Question for the Public

MysticSnack

Mystical
@White
Reaction score
Have you guys ever experienced when people come up to you and say they’re gonna start coming to train at your Gym but never shows. No joke but at least 10 people have said this to me.

That's happened a couple times but what really bothers me is when people tell me, "I'd love to try it out, I just need to get in shape first!"

<LikeReally5>

You get in shape by going to the gym fatass.

As long as Gym's not the name of your daughter, I think you're doing okay.

You don't have a gym, it's all in your head.

shyamalan.jpg

Have you guys ever experienced when people come up to you and say they’re gonna start coming to train at your Gym but never shows. No joke but at least 10 people have said this to me.
Whaaaaaaaaat? Does that actually happen? I mean, in the 12 years I've been doing bjj i have never even heard of this

/sarcasm.

i got no time for gyms bro ill just knock you the fuck in the street

That's happened a couple times but what really bothers me is when people tell me, "I'd love to try it out, I just need to get in shape first!"

<LikeReally5>

You get in shape by going to the gym fatass.
Man, seen this way too much. Whats even sadder is that Its not even a new concept, been going on for awhile now.

Man, seen this way too much. Whats even sadder is that Its not even a new concept, been going on for awhile now.

It pisses me off because for one, I know what it's like to come back to the gym out of shape after an injury or something.

But way more than that because I have seen people seriously out of shape, like borderline obese out of shape, come in for their first class and stick to it and have it not only help them drop all the weight but completely change their lifestyle.

It pisses me off because for one, I know what it's like to come back to the gym out of shape after an injury or something.

But way more than that because I have seen people seriously out of shape, like borderline obese out of shape, come in for their first class and stick to it and have it not only help them drop all the weight but completely change their lifestyle.
Part of me thinks is they're thinking about being embarrassed as the guy/girl who can't keep up with the warmup exercises. I was in shape on my first day from doing other sports and lifting, and we had to do sprints across the mats. I slipped and face planted. No biggie, everyone got a chuckle, and we continued. Only lasted for 2 seconds. The warmup was tough since I wasn't used to it, and at all trial classes they wanna give a good workout to interest the new folks, but still, it was fine.

What they're really saying (asking for) is that they're hoping you are going to encourage them a little AND offer to help (show them the ropes, take them under your wing a little). That's what they're actually saying/hoping. If you do that, they WILL come by and sign up.

You gotta reassure them at least once.

There you go.

Last edited:
But, I was there. You said to meet at 10:00. I showed up at 9:55 ready to train.

I waited until 10:15 and then went home.

You can't take them at face value, that discourages them. You have to show slight disbelief/reservation and then offer to teach them some of your secret deadly stuff if they do.

They will sign up

were they Latin American or some other equatorial ethnicity? I'm not trying to make an ethnic dig here, I'm being serious. Many Latin Americans readily admit that that is just a part of how they communicate in certain situations when they are parting company or bidding farewell. By contrast, (according to certain ethnic studies) you would tend not to find people native to more northernish climes to make faux promises like that. This is not a mark of denigration at all, it is just a cultural thing.

when they speak this way to each other they understand full well that there is a good chance of a no show. It is just how they communicate sometimes.

What? Friends ask you where you trained at? Nice to know you have friends man

Back