Question for the "GSP has earned the right to pick his fights" Argument.

He earned the right cos he's a fuckin human being and not a slave to the UFC or the fans. He can do whatever he damn well pleases and you can either like it or bitch about it.

Fedor went on like a 5 year sabbatical of fighting the Maldonados and Singh Jaideeps of the world and Anderson fought Nick Diaz. They got to pick easy money making fights too.
Are you trying to say Hung Man Choi wasn’t a legit contender st the top of the sport?

Lol

He gets to pick fights in the UFC because he built his career there. Anderson and Fedor didnt (Anderson eventually did and gets to pick fights now).

If it was another organization, do you think he'd get the same privilege?

Why does GSP have the right to cherry pick easy fights when other GOATs couldn't ?

Other GOAT’s couldn’t?

Fedor fought Jaideep
Anderson fought Nick Diaz
Jones fought Sonnen

No Champion or great should be allowed to cherry pick fights. Period. The best should always fight the best.

Imagine if Matt Hughes decided not to fight GSP. Imagine if Anderson decided not to fight Weidman. Imagine a future when champions or greats decides not to fight a strong contender and choose instead to pad their records with fight we all know they would win.

No Champion or great should be allowed to cherry pick fights. Period. The best should always fight the best.

Imagine if Matt Hughes decided not to fight GSP. Imagine if Anderson decided not to fight Weidman.Imagine a future when champions or greats decides not to fight a strong contender and choose instead to pad their records with fight we all know they would win.

Well he didn’t want to fight him but had no choice

Fedor fought Valavicius, Zulu, Lindland, Ogawa, Nagata, Fujita, TK, Choi...

Anderson fought Diaz as you say. Jones fought Chael and Vitor. And so it goes.

Well technically Anderson also fought James Irvin and Stephan Bonnar. 2 guys who werent even in the top 10.

Would be like TJ Dillashaw going up to fight Artem.

Well he didn’t want to fight him but had no choice

Exactly. Even if he didn't want to, he had to. That is how it is supposed to be for the best fighters. The best fight the best.

Valavicius was in 2003 in the fucking Rings!
Same as Fujita, Ogawa,.
Fedor was just starting his career and these were strong and popular japanese fighters back then.

I though silver belt from 2002 should know that, wtf?

HMC and Zulu were money freakshows, loved in Japan - $$$
but dangerous, cause they outweighted Fedor by 100+ pounds!

Before 2007 and UFC Anderson also fought a bunch of medicre fighters
and got subed by Chonan and Takase.

Exactly. Even if he didn't want to, he had to. That is how it is supposed to be for the best fighters. The best fight the best.

Yeah there's a difference though to what you originally said. If Anderson had his way he never would have fought Chris

Imagine if Matt Hughes decided not to fight GSP. Imagine if Anderson decided not to fight Weidman. Imagine a future when champions or greats decides not to fight a strong contender and choose instead to pad their records with fight we all know they would win.
You have champions defending thier belts, which gsp did for a long long time.

George isn’t the WW champ anymore he can’t duck Woodley because he’s not the champ.

Only champs can duck. If a non champ chosses not to fight someone it’s thier choice.

For fucks sake

You have champions defending thier belts, which gsp did for a long long time.

George isn’t the WW champ anymore he can’t duck Woodley because he’s not the champ.

Only champs can duck. If a non champ chosses not to fight someone it’s thier choice.

For fucks sake

Who said anything about ducking? My problem is fighters choosing fights, period.

Also remember, GSP may not be champion now, but the fights he is choosing are for the title. Who chose Michael Bisping, then Vacated. He chose Conor, Conor lost. Now he is choosing Khabib. These are title fights.

Khabib is not an easy fight. Hes 27-0 and in his prime. You guys are so ridiculous its insane.

What a stupid thread.

There is no other GOAT candidate that gets shit on more than him on this forum in recent months and years.

Tons of posters bitch all day about him picking certain fights. Exhibit A: This thread.

Yeah there's a difference though to what you originally said. If Anderson had his way he never would have fought Chris

There isn't a difference. A fighter should be able to decide. They can feel anyway they want about their opponent but they shouldn't be able to decide who they fight.

Khabib is not an easy fight. Hes 27-0 and in his prime. You guys are so ridiculous its insane.

Khabib is good but Khabib is a LW champ. GSP is the WW GOAT who just beat the MW champion. GSP would beat every LW today pretty easily. As the WW GOAT should. GSP vs Khabib would be the Koscheck fight all over again. I mean, Conor was able to stuff one of Khabib's takedowns, GSP would stuff all of them and jab away.

Khabib is good but Khabib is a LW champ. GSP is the WW GOAT who just beat the MW champion. GSP would beat every LW today pretty easily. As the WW GOAT should. GSP vs Khabib would be the Koscheck fight all over again. I mean, Conor was able to stuff one of Khabib's takedowns, GSP would stuff all of them and jab away.

Yeah but Khabib is bigger than GSP, so it doesnt matter if he was WW Goat and Khabih is a LW. GSP is not a big guy. I dont think GSP beating Khabib is some foregone conclusion like youre implying either. Its a huge challenge.

Why does GSP have the right to cherry pick easy fights when other GOATs couldn't ? What makes him so special over everyone else?

Fedor went close to 10 years undefeated at HW and was clearly out of his Prime (Fat and Bald) but was still called a coward for not fighting in the UFC even though he was still fighting Legit Comp in SF. No way fans thought he could pick and choose easy fights.

Anderson was the Undisputed UFC GOAT back in 07-09 and wanted the GSP fight, the same fans that were crying about Anderson "Bullying" GSP and Picking on smaller fighters are now the same fans rooting on GSP for his easy fights.

MM had 11 title defenses and touted as GOAT by the UFC and WAS STILL called out by MMA fans for ducking TJ.

I have been around MMA forums for awhile now and I have NEVER heard MMA fans claim a fighter has earned the right to pick and choose easy fights.... Except for GSP. I don't get it... If Fedor/Anderson/MM/Jones/Conor/Anyone else can't..... GSP Can't.

Thanks for reading, my gift to you.

you must be new... here ill help you. GSP=The GOAT. anything else?

Why does GSP have the right to cherry pick easy fights when other GOATs couldn't ? What makes him so special over everyone else?

Fedor went close to 10 years undefeated at HW and was clearly out of his Prime (Fat and Bald) but was still called a coward for not fighting in the UFC even though he was still fighting Legit Comp in SF. No way fans thought he could pick and choose easy fights.

Anderson was the Undisputed UFC GOAT back in 07-09 and wanted the GSP fight, the same fans that were crying about Anderson "Bullying" GSP and Picking on smaller fighters are now the same fans rooting on GSP for his easy fights.

MM had 11 title defenses and touted as GOAT by the UFC and WAS STILL called out by MMA fans for ducking TJ.

I have been around MMA forums for awhile now and I have NEVER heard MMA fans claim a fighter has earned the right to pick and choose easy fights.... Except for GSP. I don't get it... If Fedor/Anderson/MM/Jones/Conor/Anyone else can't..... GSP Can't.

Thanks for reading, my gift to you.

My response would include these points.

He's a 2 division champ looking to become a 3rd division champ. This is a huge reason.

He holds wins over 7 former UFC champions and 45% of his UFC fights have been VS current or former champions. If his next two fights are vs Conor and Khabib he can state over 50% of his UFC fights were against current or former UFC champions. That is an incredible stat!

and most importantly money. UFC is a business first and foremost and GSP competing will make him and the business more money than probably any other fighter not named Conor McGregor.

Back