Question for Judoka

Magx951

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've wrestled for a long time and I am now going to start training in Judo.

I've done a bit of BJJ in no gi but I never trained it nearly as much as wrestling or boxing.

I'd love some tips on how to do well with my training etc. Is two times a week enough to realistically get to brown belt within a few years?

It's realistic. As for tips, I think it's important to remember that even though there's much crossover from wrestling, you should treat the techniques as completely new to you. Though your body will be quite used to the movements already and you'll nail them much quicker than other new folks.

I look forward to hearing about your progress!

It's realistic. As for tips, I think it's important to remember that even though there's much crossover from wrestling, you should treat the techniques as completely new to you. Though your body will be quite used to the movements already and you'll nail them much quicker than other new folks.

I look forward to hearing about your progress!

Thank you for the advice! If you have any more I'll gladly take as much as I can get!

For tachiwaza (standing), I agree, try to treat things as new. Some wrestlers are used to turning or hip throws, others less so, so your learning curve will vary. For newaza (ground work), you should adapt pretty quick. From what I've seen (though take it with a grain of salt since I suck at judo), your front headlock series will be money. You should have that pretty well developed from wrestling, and it will be a huge benefit if your opponent tries to turtle.

For tachiwaza (standing), I agree, try to treat things as new. Some wrestlers are used to turning or hip throws, others less so, so your learning curve will vary. For newaza (ground work), you should adapt pretty quick. From what I've seen (though take it with a grain of salt since I suck at judo), your front headlock series will be money. You should have that pretty well developed from wrestling, and it will be a huge benefit if your opponent tries to turtle.

Thank you for your advice!

I will absolutely be taking it from both of you in terms of treating things as if they are new. I'm quite used to hip throws (second takedown technique I learned after the double leg). Out of curiosity, ARE shooting takedowns trained in Judo? (If so I'd imagine they're quite different due to the Gi)

go there to learn judo, not to use your other grappling experience to win

this may seem obvious, but around 2012 i got stuck in that rut, and then the second time around i came in with an open mind and it came together a lot better

go there to learn judo, not to use your other grappling experience to win

this may seem obvious, but around 2012 i got stuck in that rut, and then the second time around i came in with an open mind and it came together a lot better

That's a lesson I learned from when I went to study bjj. Got frustrated especially because people had very little interest in stand up grappling and double legs got me in guillotines constantly

Thank you for your advice!

I will absolutely be taking it from both of you in terms of treating things as if they are new. I'm quite used to hip throws (second takedown technique I learned after the double leg). Out of curiosity, ARE shooting takedowns trained in Judo? (If so I'd imagine they're quite different due to the Gi)
Sadly, shooting take downs aren't really allowed in judo any more. During tachiwaza, we aren't allowed to touch the pant legs, so double legs (morote gari) are banned. The fireman's carry (kata guruma) can be done as a modified version where you don't grab the legs. Some clubs may allow you to do them in practice, but since they're banned in competition, most probably won't (at least on a regular basis).

Sadly, shooting take downs aren't really allowed in judo any more. During tachiwaza, we aren't allowed to touch the pant legs, so double legs (morote gari) are banned. The fireman's carry (kata guruma) can be done as a modified version where you don't grab the legs. Some clubs may allow you to do them in practice, but since they're banned in competition, most probably won't (at least on a regular basis).

How do you do a fireman's carry without touching the legs

Since you're new to judo TS, you must have missed us all bitching about leg grabs getting banned!

i'm of the mind that one should make a distinction between kodokan judo and IJF competition. unless you're fittin to be an olympian there's no reason not to learn and use leg grabs and pickups as part of your judo, especially if you're learning judo to compliment BJJ or MMA.

the whole idea behind judo being a complete martial art was that the judoka could hold their own against any other art - the boxer, the wrestler, the karateka, etc. you don't change the fuckin rules because you can't beat a certain style, you train harder and learn to beat it. uchimata can counter a double leg. o/kouchigari can shut down a suplex.

it bugs the shit out of me that an entire generation of judo players have been brought up not knowing how to run the pipe or sprawl on a double, especially when a pickup was the founder's favorite technique.

when they very first announced the rule changes, one of the pedants in club told me i couldn't use te guruma anymore. i asked our old sensei if that was how things were going to be now, and he looked me square in the eye and said "no, we still do Judo here."

i'm of the mind that one should make a distinction between kodokan judo and IJF competition. unless you're fittin to be an olympian there's no reason not to learn and use leg grabs and pickups as part of your judo, especially if you're learning judo to compliment BJJ or MMA.

the whole idea behind judo being a complete martial art was that the judoka could hold their own against any other art - the boxer, the wrestler, the karateka, etc. you don't change the fuckin rules because you can't beat a certain style, you train harder and learn to beat it. uchimata can counter a double leg. o/kouchigari can shut down a suplex.

it bugs the shit out of me that an entire generation of judo players have been brought up not knowing how to run the pipe or sprawl on a double, especially when a pickup was the founder's favorite technique.

when they very first announced the rule changes, one of the pedants in club told me i couldn't use te guruma anymore. i asked our old sensei if that was how things were going to be now, and he looked me square in the eye and said "no, we still do Judo here."
I think our club was like yours for a while and our coach even looked at other associations. Now they're medal chasing and leg grabs have taken a backseat.

Except for a couple of weeks ago when my coach dumped the shit out of me for trying something fancy.

Is two times a week enough to realistically get to brown belt within a few years?

I would say probably not actually.

As for everything else, I'd second what RJ and some others have said - if you're not planning on trying out for the Olympic team (and obviously you're not), then it's worth it to learn the whole gamete of techniques. The bit about learning Judo as Judo and not relying too much on your other grappling skills is also really good advice. You can work on combining everything later, but at the start, treat Judo like you've never learned any grappling at all.

It's realistic.

For realzies? :) I happen to know when the first brown belts became brown belts at our club...it sure as heck wasn't 2 years or less :) I don't think you really want your browns/blacks looking like this...

The old man has got some high standards...

4-6 years is more realistic at 3x a week, I'd say....unless you happen to be at JI. Then you're fucked and need to win a medal or something :)

PS: While you've been holidaying and washing your luxurious locks, I've been throwing the Frenchman with Te-Gurumas. (Well, until I broke my big toe last week). I've also been doing leg grabs and ankle picks galore in Bayso.

PPS: The Frenchman and I got pickled (along with the others) last weekend. Frenchie complained I had been grabbing him by the balls with my TeGurumas. The old man (who was standing near by) shook his head and said "I've got nothing to do with this...I just let em do what they want".

...wow that's...that got someone a shodan? that's ridiculous.

Back