Question about competition gloves

MandM

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey Guys
I'm looking for a new pair of muay thai competition gloves. At the moment I tend towards some Boon lace up gloves. On their website, Boon sells 2 different lace up gloves for the same price.
The "normal" lace up glove (https://www.boonsport.com/collections/lace-up-gloves/products/bglr-lace-up-gloves-red) and the competition lace up glove (https://www.boonsport.com/collections/competition-gloves/products/bgprd-competition-gloves-red-white) seem to be very similar.
I wonder if there is a difference between these gloves or are they selling the same glove twice with different names?
Anyway can anyone of you recommend this glove(s) for fighting or should I go with another brand (maybe the twins BGLL1)?

If you prefer Boon go ahead with Boon. I've never had experience with their pro fight glove. However, I have borrowed the training gloves from a friend for a training session and they felt great.

For other brands, the people in my area who practice Muay Thai love these Fairtex pro fight gloves.

https://fairtex.com/collections/mua...-pro-competition-lace-up-muay-thai-gloves-red

Many of us here on the forum love Fairtex (including me) so you can't go wrong with them. Even Glory Kickboxing will start using Fairtex as there main fight glove.

Thanks for your recommendations.
Just in case someone is still interested, here is the answer I got from the boon online shop:
"The difference between the lace-up gloves and our competition gloves is the shape, and the foam used. The lace-ups have a slightly longer cuff for superior wrist support while hitting pads and bags during training sessions. The competition gloves on the other hand have a shorter cuff for more flexibility during bouts (especially for clinching etc.). In addition, it’s shape is more snug than the lace-ups which makes it more of a “puncher’s glove”. The foam used in the competition gloves is of different nature and a bit more firm (which is in line with what I said before that it is more of a “puncher’s glove”).

Both gloves are made of high-quality cowhide. It is more a matter of personal preference. If you are using the gloves also for fights, I would suggest you go with the competition glove – if you are using them only for training the lace-ups will do as well."

Fairtex, Boon and Twins are all good choices. Fairtex are by far my favorite Thai brand but really go with the brands that you think you'll prefer.

Fairtex - Quality control is excellent, Gloves are durable and padding is protective and most versions they put out a comfortable to me Fairtex are Muay Thai's Winning brand. Almost all if not all gloves are handmade in Thailand

Boon - A no frills brand, good quality control, good padding and good comfort, they won't last as long as Fairtex but while they last they'll be excellent. But they won't have as many colour's to choose from compared to Twins and Fairtex.

Twins - More good looking options than Boon, Quality control is not as good as Fairtex, their padding is usually quite soft compared to Fairtex or Boon. To me Twins gloves never seem to last as long as the other brands but they are the number one choice for most Muay Thai fighters in Australia. In Thailand Fairtex, Topking, Boon and Twins all fight to get top billing over the other. Twins gloves offer good protection at a competitive price but it almost seems it comes as a trade off for quality control and longevity

The one I have left out is TopKing they're a good brand but to me they seem more focused on looking "cool" or "trendy" over making a top level product.

Back