Question for Sherbros who understand credit

Dinotective

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So here's the deal. When I was a young man I got totally annihilated by identity theft. My credit and my history with the IRS were absolutely wrecked. Once I got that mess cleared up, I slowly started rebuilding with a credit card here and there and have managed to grind my score up into the mid 700s.

I'm currently in the market to get my first brand new car from a dealership. Truth is, it's totally within my ability to just buy a new car cash and be done with it then and there. However, I believe it would be in my best interest to finance just so that I can build on my credit history for the eventual date where I might want to someday buy my own home.

So here's my question; if I were to go with the finance option, how long would I have to go with the standard month-to-month payments in order to get some benefit out of it? Can I pay it off in a few months and have my credit history benefit? Should I drag it out for a year?

Like I said, I could pay it all off in a single check if I wanted to. But if I could drag it out for a bit to help my credit history, I would much rather do that.

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
~just a manchild trying to survive in this adult world

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know how long you would have to do it for your score to improve. But if your score is in the mid 700s, you're already good to go on buying a house.

Sounds like you're already good TS. Fuck paying interest if you don't have to.

Honestly, I don't know how long you would have to do it for your score to improve. But if your score is in the mid 700s, you're already good to go on buying a house.
See, what's the part that's confusing to me. My score is in a decent place, but I feel like if I tried to buy a house, they might look at my history and be like "wtf? you haven't even financed a CAR and you wanna get a house?!"

my street cred game is pretty tight.

anyone want to fite me IRL?

$

just bought a car with 2.5 apr through a credit union. Go with the low APR and invest the cash where you can get a higher return. That way you come out ahead. If your credit is over 700 and you have a high income then you don't have to worry about being ready to buy a home. My credit is 830 but I don't have a high enough reported income to purchase now.

p.s. current mortgage rules hover around maximum mortgage being 30% of your income

Sounds like you're already good TS. Fuck paying interest if you don't have to.
Absolutely! Interest looks like a real bitch and I would of course rather NOT pay it. But I'm wondering if not at least having "bought this car and made all his payments on time" would be a factor, even if the credit score was in a decent place.

See, what's the part that's confusing to me. My score is in a decent place, but I feel like if I tried to buy a house, they might look at my history and be like "wtf? you haven't even financed a CAR and you wanna get a house?!"

Why would they do that? Not financing a car is a good thing. Why pay interest on something that depreciates...

Why would they do that? Not financing a car is a good thing. Why pay interest on something that depreciates...
No idea "why". This is all relatively new to me, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.

No, they will be fine with your score in the mid 700s. If you don't have any lines of credit though, they might no like that. But you'll still be fine.

Absolutely! Interest looks like a real bitch and I would of course rather NOT pay it. But I'm wondering if not at least having "bought this car and made all his payments on time" would be a factor, even if the credit score was in a decent place.

Can you see if you pre-qualify for a home loan and decide from there?

Can you see if you pre-qualify for a home loan and decide from there?
Yeah, I'm sure I could do that. I'm just trying to get ahead of it and understand how this whole thing works. As in: is it enough to have a good score; or is a good score only good enough if they can see you made X purchases and payments?

No idea "why". This is all relatively new to me, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.

Honestly I probably know less. I don't even know my credit score. Never had a credit card.

Not sure what this means. Does it mean a down payment of 30% Or monthly payment being 30% of your monthly gross?
they will only give you a mortgage that is equal to or less than 30% of your monthly take home (I think).

if you make 10k a month after taxes you qualify for a 3k a month mortgage.

Yeah, I'm sure I could do that. I'm just trying to get ahead of it and understand how this whole thing works. As in: is it enough to have a good score; or is a good score only good enough if they can see you made X purchases and payments?

Would like to think we had at least one banker here to help you out.

they will only give you a mortgage that is equal to or less than 30% of your monthly take home (I think).

if you make 10k a month after taxes you qualify for a 3k a month mortgage.
Gotcha. Sounds like I need to find a few more trans girls to rent out.

Back