Question about American politics.

Have you seen the amount of straight answer dodging that happens on the presidential elections? They'll talk and talk and talk and by the end you realize they never came close to touching the subject matter of the question itself

Now imagine that, but with everyone screaming at once

Little known about American politics: it used to be way way more contentious. For example, there was once a brawl on the floor of the Louisiana State Legislature that became known as "Bloody Monday". Brass knuckles were reportedly used. (Additional fun fact: It involved a plot to rig voting machines.)

What was he yelling about? Were they trying to take away his Twitter or something?
I guess I can see why he would upset about that.

If you watch the clip, you know what he's yelling about.

From Huey Long's Louisiana Hayride, pg 70:

"Declaring that adjournment had carried, Fournet left. The Louisiana House of Representatives turned into a rioting mob. Men beat each other with ink wells, slugged with both fists. Shirts were torn off, eyes gouged, heads butted on desks. One or two oppositionists sobbed helplessly: "Oh God, we must do something... don't let them get away with this." One member, bounding from desk to desk toward the rostrum, was slugged with brass knuckles and seriously cut in the head.(A departure, that, for even a Louisiana legislature.) Men piled on men in the pit at the front."

Shoot, you're right, I should have included some petty and irrelevant insult to divert attention from the topic. I'll edit that in, thanks.
You suffer from a lack of self-awareness.

If you watch the clip, you know what he's yelling about.

Yeah, okay, I do. He's yelling about procedural stuff. He wants an up or down vote, and some people are holding out for reasons he doesn't agree with. It's just that his grandstanding is overshadowed by the irony of him turning out to be one of the biggest douchebags of all time.

In Australia, NZ & Britain, Parliament has Question Time. It's when the elected politicians get together and questions are asked by some members of one party to members from a different party. Sometimes it can get quite heated, but unfortunately there are also times when they act like children too.
Is there anything like this in American politics?
I'd love to see the Republicans & the Democrats doing this. The Democrats are always moaning about the President so it would be interesting to see them do this to his face.

Our politicians don't need to fight on the floor of Congress. They can froth at the mouth and scream while a tv camera is in front of their faces.

Big ratings for cable TV

Yeah, okay, I do. He's yelling about procedural stuff. He wants an up or down vote, and some people are holding out for reasons he doesn't agree with. It's just that his grandstanding is overshadowed by the irony of him turning out to be one of the biggest douchebags of all time.

Fair enough. Not sure douchebag is a strong enough word, the guy is sick and needs psychological help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back