Question for the "GSP has earned the right to pick his fights" Argument.

Dana won’t let GSP cherry pick another fraud of a title fight again. Good riddance.

GSP earned the right because he gained the leverage. Every fighter makes choices in who they fight, the difference is that gsp by virtue of his earnings and accomplishments has way more leverage and way less to prove than the next fighter.

He has plenty of money and is the GOAT of his weight class. There's no reason for him to fight other than anytime he wants

Lol TS mentioned MM and GOAT in the same sentence...

He’s barely active as it is, but still remains a draw.
He’s written his own ticket due to body of work, greatness, and loyalty.
And, if you’re paying attention, the ufc is hurting for stars, or PPV stars.

He’s earned the right to do what he’s doing

I’m going to explain this but I feel like you’re being willfully ignorant TS. A trait most GSP haters seem to have in common.

Anderson called out GSP at HIS weight class, not GSPs. If Anderon was willing and able to make 170, then that fight should have happened. Otherwise it is up to GSP if he wants to fight at 185 or not. MM did get a lot of flak for not taking the TJ fight, and that was at his own weight class. I personally side with MM on this for my own reasons, but surely you can see the difference. Fedor got flak because perception was he ducked an org, not a fight. It was also stupid because everyone knows strikeforce had a better HW division at the time anyways. No one derides him for not fighting in the UFC now

If i was in his shoes I would be doing the same thing. It's a business and GSP worked hard to earn his leverage to pick and choose fights. That is cool with me. What I don't get are fans who support this. You aren't GSP. This isn't helping the sport at all.

The thing is if it's all business and you earned the right to use leverage then do you also support Conor Mcgregor? Did you support him when he didn't want to defend. When he fought Mayweather? Of course not and you shouldn't support GSP either.

As a fan of the sport I can tell you it isn't a good thing to give this guy a 2nd instant title shot back to back.

Legit Comp
The most disturbing thing in this thread is that the OP wrote legit competition in capital letters and shortened one of the words.

Im left here asking myself why

Didn't read OP, but the answer is UFC is a business. All top earners pick their own shots.

The issue I have with "cherry-picking fights" is whether or not it slows down the growth and movement of a division, especially in terms of titles.

If they are basically one-off events, who cares?

Any of the BIG legends of the game (GSP, Fedor, Anderson, Jones, etc...) have fought more than their share of ultra-tough guys anyway.

in 07 nobody new about Anderson's Roiding and plenty of fans were shitting on him for trying to fight GSP. Even then, he wasn't allowed to pick and choose his fights. He wanted to fight Bisping over Weidman and the fans were pissed.
In 07, Anderson was on the top of his game and clobbering people, not 5 years retired and well past his perceived prime.

GSP isn't even a full time competitor anymore. He can pick and choose the fights he wants as he pleases. If he was a champion who was stalling a division by avoiding all the major contenders there and only choosing to fight the guys that he matched up with the best, you'd have a point, but he isn't doing that. Even when he avoided defending the Middleweight Title, he vacated it immediately so that the division could rightfully move on without him. He didn't milk being the champion by sitting at home for months with the belt before vacating it or getting stripped. Someone like Conor would have.

Khabib is good but Khabib is a LW champ. GSP is the WW GOAT who just beat the MW champion. GSP would beat every LW today pretty easily. As the WW GOAT should. GSP vs Khabib would be the Koscheck fight all over again. I mean, Conor was able to stuff one of Khabib's takedowns, GSP would stuff all of them and jab away.
You make it sound as if WWs are somehow inherently more skilled than LWs, but the only quantitative difference is weight. Khabib is a large lw who struggles to make weight. If GSP comes down to 155, it's not unreasonable to think that at best, they're similar size, and possibly khabib would be larger. So GSP is wanting to come to a weight class he's never fought in before, to fight a man many people consider the GOAT at that weight, who is undefeated and very much in his prime. That's the opposite of cherry picking.

Fedor went on like a 5 year sabbatical of fighting the Maldonados and Singh Jaideeps of the world and Anderson fought Nick Diaz. They got to pick easy money making fights too.

Nick beat that steroid riddled Anderson, Easy fight my ass.

Fedor was also fighting people like Zuluzino during that ten year run. Comparing that to GSP cherry picking champions is a bit off.

I can tell Sherdog is full of old fucks because of their infatuation with tits over ass.

Smh Sherdog

Back