear about that life cereal kid? He drank six hundred cans of diet soda on a dare. He then ate an orange (he loves them apparently) right after and the huge amounts of wood alcohol and other things combining and reacting killed him. True story.

I heard an update stating that when the methanol degraded into formaldehyde, it immediately turned him into the Undead, and an epidemic was started of undead who also have diabetes, high blood-pressure, AIDS, and enlarged brain abscesses.

Don't question it.

Rjkd12 said:
HOLY SHIT! NEVER EAT ORANGES. Thanks KK, I have finally found a reason to abandon all fruit.

Did any of this involve "Pop-Rocks"?

King Kabuki said:
lol Oh yes! Don't look behind you, they know your plans and there is an orange with a kife behind your back AS YOU READ THIS! DUCK!

Kife's > Knives. Look out! :icon_twis

Well also, from the little I read of "Aspartame is Evil" link, it seems like the people who did have problems it stemmed more from "allergic reactions" then that fact that aspartame is poison. Virtually any substance has people that are allergic to it. I think there are even a few cases of people allergic to water of all things. Glad to know I don't have to wig out over my Diet Coke now.

Diet Coke for the win!!!

King Kabuki said:
SAFE!! Oh yes. Safe AND effective.

HOWEVER...if you read the WHOLE article it tells you that you'd have to drink 600...let me spell that out for you. S-I-X H-U-N-D-R-E-D cans of diet soda to get as much of either substance as is contained in a single ORANGE.

That's right. Oranges will kill you faster than aspartame will. DAMN! Never trust citrus I tell you.

DIET SODA FOR ALL!!

Yes but fruits that contain methanol will also always contain ethanol and pectin which prevents methanol from turning into formaldehyde (and formic acid in some cases).

I rather use Stevia instead of aspartame.

Wolverine
///

Yes but fruits that contain methanol will also always contain ethanol and pectin which prevents methanol from turning into formaldehyde (and formic acid in some cases).

I rather use Stevia instead of aspartame.

Good point on the fruits, but still, 600 cans of diet coke = 1 orange. And that's 600 at a time, which need to be multiplied by the amount of methanol to be toxic. You'd die of a million other things drinking 600 cans of diet coke at a time before the aspartame toxicity sets in.

I'd rather use none of them. I hate the idea of sweeteners in-general because I don't understand why people can't just taste the way food tastes. But that's just my own personal Nazi view.

aspartame still tastes like asspartame to me... HAHAH! GET IT! I put an extra s in there to make it say ASS! so what I was saying is it tastes like ass! HAHAHAHAH I am so fucking clever it should be illegal!

aspartame still tastes like asspartame to me... HAHAH! GET IT! I put an extra s in there to make it say ASS! so what I was saying is it tastes like ass! HAHAHAHAH I am so fucking clever it should be illegal!

*suspects Urban has an excess of formaldehyde in the brain from one-too-many Oranges*

I eat an ungodly amount of oranges and clementines.

I'm scared as fuck right now.

so basically what you're saying is that oranges have artificial sweeteners? :eek:

rofl

so basically what you're saying is that oranges have artificial sweeteners?

lol No. Oranges have methanol, wood-alcohol. Which makes sense seeing as it grows in trees and what have you.

But man I'm just entirely dis-illusioned about society's general lack of sense nowadays. You don't know how many times a day I hear a parent tell a child:

"Honey you don't need that. Protein is no good for you. I'll buy you a Snicker bar on the way home."

ARGH.

Urban said:
Uh...I don't get it.

You know, it's funny, I had an aunt that wouldn't let my cousins drink some of the Diet Shasta (yeah, it was a long time ago) that we had at our house because she was afraid it would give them cancer.

As far as the oranges go, I don't know if I buy that! I mean, I have some right here in my kitch... wait, where are they? What, no, NOOOO!!! Please, not in the EYE!! AAAHHHHHH!!!!!

farmboy said:
Uh...I don't get it.

As far as the oranges go, I don't know if I buy that! I mean, I have some right here in my kitch... wait, where are they? What, no, NOOOO!!! Please, not in the EYE!! AAAHHHHHH!!!!!

As I already stated:

"... fruits that contain methanol will also always contain ethanol and pectin which prevents methanol from turning into formaldehyde (and formic acid in some cases). "

So you got nothing to worry about with Oranges, or any fruit that has methanol in it. KK was just trying to make a point.

Wolverine
///

Back