Question about kosen judo

lechien

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to ask a kosen judo master for questions and answers .

He is 8th Dan kodokan.

Looking for good questions.

Why do judokas always go to turtle. To me that means they want to be choked out.

I have the opportunity to ask a kosen judo master for questions and answers .

He is 8th Dan kodokan.

Looking for good questions.
Do you have an opportunity to TRAIN under him?
I totally would.

How did he get the title of Kosen master?

How did he get the title of Kosen master?

Especially since he also appears to be a Kodokan BB and those two tend not to get along in the same sandbox. I'd also be curious to know once and for all if "Kosen" is considered a true style by the Japanese, or just a competition ruleset that varies greatly from Kodokan Judo. I was always told it was just a ruleset and that it became popular as an alternative to doing traditional "Kodokan" style Judo with the two being mutually exclusive. I have come across very few Judoka who consider it an actual style.

Is there a future for Kosen Judo outside of Japan?

I think Judo would benefit from a restoration of pre 1925 Kodokan rules that are more open and permit a greater variety of newaza.

In the modern era Olympic Judo and IBJJF to me are both Judo. They are just evolving in different directions due to competition rulesets but they are actually pieces of the same grappling system and work better together. I'd like to see an older rule set restored that allows for both to cohabitate.

I don't have a question about this per se, but I think this would be an interesting discussion topic for someone familiar with Kosen and modern Kodokan Judo in the context of the evolution of sport grappling.

Especially since he also appears to be a Kodokan BB and those two tend not to get along in the same sandbox. I'd also be curious to know once and for all if "Kosen" is considered a true style by the Japanese, or just a competition ruleset that varies greatly from Kodokan Judo. I was always told it was just a ruleset and that it became popular as an alternative to doing traditional "Kodokan" style Judo with the two being mutually exclusive. I have come across very few Judoka who consider it an actual style.

It's a rule set that was utilized almost exclusively in intercollegiate competition between a group of (IIRC) seven technical colleges. It's not a totally separate style, but of course if you're going to compete in a given rule set you'll tailor your game to that rule set and members of the Kosen competition school teams definitely have a more sophisticated ground game than other Judoka. I don't consider it a totally independent style, just a variation on Kodokan Judo.

Does he know of any resources online for people outside of Japan to study Kosen Judo?

Whether its a style, a rule set, a competitive platform, etc How do the (quality, skill, style) takedowns of its practitioners differ from that of Olympic style judokas and wrestlers?

Whether its a style, a rule set, a competitive platform, etc How do the (quality, skill, style) takedowns of its practitioners differ from that of Olympic style judokas and wrestlers?

Frankly, they're not as good at them. Kosen looks a lot more like BJJ, you can effectively pull guard and the mat time is functionally unlimited. Their newaza is much deeper than the typical Judoka's though, as you might expect.

Frankly, they're not as good at them. Kosen looks a lot more like BJJ, you can effectively pull guard and the mat time is functionally unlimited. Their newaza is much deeper than the typical Judoka's though, as you might expect.
Do we have any MMAers with a background in it? Nakai? Aoki?

Do we have any MMAers with a background in it? Nakai? Aoki?

Not that I know of. It's really a pretty rare style relative to normal Judo. And given that it's only seriously practiced at a few universities, chances are the guys doing it are not looking to fighting as their long term careers.

Not that I know of. It's really a pretty rare style relative to normal Judo. And given that it's only seriously practiced at a few universities, chances are the guys doing it are not looking to fighting as their long term careers.
It sounds like itd be a pretty good gimmick to set yourself apart from other submission fighters.

Yes there are many who have competed in MMA with deep ties to Kosen. Yuki Nakai is about as Kosen as you can get. He was a basically a Kosen style player and shoot fighter when he fought in MMA in those early tournaments and against Rickson. He was already high level on the ground. Hidehoko Yoshida (and that stable) were trained in newaza extensively with Koji Komuro. Aoki was already very good on the ground before BJJ. No surprise considering his sempai was Komuro. Many grapplers have gone to the Tokyo newaza club to polish their groundgame.

Yes there are many who have competed in MMA with deep ties to Kosen. Yuki Nakai is about as Kosen as you can get. He was a basically a Kosen style player and shoot fighter when he fought in MMA in those early tournaments and against Rickson. He was already high level on the ground. Hidehoko Yoshida (and that stable) were trained in newaza extensively with Koji Komuro. Aoki was already very good on the ground before BJJ. No surprise considering his sempai was Komuro. Many grapplers have gone to the Tokyo newaza club to polish their groundgame.

Shows what I know. That's cool, I didn't realize the style spread that much outside of the imperial university system.

They do at the Shidokan.

Probably the most respected judo dojo in Canada.

They even give « kosen judo belts ».

Nakamura sensei’s trainer for the kosen class is from the H. Yoshida Dojo in japan.

Still have mixed feelings on this, but it did attract a few bjjers ( including black belts) who switched.

https://m.facebook.com/kosenjudo.ca/

They do at the Shidokan.

Probably the most respected judo dojo in Canada.

They even give « kosen judo belts ».

Nakamura sensei’s trainer for the kosen class is from the H. Yoshida Dojo in japan.

Still have mixed feelings on this, but it did attract a few bjjers ( including black belts) who switched.

https://m.facebook.com/kosenjudo.ca/

Seriously ? Interesting.
I trained there a couple of times and it is a great place.

Back