Pull/retreat advice

a lot of boxers drop their hands as well.

It's funny you say that because I remember @Sinister saying that hands should be high to maximise your offence, not defence.

Also I notice you're mentioning old school coaches a lot, but i think you're forgetting that there has NEVER been a uniform standard of what boxing is, even back then. You can say some old school coaches didn't like these techniques and be correct, but there are bound to be old school coaches that use them.

I can name a trainer who teaches the pill counter : Floyd Mayweather Sr., that is who taught me. He is almost as old school as it gets in the game.

It’s an extremely effective technique for me. The trick is to 1: not Telegraph it, and 2:manipulate the image of range

Of course speed plays a huge factor as well in terms of upper body movement & delivering the counter. If you’re opponent is in a normal stance, they cannot lean forward and deliver effective blows. If you can trick your opponent (by leaning forward into a stance where you cannot land effectiveness blows) into believing that you are within your normal punching range, and that they can hit you because of that, they will throw, come up short as you lean back, and pay for not realizing ur punching range was actually a few inches back. Bonus points if if they lean in or step into the shot because they are then colliding with ur punch.

If you are extremely fast with reflexes and hand speed, you can pull off the pull counter with ur opponent blatantly knowing ur going to pull counter ala Mayweather, with enough speed there is almost nothing you can do to prevent the pull counter from landing.

Feints would be the way to draw that one out. Or attempt to counter like Maidana

^ disappointed that this post hasn't been acknowledged yet.

How did Floyd approach teaching you it?

It's funny you say that because I remember @Sinister saying that hands should be high to maximise your offence, not defence.

Also I notice you're mentioning old school coaches a lot, but i think you're forgetting that there has NEVER been a uniform standard of what boxing is, even back then. You can say some old school coaches didn't like these techniques and be correct, but there are bound to be old school coaches that use them.
your right. styles of coaching vary dramatically, i was just a bit surprised is all. pulling back from punches was frowned on pretty well across the board back in the day. there were a lot of people that canned ali for it.

^ disappointed that this post hasn't been acknowledged yet.

How did Floyd approach teaching you it?

Some weird glitch going on for me, can’t see the reply box ..

Floyd just showed me and incorporated into padwork to flow seamlessly with my other punches, its not a step back so to speak , it’s a pull of the upper body onto the ball of the back foot ( think a sprinters stance ), recoiling back with a counter. He would always get mad at me cuz i woukd take a step back , because getting hit by his fast ass jab with the mitt on is not a comfortable feeling at all. He would tell me not to do it because thats “fighting scared” and the counter will never land properly, that the punch needs to miss by centimeters and you need to stay right there in punching range for it to work.

a lot of boxers drop their hands as well.

Yes because just keeping your hands glued to your cheeks is not a very valid defense and someone can simply smash strait through your high guard if " hands up!" is your main method of defense.

Boxers who have a notably good high guard have the accompanying footwork, body positioning and head movement to go along with it so this isnt a good comparison to pulling. Not to mention ive yet to see any examples of pulling being frowned upon as you can find the technique common amongst the old guard of boxers too.

Yes because just keeping your hands glued to your cheeks is not a very valid defense and someone can simply smash strait through your high guard if " hands up!" is your main method of defense.

Boxers who have a notably good high guard have the accompanying footwork, body positioning and head movement to go along with it so this isnt a good comparison to pulling. Not to mention ive yet to see any examples of pulling being frowned upon as you can find the technique common amongst the old guard of boxers too.
truly never heard of it? it was one of the first things i was taught, also heard marciano say it. i really don't like it for inexperienced people and i think there are a lot safer methods of defence. pull away if you like, but you couldn't pay me to do it in boxing. @YoungCashMoney is great at it and if your as skilled as he is, it is no doubt a good technique, but an inexperienced fighter is likely to get clobbered repeatedly before they learn how to do it properly.

truly never heard of it? it was one of the first things i was taught, also heard marciano say it. i really don't like it for inexperienced people and i think there are a lot safer methods of defence. pull away if you like, but you couldn't pay me to do it in boxing. @YoungCashMoney is great at it and if your as skilled as he is, it is no doubt a good technique, but an inexperienced fighter is likely to get clobbered repeatedly before they learn how to do it properly.
If you have the sense of distancing wrong , you can very easily launch yourself into a right hand counter/ right hand in general.

Most people throw a 1-2, if you pull the 1 and you don’t really know what you are doing with the technique., you’ll run face first into the 2 and most likely end up on the canvas. I agree it is an advanced technique and should not be used by any beginner/intermediate level fighter unless they really have it down.

If you have the sense of distancing wrong , you can very easily launch yourself into a right hand counter/ right hand in general.

Most people throw a 1-2, if you pull the 1 and you don’t really know what you are doing with the technique., you’ll run face first into the 2 and most likely end up on the canvas. I agree it is an advanced technique and should not be used by any beginner/intermediate level fighter unless they really have it down.
i was always a bit slow to use techniques that rely on speed and reflex, thats probably why i'm not really a fan. dam you make it look good though. have you got any fights posted, i would like to watch a few.

i am really surprised that none of you have heard the old boxing adage, that you never pull straight back from punches. i'm not saying it doesn't work, i'm just saying it isn't worth trying unless you really know what your doing. and have the reflexes to match.

Well, the (proper) pull counter doesn't go straight back and then straight in... so that's a pretty moot point. A pull counter will have you taking your head offline as you come back with the shot, not coming back in the same path.

And although all of the images posted are of rear hand pull counters, that's not the only way you can use it. You can also jab with it, which is great when you know they're following up with their rear hand because instead of slipping and firing immediately, you're letting him miss with the 2 as well by pulling the jab and then slipping the rear. One of my go-to counter combinations starts with either a pull or slip and then 1>6>3.

I can see why you'd think the pull counter is a high risk move, so did I for a few sparrings before I "got it", but it really isn't when you have the proper technique, muscle memory and an incorporated jab.

Last edited:
The "pull" is something I've only had 1 instructor ever show me correctly. Suprising because it's actually simple.

All it is, is loading all of your bodyweight onto the ball of your back foot. That will naturally pull your upper body/head back a few inches, and will load your body weight to spring back into the counter.

If you need to "pull" further, then you're just going to take a small step back before loading your weight onto the ball of the back foot.

Back