Punching with the first two knuckles?

i try and use this all the time, however, i struggle amidst the flow of a loose snapping punch to clench into this shape properly on impact. if i hold that shape while throwing, generally im too tense in the arm. work in progree i guess.

i try and use this all the time, however, i struggle amidst the flow of a loose snapping punch to clench into this shape properly on impact. if i hold that shape while throwing, generally im too tense in the arm. work in progree i guess.

Just practice it slowly. I like to coordinate the clench with sitting down on the punch.

The kinetic punch that i teach lands with the two knuckles(well inside if the middle knuckle) this gives you a huge step up in power, with extra reach/head movement.but its not just the part of the knuckle you land with,its the way you use your arm,your driving the punch rather than swinging it.this punch isn't available in boxing gloves,because the thumb position gets in the way.

I Recently had chance to measure the difference on the "strikemate" that Conor Mcgreggor has used to test his punches on.
Heres a comparison with the difference in measurements from a muay thai instructor,
His standard boxing cross punch,measured at 28,580 cu
His kinetic cross punch measured at 46,795cu
Thats an increase of 63% in power,though it tends to average at 40%

heres a clip of me testing in the difference,between the boxing punch 14oz gloves and the kinetic punch with small mma type gloves,you can see that theres more than double the power of the boxing jab,cross and overhand hook.using the kinetic punch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mra2pDVUOFU&index=47&list=PLa3lfJInckC1p09egQZOk-q6yFHETQs7f

when you look at this clip with Bas rutten the same punch in different gloves,is a maximum of 20% more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRmOOWPTRBs

I did too initially, so what i did to correct this is hold a semi firm fist that is still relaxed enough that my forearm and biceps aren't too concentrated. Similar to how Fedor does before he explodes (though his punching style is different, especially with the casting punch).

I would agree that it's safest to punch with the first two knuckles. I'm reasonably sure that's just good punching form, in general, and is going to help a person hit harder and faster, too.

You won't always be able to control what part of your hand makes contact, but trying for the first two knuckles will make a difference, I think.

I don't know if it makes any difference that I've owned a heavy bag and worked out with it regularly from the time I was 12 (I'm 35, now), but I've never used wraps. I don't wrap before sparring, or hitting mitts or the heavy bag, or anything else. For the most of the first half of that twenty years or so, I just hit the bag bare-handed. I didn't know any better, and now I'm just used to it. I wear gloves now, most of the time, to avoid skinned knuckles, but I still never wrap and I have regularly hit a heavy bag, often as hard as I can, for twenty-some years, bare-handed. And I've never hurt anything from doing it. First two knuckles feels right to me.

And I know when you hit somebody bare-handed in the body, first knuckles makes a lot of difference. I don't know if I would ever hit somebody above their eyes, without a glove on, full power, with a closed fist. That seems like too big a risk to your hands. Hitting the human skull is like trying to hit a bowling ball wrapped in a cheap steak. Pop goes the metacarpal.

TS, sounds like you did great to me. It also sounds like your critic was looking for an excuse to talk about something he knows. Fights are crazy. Who's paying extra special attention to what part of their glove is landing first? If you got a KO and your hand's okay, you can't be punching that badly, right?

So having watched the video by Sinister a few years ago I've learned how to properly punch with correct knuckle placement.

Then I came across this video where the train advocates hitting higher up to develop good habits of keeping the hands up and shoulder endurance. However, isn't aiming the punch higher up going to mess with the knuckle placement on a heavy bag and training you to hit with poor form? You're not hitting with the index and middle knuckle anymore when you aim slightly up. Instead you use your 1st finger knuckles.

@Sinister do you have any thoughts on this?

I have trouble landing first two knuckles. They just dont line up that well for me. Maybe it is different for every ethnicity.

So having watched the video by Sinister a few years ago I've learned how to properly punch with correct knuckle placement.

Then I came across this video where the train advocates hitting higher up to develop good habits of keeping the hands up and shoulder endurance. However, isn't aiming the punch higher up going to mess with the knuckle placement on a heavy bag and training you to hit with poor form? You're not hitting with the index and middle knuckle anymore when you aim slightly up. Instead you use your 1st finger knuckles.

In the video the guy is too close to the bag to allow his fist to be rotated inwards. Near the end of the video you can see he's naturally making some effort to connect with the correct knuckles. if you're too close to the opponent you can keep fist vertical, since you're bringing your fist inwards slightly there is just enough angle to land on the middle knuckle.

