Quentin Tarantino or Christopher Nolan?

?

• Total voters
Yes I have quite awhile ago and whilst he takes the basic setup and the twist with the poison from it ultimately its much less similar to the original than the Magnificent Seven is, all the racial/civil war elements(which is really what the film ends up being about) aren't present and the climax is totally different.

You’re right, they’re not even close. Tarantino probably never even saw it, I’m sure it’s all just coincidence. Or if he did, so what, it was just the setup, plot, twists, etc. No credit is owed, what was I thinking. Solid chat.

Your point?

That QT rips off other filmmakers, quite shamelessly, beyond the point of homage or nebulous ‘influence’.

This ain’t the science of rockets.

tenor.gif

And I note, I still love him anyway.

Your point?
j3SOktP.gif

We both know THE DARK KNIGHT is influenced by HEAT, and you've probably heard that INCEPTION is inspired by PAPRIKA and we don't have to get into the Scrooge McDuck...tale. DUNKIRK is essentially BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN.

Claims of plagiarism/homage? Again:
j3SOktP.gif

j3SOktP.gif

Honestly in that respect I think Tarantino is actually less guilty than a lot of film makers in that he's not just lifting influences but often specifically playing against them. What you get from him often works by confounding expectations from his influences.

As I said though I think its really only the first album(and the Lemon Song) that includes much that could really be viewed as theft rather than small influences on original work and when that was released they were far from rich, Page was doing ok from the Yardbirds and Jones was a session guy whilst the other two were dirt poor. Plus of course its not like this kind of thing wasn't very common in that era, Zep was arguably the point were serious money started to be involved though.

I mean you can say in Page's favour that he was never shy to credit his band mates, Jones and Bonham have a load of writing credits and in the latters case especially were basically material that evolved from jamming. Compare that to say Waters in Pink Floyd sucking up as much credit as possible for coming up with a basic idea others worked on.

Shadiest part of Jimmy’s past was not borrowing a few chords from long dead musicians......

I don't get Tarantino appeal. His movies are bland and not interesting imo.

Forcing people to chose over 2 equally talented directors. Whatcha trying to start, a war?

This ain’t the science of rockets.
Nothing gets by you.
Honestly in that respect I think Tarantino is actually less guilty than a lot of film makers in that he's not just lifting influences but often specifically playing against them. What you get from him often works by confounding expectations from his influences.
images_q_tbn_ANd9_Gc_Tx_HDSBz_Mze_JQhfa_Xl1pw3_SGc_Jc_PTq_Bzs_Iu_Wo_DRC1l_Ezw_ZE8w_1_A.jpg

Tarantino, although I like both guy’s movies.

I went with Nolan.
Tarantino has always irked me in that, he's really very good but was still overhyped by a hardcore population of nuthuggers. I like that he finds inspiration in the films he was fascinated by growing up in the seventies but I don't love that he can't seem to step off that bus.

Tarantino really is great, but Nolan is just better.

Tarantino's style buys him a lot of super fans and die-hards who wish they could make movies and who love his over-the-top style. But a lot of his stuff feels contrived and sometimes it honestly just feels overworked, now & then he puts a little too much Tarantino on it and watching his work gets tiresome. He has a few out and out duds too imo.

He is a bit of a puzzle, because I truly feel like he is great, truly great, yet somehow overrated at the same time.

Both are great, I prefer Quinton but I think some peoples problem with him is that they go into his movies expecting a lot of action and that’s probably the least important part of the films he makes.

Nolan can't direct at all

He has big ideas, but the execution is awful

Tarantino. Nolan doesn’t write the scripts, does he? Tarantino does.

Him and his brother usually write his movies.

Which honestly is I think his main weakness, Nolan can obviously direct actors well but he's often fighting against rather bland expositionary dialog.

For all Sherdog's hate of Fury Road that film to me clearly shows the difference, it doesn't need to constantly be carping on with Max, Furisoa, Nux, etc giving us exposition as the detail of the characters and the world is revealed in a more subtle fashion.

Last edited:
Love me some Tarantino but I vowed long ago never to watch another Nolan movie again for as long as I live.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back