Public Service Announcement: Aspartame is...

lmao. This thread seems legit, I don't see any paid posting by both sides in this thread. At all.

Bump

"In 1980 FDA Board of Inquiry, comprised of three independent scientists, which confirmed that it "might induce brain tumors."

The FDA had actually banned aspartame based on this finding, only to have Searle Chairman Donald Rumsfeld (currently the Secretary of Defense) vow to "call in his markers," to get it approved.

On January 21, 1981, the day after Ronald Reagan's inauguration, Searle re-applied to the FDA for approval to use aspartame in food sweetener, and Reagan's new FDA commissioner, Arthur Hayes Hull, Jr., appointed a 5-person Scientific Commission to review the board of inquiry's decision.

It soon became clear that the panel would uphold the ban by a 3-2 decision, but Hull then installed a sixth member on the commission, and the vote became deadlocked. He then personally broke the tie in aspartame's favor. Hull later left the FDA under allegations of impropriety, served briefly as Provost at New York Medical College, and then took a position with Burston-Marsteller, the chief public relations firm for both Monsanto and GD Searle. Since that time he has never spoken publicly about aspartame. "
From rense.com

Sketchy

I would personally trust initial reports of Aspartame, considering the amount of controversy about it.

It does not induce brain tumors.

I drink a shitload of diet soda. Any other ingredients in diet soda that are potentially detrimental? (sorry for noob question)

go on....

I retract my statement. I did some research and was educated. I was always under the impression that it was carbonic acid in sodas, not phosphoric acid. I read up, and quickly learned I was incorrect.

My bad.

Read the whole thread, you'll be a lot more certain after. I promise.

well, i dont even have to re-read it, I do trust you more than just some website i saw today. I was convincing a guy over the interwebs earlier about the safety of aspartame, but after I re-read some studies on it to make sure i wasn't just speaking out of my ass.

Formaldehyde Poisoning from Aspartame

I've trusted your words for many many months, but reading up on it again im starting to become uncertain.

Let's examine the claims from that page:

The following facts shown by recent scientific research:

Aspartame (nutrasweet) breaks down into methanol (wood alcohol).

True, among other things.

Methanol quickly converts to formadehyde in the body.

True.

Formaldehyde causes gradual and eventually severe damage to the neurological system, immune system and causes permanent genetic damage at extremely low doses.

Here's where the disingenuous part of the argument begins. "Extremely low doses" tells us nothing about the dosages required for the above damage to occur, nor does it tell us how much is present in aspartame containing products relative to the dangerous dosages. Always remember that it is a lot easier to misrepresent the truth than it is to outright lie. Most people won't fact check much beyond your key statements, and obscuring the truth from people who aren't science nuts is pretty easy when you use vague generalities.

Methanol from alcoholic beverages and from fruit and juices does not convert to formaldehyde and cause damage because there are protective chemicals in these traditionally ingested beverages.

:rolleyes:... Note that these "protective chemicals" aren't listed, nor is a mechanism for how this might work suggested. Despite what this person is suggesting, methanol consumed from any source is converted to formaldehyde and then formic acid. That's just how the body deals with methanol. Whackjobs like to claim that ethanol has a protective effect on methanol, and that this makes fruit juice and alcoholic drinks safe, but this is a total misunderstanding of methanol/ethanol metabolism in the body. Ethanol can be used to treat methanol poisoning, yes, but that's because ethanol is preferentially metabolized by the same enzyme that breaks down methanol, alcohol dehydrogenase. You show up with the signs of methanol poisoning, and are given ethanol. This causes your body to stop metabolizing methanol temporarily, and giving you a chance to "catch up" with the use or removal of formic acid in your system. If you consume something with both ethanol and methanol, there is no "protective effect." Your body breaks down all the ethanol first, then moves onto the methanol. Since the levels of methanol in alcoholic beverages and fruit/juice are so much higher than the equivalent amounts of aspartame beverages, they are much more dangerous if you are worried about methanol poisoning (which you shouldn't be... the amounts necessary to hit toxic levels are ridiculous).

The most recent independent research in Europe demonstrates that ingestion of small amounts of aspartame leads to the accumulation of significant levels of formaldehyde (bound to protein) in organs (liver, kidneys, brain) and tissues.

Your body actually makes its own formaldehyde constantly throughout the day as part of cellular metabolism. There is a mechanism in place for removing it from the body. The "small amounts" listed above would need to be ridiculously high to outpace the speed at which the body breaks it down. A few hundred milligrams is a "small amount," but if that few hundred milligrams requires drinking 5 liters of diet coke in the space of a few minutes, calling it a "small amount" is disingenuous.

Excitotoxic amino acids such as the one which is immediately released from aspartame likely increases the damage caused by the formaldehyde.

Once again, no mechanism suggested beyond claiming that at lease one of the two amino acids is an excitotoxin. L-Aspartate and L-Phenylalanine are both naturally occurring constituents in the proteins we eat. If you consume protein in some way, shape, or form, you are likely getting far more of these amino acids from one meal than you could get from downing a gallon of diet coke.

Very good post.

I feel obligated to TTT this because I have something to say.
I just read Natural Cures 'They' Don't Want You to Know About and in it, it states how harmful asparatame is. It is addicting, it makes you more hungry, it makes you bloated, and continued drinking of diet soda does form a physical addiction.
Kevin Tredeau (spelling?) absolutely 100% has NOTHING TO GAIN from the truths he is telling in his book. He does not invest in any vitamin companies or anything like that, he does not advertise certain brands to take, etc. His information is unbiased and being attacked by the FDA because his research is showing people how to live without prescription drugs and non-prescription drugs. Therefore, his research is very harmful to the pharmaceuitical industry, which is directly linked to the FDA. That is why he is being attacked by the FDA.
My point is, while I 100% respect and 99% listen to what KK preaches, I have to disagree on this subject, this is my 1% of resistence. :)
We don't know if the study KK refers to was funded by the FDA (the most corrupt government agency in the world), or Coca-Cola, Pepsico, McDonalds, etc. The information in that research could be biased, and YES, there could be profit made by the results of their testing. Much more profit than could be made by saying asparatame is bad for you.
I am not preaching the drinking of normal soda. Hell, don't drink anything but water, man. But I would rather have an occasional Coke or applejuice than a diet soda.
I honestly believe diet soda was made to make people more fat, therefore making people drink more diet soda, and eventually giving them health problems. Health problems only the "Prescription Drug World" can handle.

Kevin Trudeau is a snake oil salesman and has been fined the Federal Trade Commission. This guy use to sell memory tapes before he started pedaling this book.

Kevin Trudeau is a snake oil salesman and has been fined the Federal Trade Commission. This guy use to sell memory tapes before he started pedaling this book.

To be fair, I know quite a few people who get bloated when they consume asparatame.

Formaldehyde? pfft Metabolism of fatty acids results in an acetone byproduct - so much of it you can smell it on morning breath. Be very afraid- acetone poisoning from fat.

Anyone know - what is the latest on aspartame and insulin responses/appetite? I haven't followed the literature recently.

I think it's included in that video.

Back