Question for the musicians in Sherdog: Would you go to your ex-band concert?

houjebek

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Question for the musicians in Sherdog: Would you go to your ex-band concert?
A bit an emo-question, btw anyway:

I used to be in a band as a guitarplayer. I didn't got along with the drummer and singer and quit the band after a night of arguments and insults back and forth. That was in 2014. I founded the band with the other guitarplayer, we rehearsed for 1,5 year. I did a lot of work for it in the early stage, but made the mistake to go after more experienced musicians and then I got stuck in a band where everybody was way more advanced than me. So I was the weak link...

I am still on speaking terms/friends with the bassplayer and the other guitarplayer/keyboard guy... Now the bassplayer asked me several times to watch them see live and now they are doing a gig and he invited me to see them. (They are just a crappy blues/rock coverband.)
I am a bit curious to find out how they are doing now and I still feel sympathy for the bassplayer and other guitarplayer, but hate the drummer & singer. Also I think it would be bad to go there because its old wounds opening up again, like going to your ex-gf wedding you know?
So what do sherdog musicians do here? Ignore your previous bands and let them rot?

Hmm. Well, if it was an original band that I put a lot of energy into, and it ended on the bad terms (we've all been there), then probably not.

However, I've seen past pro cover groups I've used to work with, after playing with them. Everyone is/was cool, on good terms, acts pro, etc.

Bands (especially original acts) are like a relationship, minus the sex :/ So I get why ex band members just avoid the potential drama.

My advice, don't bother. Leave that shit behind. Maybe jam with the bass player and other guitarist?

I've been in several.

Two of them were punk/hardcore and speed metal. I'd like to say hello to some of the guys, but I doubt they're making music that would interest me.

One was prog rock with serious musicians attending music institutes. We all lived in a house together and learned a metric fuck-ton of technical stuff, both music theory and playing wise. Polyrhythyms, odd time signatures that required keeping mental beat counts. Where's the one in this??
We lived it and loved it. But there was no real audience for it. Wherever we played, our material was too complex for anyone but the serious musicians that might be there.
Some of them are professors now, some are making far less complicated music for commercial clients.
We could put the group back together pretty easily but we all live in different corners of the country.

My current band is all close friends, we play all sorts of stuff but none of it much beyond 4/4. Fun music. We played "Country Roads" the other night at a bar and the girlies loved it

copy this exact expression when telling him

8zo9dl.jpg

Bands (especially original acts) are like a relationship, minus the sex :/ So I get why ex band members just avoid the potential drama.

My advice, don't bother. Leave that shit behind. Maybe jam with the bass player and other guitarist?
Thanks, that's some good advice. Maybe I go there once, to see what they are doing, to satisy my
curiosity... But I am afraid it would just be akward and wierd.

I've done it. If you were the weak link and realize it plus are still friends with some members, just go watch a set then chill with the ones you like, ignore the others but make it knows to your friends that you're not interested in hanging out or confronting the members you hate... if they respect you they will honor your wishes and all will be fine...

I've been in several.

Two of them were punk/hardcore and speed metal. I'd like to say hello to some of the guys, but I doubt they're making music that would interest me.

One was prog rock with serious musicians attending music institutes. We all lived in a house together and learned a metric fuck-ton of technical stuff, both music theory and playing wise. Polyrhythyms, odd time signatures that required keeping mental beat counts. Where's the one in this??
We lived it and loved it. But there was no real audience for it. Wherever we played, our material was too complex for anyone but the serious musicians that might be there.
Some of them are professors now, some are making far less complicated music for commercial clients.
We could put the group back together pretty easily but we all live in different corners of the country.

My current band is all close friends, we play all sorts of stuff but none of it much beyond 4/4. Fun music. We played "Country Roads" the other night at a bar and the girlies loved it
you should post some of your prog rock stuff

I did once, but it was a different situation. The other guitarist and I left the band around the time some money was going missing. The singer was supposed to be the bookkeeper. I believe he was paying his rent with it.

Anyway, they went through a heap of new members after us, while the singer did the wrong thing by other bands, promoters, etc. Unfortunately, our reputations were still somewhat attached. I had people contacting me, long after I left, wanting to know if they were getting paid for the last gig I did with the band, or for a heap of t-shirts that had been printed.

Anyway, we ended up going to their farewell show a couple of years later, for some closure. It was interesting, but an important thing to do.

Some interesting reactions, thanks for that.

I did but I started playing bass as a teenager as a bit of a goof and because my two other buddies played guitar and the other one played drums. So they needed a bass player. I didn't have any feel for the instrument and I didn't really give a shit.

Then they all got really good and I told them they were too good for a shitty bass player so they should find someone else.

They did and I stayed on as sort of a manager/roadie because it was still fun to hang out.

I could see how it would have been hard if I deluded myself into thinking I was good.

I do it frequently. Been in and left plenty of bands for plenty of reasons, but always find myself still enjoying the music and am still on good terms. Still working on various other projects with people I've played in 'main' bands with. Plenty of those bands I was a fan before I was a member, so I get to go back to being a fan which is always good.

Hell no, I got fired simply because I told the other three members that I felt the band was writing too simple of music. I played guitar in said band and we started out writing typical nu-metal shit, I wanted to break free from that and write actual meaningful and intricate metal but they didn't want to then again I had a feeling the stuff I was presenting them was too advanced or they just didn't want to take the time to learn it. Came to practice one day and was told they were all getting tired of my constant badgering about what we were playing and had enough of it and said its over.

If it's just going to reopen wounds, then don't go. You have this figured out already.

Back