Question for knowledgeable members re power please

some would point to anatomical things like perhaps a thick, strong neck, a heavy jawline, some would even say it's part psychological. I just think there is a natural aptitude to take a shot just like there is an aptitude for everything else in the sport.
I don't think psychology plays a role when a guys gets his lights turned out. A lot of times though the boxer mentally surrenders and lies down.

I don't think psychology plays a role when a guys gets his lights turned out. A lot of times though the boxer mentally surrenders and lies down.
i don't think so either but some people do, alex wallau called ali's ability "heart/chin" meaning he willed himself to take those punches, it's an interesting arguement. maybe someone can hypnotized themselves to stand up when unconscious or, as some people thought, ali trained himself to "transmit shock" (Norman Mailer-the fight) and no one has ever really understood how, was it sonny banks? Henry cooper put ali down and shavers and foreman couldn't. but no, i don't believe the ability to take a punch is psychological, i've seen too many gutsy fighters who just plain had no chin (Terry Norris, Wilfredo benitez.. etc.., etc..,).

It might make you less apt to break your hand throwing big power, but Bryant Jennings I think has bigger or about the same size hands as Sonny Liston. I don't think it's anything to base an assessment of how much power someone has but I would guess a correlation.

they always point to jake lamotta who had tiny, women sized hands and a low kayo percentage to, to prove they are related.

they always point to jake lamotta who had tiny, women sized hands and a low kayo percentage to, to prove they are related.

Wanna play that game? Julian Jackson has pretty small hands.

I don’t think so.

Nobody has ABNORMALLY large hands for their height. You’re not going to see people like Canelo with hands like Kawi Leonard.

So if you have slightly bigger hands but everything else is the same, no I don’t think it’ll make you throw the hand harder.

The things is bigger hard hitting people will probably have bigger hands as well.

Guys like audley Harrison and David Price don’t react to getting hit well at all. In many ways they were/are completely unsuited to the sport. I agree, psychogy makes no difference if your hit that hard and clean. Literally no one would’ve taken povetkins left hook on price, but that was all set up by the way he took the shot before

Wanna play that game? Julian Jackson has pretty small hands.
if your hands are really that small, you should maybe be more worried about your weenie than punching power, you know what they say about small hands/weenie size don't you? Or, maybe you like having a small weenie as well as liking your small hands, more power to ya.

if your hands are really that small, you should maybe be more worried about your weenie than punching power, you know what they say about small hands/weenie size don't you? Or, maybe you like having a small weenie as well as liking your small hands, more power to ya.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to dispel that myth.

i think it does but many people don't.
i was always that tall skinny kid with big hands. and i know how much it helps me. i have broken a number of faces punching with bare knuckles and i attribute it to hand size and density and years on a heavy bag. (i'm not trying to brag about breaking bones or street fights, it's something i really gotta stop getting involved in before i end up in the can. getting in fights over stupid shit is fun but always leads to a bad end)

i was always that tall skinny kid with big hands. and i know how much it helps me. i have broken a number of faces punching with bare knuckles and i attribute it to hand size and density and years on a heavy bag. (i'm not trying to brag about breaking bones or street fights, it's something i really gotta stop getting involved in before i end up in the can. getting in fights over stupid shit is fun but always leads to a bad end)
the getting into altercations is just so common because there are so many angry disgruntled fucks out there who think everything should always go their way. I worry about it too. As to the hands, I would think it would have some sort of effect, even bigger gloves change the texture of punches a little. Still, if it's true what our guy said, that Julian jackson had small hands, it wouldn't surprise me, punching power has always defied logic.

the getting into altercations is just so common because there are so many angry disgruntled fucks out there who think everything should always go their way. I worry about it too. As to the hands, I would think it would have some sort of effect, even bigger gloves change the texture of punches a little. Still, if it's true what our guy said, that Julian jackson had small hands, it wouldn't surprise me, punching power has always defied logic.
it's a strange and dark path, the world of violence. the better you get at it, the more you seem to get involved in it. i can really get the karate kid thing, i got in a fight a while ago and it reminded me what a difference there is in the world of trained fighters as opposed to average civilians. it really is just better to be humble and leave than to hang around till shit goes down.

it's a strange and dark path, the world of violence. the better you get at it, the more you seem to get involved in it. i can really get the karate kid thing, i got in a fight a while ago and it reminded me what a difference there is in the world of trained fighters as opposed to average civilians. it really is just better to be humble and leave than to hang around till shit goes down.
ya, it is, I did a paper on violence once, about a fighter I knew who murdered someone. I learned that there is something called "violence coaching" which involved a fight coach or football coach or what have you, who would encourage escalating violence and some people would just spiral out of control. The main way coaches would do this is very basic, encourage and reward more violence and belittle and emasculate by calling a :eek::eek::eek: or what have you, if they aren't violent enough. I know from exp.., when i was getting in a lot of fights as a security guard at my mentors store, there came a time when i went from not doing anything to shoplifters, to choking them, to beating them and I started to worry when I started having ideas about poking a guys eyes out, i would start begging people to just leave and even then some asshole is around saying "oh you were scared".

ya, it is, I did a paper on violence once, about a fighter I knew who murdered someone. I learned that there is something called "violence coaching" which involved a fight coach or football coach or what have you, who would encourage escalating violence and some people would just spiral out of control. The main way coaches would do this is very basic, encourage and reward more violence and belittle and emasculate by calling a :eek::eek::eek: or what have you, if they aren't violent enough. I know from exp.., when i was getting in a lot of fights as a security guard at my mentors store, there came a time when i went from not doing anything to shoplifters, to choking them, to beating them and I started to worry when I started having ideas about poking a guys eyes out, i would start begging people to just leave and even then some asshole is around saying "oh you were scared".
it's scary how quickly it can all escalate. and that's if your a decent person. it's not hard to see how someone with psychological problems could turn nasty really quickly.

it's scary how quickly it can all escalate. and that's if your a decent person. it's not hard to see how someone with psychological problems could turn nasty really quickly.
absolutely, I had to put the brakes on it because there were plenty of people pushing me to do more and thankfully, i had nothing to prove. the fighter I knew, turned out to be gay, was outted when he first choked his boyfriend and later retaliated for the boyfriend calling the cops on him by killing him. He's got a life sentence and meanwhile, the gym owner is still in business and doing quite nicely.

Mathematically speaking, if two people that weighed the same threw a punch at equal speed, and with equal technique, the fighter who has the smaller hand would deliver a punch with more force due to less area of impact.

This..

i can't really tell from that, how do you even measure a fist? i've never seen a way to do it properly. I had a magazine when i was 12, right around the time of leonard duran 1 that gave instructions but that was a long time ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back