Qualities of a 'Good' Student

I was inspired by SpaceTrash's threads and remembered a relevant quote. ..
"it is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows" - Epictetus

What qualities do you feel are important for students?
Anyone have horror stories that they would like to share?
How would you reward a good student, or deal with a bad one?

Any quotes from known coaches on the subject are welcome as well!

Most important qualities of a successful student:
  • Number 1: have a growth mindset. You have to be willing to be coached to improve.
  • Number 2: show up, consistently.
  • Number 3: you have to be comfortable with sucking for a long time and sticking it out until you get enough skill to have seniority.
In terms of horror stories, I remember once working with an a newcomer. She was in her late 40s or something, and had been to a couple of classes. As I held for her, I called out the combos, which made her mad for some reason. When it was her turn to hold for me, she would not listen to instructions on how to absorb the low kick properly. I told her several times how to do it safely, but she refused. I was far more experienced than her, as well as bigger, so it was pretty hard not to just want to chop her leg down out of frustration (but I didn't).

With good students, I think they will naturally get more coaching because they're willing to take the feedback without throwing a hissy fit. Plus, if they're working hard and playing well with others, then they're simply going to do better.

Dealing with a bad one? I think they eventually sort themselves out by either dropping out or hopefully, realizing they suck and changing their attitude.

When I'm working with our kids class, if they keep being a stinker I will basically put them in time out. Thankfully it's only happened once that I had to put a kid in time out (and it was the worst). I wish it were easier to "time out" an adult sometimes though.

Back