Pulling off submissions with small limbs

MMouse

Now you enter...the shredder
Banned
Reaction score
Having just start BJJ about a month and half ago and loving it.

Along the way I find certain submissions harder to pull than others due to being short and stocky (especially since I got small limbs).

I was wondering if any experience short limb bjj practitioners can relate? What are some submissions easier to pull and what are the ones you find harder?

They all work you just have to train longer. You will just naturally gravitate toward a few moves.

I would worry about being a master at the mount, cross choke and arm bar all from the mount.

Honestly the better you get you should have an easy time doing most of them. There are some that are more helpful with longer limbs, like all of the various leg triangles and arm triangles. But even then, once you're able to get yourself in position you should be fine. There are great small guys with short limbs that have awesome leg triangles and arm triangles. There are also long limb guys that aren't good at 'short limb moves'. Just stick with it. :)

If you really want to study someone with shorter limbs that adjusted his game for it, Marcelo Garcia is a perfect one to watch. But at the same time he has some pretty strong beliefs about what works and doesn't work for shorter limbed people, and since you're so new to training I would encourage you to still keep an open mind.

I Would say most of them should work on the right opponent. If you have short stocky legs, you are not going to be triangle Brock lesnar type of dudes anytime Soon, arm tirangles such as darces and bravos are not going to be your thjng either, Japanese ties though are a good substitute....

Focus on no arm in chokes.

Because of your body frame some submissions will be easier and other's harder. The longer you train, the better you'll get at executing the techniques. There may be some techniques that you'll never master but you're game will develop towards your strengths. I recommend that you don't discard techniques without putting in a full effort. You may surprise yourself.

I have two guys that I train a lot with that are on the same frame has TS

they both will try a triangle if its given to them

One of them have a very tough guard to break even if he's basically locking with his toes. He's very strong with the lapel chokes when on top or in the guard (cross choke, baseball bat choke, all the chokes using the lapel from full mount, side control or north south.)

The other is an expert back taker, he's very strong with the bow & arrow, loop choke from the back and the rear naked choke. HAving short limbs helps him to keep the hooks in.

Back