Question For People That Went to School in the 90's

Rhood

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Grades (3-12) only!
If you were in one of these grades in the 90's i have a question for you..........

Did it seem like you were the only person to see the movie Kickboxer? LOL
It seemed like no one else in school saw it when it came out.
It didn't get the same hype treatment as Karate Kid because EVERYONE and their mother(s) saw Karate Kid!

I knew some other kids that had seen it but it was rated R and a lot of kids weren't allowed to watch rated R yet.

No but I went to school in Belgium

No, but I went to school at Jean Claude Van Damme Academy.

My grade twelve was 92. Many of the dudes in my age group were heavily into kung fu and karate movies and tv shows starting in middle school (lots of confiscated throwing stars and such at school).
By the time Van Damme (and Seagal) had their run of films including Kickboxer we for sure watched and joked about them.
tenor.gif

My grade twelve was 92. Many of the dudes in my age group were heavily into kung fu and karate movies and tv shows starting in middle school (lots of confiscated throwing stars and such at school).
By the time Van Damme (and Seagal) had their run of films including Kickboxer we for sure watched and joked about them.
tenor.gif
I graduated in 92.....confiscation of throwing stars was a weekly occurrence.

IIRC, I didn't see it in theaters and it wasn't talked about with kids my age when it came out. It was an adult, or at least older teenage movie. I think I saw it years later on premium cable, some time in the 90s. The movie technically came out in the 80s and not the 90s, although it was right as the 80s were coming to an end. It certainly has the look and feel of an 80s and not 90s movie.

Not really. Best Of the Best was all anyone ever talked about.

Grades (3-12) only!
If you were in one of these grades in the 90's i have a question for you..........

It didn't get the same hype treatment as Karate Kid because EVERYONE and their mother(s) saw Karate Kid!
Nope. Allot of kids watched it. Of course I Lived in Texas during this time and I made all my grandkids watch it with me.

I graduated in 99 and i watched the shit out of any movies with JCVD, Stallone, Arnold, Willis, etc.

Everyone around here saw all the main JCVD movies.

People had seen Kickboxer but they would always pass up talking about it in favor of Blood Sport or Universal Soldier.

Basically, they had exquisite taste and I can't find fault with that

Grades (3-12) only!

seeing how movies like that and Bloodsport along with the Best of the Best movies was a dime a dozen back then I assumed everyone saw them.

I legit never heard of Kickboxer until I was an adult (And I still haven't seen it). And back in school we all loved the shit outta Van Damme, especially Bloodsport. His films would be an instant rental. I grew up in Germany though so maybe Kickboxer was banned for Nazi symbolism or some shit.

I graduated in 92.....confiscation of throwing stars was a weekly occurrence.
Lol, so true.
We had one kid get suspended for bringing nunchuks to school, and some other kid brought a pair of sais to school and said he was gonna stab the vice principal. Needless to say he was expelled.

File in the "mass produced weapons that were practically never used in real life" museum.

tumblr_inline_ndhih0kYwT1st2d6s.jpg

Back