I'm sure if the guy in the video was standing his full punching distance back he could easily demonstrate correct knuckle placement. The video's purpose wasn't for that it was a quick demo for endurance

Great way to practice form is to lightly bare knuckle punch your door frame molding. It'll directly tell you if your hitting with the first two knuckles. Might take a month to really get it fast so you're not "missing" by hitting with the ring and pinky. Work all your basic punch forms. Transfers great to the heavy bag cause you'll be able to wallop it correctly with scary power. I'm not like Tocco...I will skin my knuckles raw... Cool clip by the way!

My MT trainer always tells us to punch with the middle knuckle first, like you're stabbing it into your opponent .

Last edited:
If you punch with horizontal punches, there is quite good chance to land with your fingers first and after this with you knuckles.

With all due respect, this video is useless.

to the OP, if you were sparring with gloves on, i dont see how anyone would be able to determine what knuckle you are hitting with.

what knuckle I hit someone with while fighting is not on my mind at all. i dont aim with my middle knuckle or whatever......I just punch. Just aim with the center of your fist and you should be fine. I think making a proper fist is more important than what knuckle you hit with.

Bottom 3. Bruce Lee and the majority of traditional martial arts use them. Hundreds and thousands of years of honing a technique.

Cant see NHB having much of a viable say on this one. Too new. Not long enough to be able to claim authority

If you punch with horizontal punches, there is quite good chance to land with your fingers first and after this with you knuckles.
if you know how to punch and aim the chance of hitting with your fingers first isn't that good...it's pretty low...

if you know how to punch and aim the chance of hitting with your fingers first isn't that good...it's pretty low...
Yeah, theoretically sounds great, but try to land first with you knuckles. Just try it. If you fo to the chin, it is ok, but if there is something below your knuckles it is goong to meet your hand first.

to the OP, if you were sparring with gloves on, i dont see how anyone would be able to determine what knuckle you are hitting with.

what knuckle I hit someone with while fighting is not on my mind at all. i dont aim with my middle knuckle or whatever......I just punch. Just aim with the center of your fist and you should be fine. I think making a proper fist is more important than what knuckle you hit with.

It makes a significant difference though imho. Punches feel much more solid and penetrative is the best way I can describe it. The wrist is much more stable as well.

You can't really notice it wearing 16oz gloves for sure. But next time you put on heavy bag mitts/gloves - try punching the heavy bag with the first two knuckles as opposed to what you might usually do. You'll feel the difference immediately.

I think it's equally important to learn how to make a proper fist and learning to land with the first two knuckles. They go together.

You can make a proper fist but if you don't orientate or land your punches correctly you'll tweak your wrists and potentially ruin your hands when they make contact with something.

You can get away with it wearing sparring gloves but you can't get away with it wearing bag mitts or anything less.

This was how I was taught to punch at least - proper clenching of the fist alongside landing with the first two knuckles. I've always punched like this even when sparring too.

It's just a good habit to get into. Otherwise you develop a habit you can't break and next thing you know you've injured your hand because of it.

Gloves get broken in to how how you hold your hand also. At least, good ones do

It makes a significant difference though imho. Punches feel much more solid and penetrative is the best way I can describe it. The wrist is much more stable as well.

You can't really notice it wearing 16oz gloves for sure. But next time you put on heavy bag mitts/gloves - try punching the heavy bag with the first two knuckles as opposed to what you might usually do. You'll feel the difference immediately.

I think it's equally important to learn how to make a proper fist and learning to land with the first two knuckles. They go together.

You can make a proper fist but if you don't orientate or land your punches correctly you'll tweak your wrists and potentially ruin your hands when they make contact with something.

You can get away with it wearing sparring gloves but you can't get away with it wearing bag mitts or anything less.

This was how I was taught to punch at least - proper clenching of the fist alongside landing with the first two knuckles. I've always punched like this even when sparring too.

It's just a good habit to get into. Otherwise you develop a habit you can't break and next thing you know you've injured your hand because of it.

when I use the tennis ball hat, I must hit with that middle knuckle to control the ball well.

i just look at it as a little over the top technique wise, if you make a proper fist and all the other stuff that goes along with it, if you just hit with the center of your hand you should be fine. like kicks for example, mid shin is best power, but sometimes i hit lower shin or even foot, still a hit that ill take. now that I think about it I am much more concerned about hitting with the shin when I kick compared to mid knuckle when I punch.

I mostly use bag mitts, so next time im on the bag ill give it a shot and really try to focus on the mid knuckle to see if I can feel a difference.

Back