Question For People That Went to School in the 90's

Yea, I saw it. Some Armenian kid was trying to tell me that Kickboxer was better than Bloodsport. LMAO GTFO...

Not really. Best Of the Best was all anyone ever talked about.

A friend of mine did a great impression of Eric Roberts with his dislocated shoulder hopping around like an injured chicken.

Everyone loved Bloodsport but I don't remember much talk on the playground about Kickboxer.

Graduated in 92 and I saw it in the theater. Don't remember if my friends saw it or not.

I actually laughed at what TS said because that’s exactly how I felt
Like I was somehow more cultured than everyone else because I somehow knew about movies like kickboxer
Don’t judge me

I was born in 90. But I am pretty sure I watched it when I was 8 or 9, my best bud had seen it too and we spent most our recesses trying to do the jumping spinning kick the JCVD like 30x against Tong Po.
we got in trouble because we got in a fight with a bunch of kids ho thought football players could beat up Chan,JCVD, and Li

Nah, mang. Pretty much every friend I had growing up was a fan of Kickboxer, Bloodsport, Cyborg, etc.

No way, man. A lot of people saw Kickboxer. In fact, I was just talking with one of my coworkers who is almost exactly my age about that movie. We didn’t go to school together but we went to school at the same time.

Lol, so true.
We had one kid get suspended for bringing nunchuks to school, and some other kid brought a pair of sais to school and said he was gonna stab the vice principal. Needless to say he was expelled.

File in the "mass produced weapons that were practically never used in real life" museum.

tumblr_inline_ndhih0kYwT1st2d6s.jpg
Yep.
And most kids bought these super shitty throwing stars. I remember a couple of times standing about 6 feet from a piece of plywood and flinging those shitty stars only to have them bounce off and fly towards us.

Yep.
And most kids bought these super shitty throwing stars. I remember a couple of times standing about 6 feet from a piece of plywood and flinging those shitty stars only to have them bounce off and fly towards us.
The throwing star.... bastard cousin of brass knuckles, available in pawnshops and flea markets everywhere.
1Ijk.gif

Class of '97. Kickboxer was kind of an underground hit; The tough guys and martial arts types all knew about it and Van Damme was legendary. I remember seeing it; I think by VCR Rental and possibly later on HBO.

I don't remember seeing that particular movie at the time, but I was a poor kid so we only saw the big movies in theaters. I watched the vast majority of movies on basic cable. I was a big Van damme fan, I remember checking the video stores for his movies as soon as they hit VHS.

Lol I'll never forget when Lionheart came out, I went to the video store and somehow got another version of Lionheart. Some medieval times movie. I watched like 45 mins like where the fuck is van damme before I figured out my mistake. I don't even think his version of Lionheart was out on VHS yet.

I actually laughed at what TS said because that’s exactly how I felt
Like I was somehow more cultured than everyone else because I somehow knew about movies like kickboxer
Don’t judge me
Hey I felt the same way when I was the only kid in my neighborhood with a copy of street fighter two.

I graduated high school in 1997. Oddly enough now that I think about it, I was the only one in my circle of friends who watched martial arts movies.

Yeah it was pretty well known & Tong Po was really popular. I remember back when they had R rated movies on regular TV with nudity. I think I watched 48 Hours back when I was like 8 years old.

Nobody cared about Kickboxer cause Tong Po already got brutally beaten in Bloodsport.

12bloodsport.jpg

I had cyborg,kickboxer bloodsport on vhs. ktla 5 also used to air kickboxer and bloodsport like every two weeks. it was a good time to be alive in the 90's.
But_Pepperidge_Farm_aint_just_gonna_keep_it_to_Pepperidge__5c6a319f9b808bca3f929f02bc45f1b8.png

Nobody cared about Kickboxer cause Tong Po already got brutally beaten in Bloodsport.

12bloodsport.jpg
I don't think many people even knew it was the same actor until maybe 20 years later as a kid it made it even hard to tell.

I never asked, but i assume some of my friends watched it with me just cant remember now. I didnt go to hockey practice and start asking people if they liked Kickboxer. :)

I don't think I ever saw it until it was a re-run on cable in probably early 2000s.

Back