Questions on Cleto Reyes

" I don't have a bad word to say against Cleto Reyes gloves. Supreme leather quality and performance with a good fit (I too have long fingers). The hybrids just snag it for me due to the thumb placing feeling more natural in my opinion.

CDBM, Oct 24, 2015 "
Haha, investigative journalism. I read that.

It's hard to know, though, because maybe he has long fingers relative to his palm? Idk. My fingers touch the end of the glove and push the leather part out. Idk if that is normal.

@CDBM: does the finger part stretch out over time? Because my finger nails hurt due to the pressure of the leather after I use them.

Bro, I chew the shit out of my nails...

Ok, here goes..

From the tip of my middle finger down to the knuckle is 12cm. From the top of my wrist to the tip of my middle finger is 22cm. I also have relatively slim hands for my size (boil down to 168 at a push at 6'3). Now, I'm a Reyes man through and through and even have a couple of custom pairs made for me, but only the fight gloves in 10oz and 16oz training gloves fit me. 14 and lower are too small in the finger department and 18 are too wide. Reyes leather is probably the best out there so it keeps it shape and whilst it can, and has, stretched for me; it's not by alot.

Either trim your nails or, if it is that painful, trade or sell them off.

Ps. It is true about the thumb on the hybrids being humongously better positioned than the normal training gloves.

That's really helpful. Looks like we have similar hand sizes.

I'm new to Reyes, but how painful and how lengthy should the break-in period be? Because so far it has been a b.

What size are you wearing?

Reyes do take a significant amount of time to break in as they outlive most other gloves I've used by a long way.

Try stuffing a load of socks (clean) in them and leaving then overnight, or sit massaging and bending the gloves for an hour or so whilst you watch TV.

16oz. I bought them for a discount, and they are somewhat defective (lining inside the glove is bunched and sewn in the index finger area)... $125 shipped. I can still return them. I'm not sure whether I should or not. The defect is not so terrible, but can be annoying.

I massaged them for a while yesterday, I will try the thing with the socks (clean).

Really really helpful.

Hi Hangulmalmotayo, I know you're still breaking in the cleto reyes, but how does it compare to your sabas far as feedback on the heavy bag.

Oh yeah, the prime series from Sabas looks nice.

Hi Hangulmalmotayo, I know you're still breaking in the cleto reyes, but how does it compare to your sabas far as feedback on the heavy bag.

Oh yeah, the prime series from Sabas looks nice.
It's still too early to tell, I feel. Part of the reason the Sabas get such good response, I think, is because they have completely molded to my knuckles. The Reyes haven't yet and so I don't quite feel as much of a connect, if that makes sense.

I am returning the defective pair of Reyes and just spending the money to buy a brand new pair in hopes that they will break-in well and last me a while.

As much as I love the look of the Primes, my experience with the durability of the padding (first with the TCs, now with the SuperSofts) is causing me to be somewhat reluctant in spending so much money on their gloves. I probably won't be getting any Sabas gloves in the near future...

I hope that the Cleto Reyes will serve you well and If you have the chance in the future, you definitely have to write a review. I always enjoy reading people's experience with different type of gloves.

I didn't realize you also had issue with the Sabas SuperSoft gloves. The Cleto Reyes will definitely last for a long time.

I hope that the Cleto Reyes will serve you well and If you have the chance in the future, you definitely have to write a review. I always enjoy reading people's experience with different type of gloves.

I didn't realize you also had issue with the Sabas SuperSoft gloves. The Cleto Reyes will definitely last for a long time.
Thanks, Noodles03.

Yeah, I started using the SuperSofts maybe a month and a half to two months ago (after my TCs bottomed out) and the padding is definitely losing steam. I broke them in and they felt great for about a week or two and now I am counting the days I have left with these gloves... I imagine I have maybe another month or so. I just can't justify spending so much money for gloves that don't last very long (though they are fantastic when they are at their peak).

Has anyone tried Casanova? I used to have a 16oz pair and found that there is a little more room at the fingertips than 16oz Reyes.

http://www.casanovaboxingusa.com

Another thing to note is the extra space/gap at the knuckles. They are the only gloves I have experienced that have this feature. I hear it is intended to accommodate for thise who use thick wraps on the knuckles (such as most pros).

I liked everything about them in except one thing; overweight.

They weighed 18.5 and 19.2 ounces. No wonder I noticed myself tiring easier when compared to using my Winning 16oz or Everlast Elite 16oz (both of these weigh around 15.6 to 15.9oz).

They are definitely one of my favorite gloves though. The thumb is similar to Reyes (standard) but a little bigger. Excellent punch feedback. I would dare say a tad bit better than Reyes. The padding is a bit thicker and more dense.

... Now I am considering contacting Casanova and have then personally weigh some of their in stock gloves and see which ones are closest to 16oz... Or 12oz.

Deh707, I have a pair of 16oz lace Casanova and there is definitely more room for the fingertips compared to my old 16oz Cleto Reyes.

Deh707, I have a pair of 16oz lace Casanova and there is definitely more room for the fingertips compared to my old 16oz Cleto Reyes.
Any thoughts on the pros &a cons of each, Noodles?

@deh707: you will be the cause of my bankruptcy.

I have the Casanova for about a year now and they are still holding up well.
Hmm, do you prefer them to your Cleto Reyes? If so, why?

I'm going to stick with the Reyes for now. But maybe sometime in the future I will try the Casanovas...

Any thoughts on the pros &a cons of each, Noodles?

Pro: Better thumb placement
More fingertips room
More wrist support

Con: Construction is not as good as Reyes. But to be fair, Casanova are cheaper than Reyes.

Furthermore, I have the combate edition from Juan (Technoir) which includes the double stitching and some additional padding.

Hmm, do you prefer them to your Cleto Reyes? If so, why?

I'm going to stick with the Reyes for now. But maybe sometime in the future I will try the Casanovas...

Overall, I prefer my Casanova because of the better wrist support and better thumb placement. However, even though the Cleto Reyes thumb placement was ackward, it never was never a big deal to me and it never interfered with my training. One thing that I do miss from the Cleto Reyes was the satisfying pop sound when working on heavy bag.

On the topic of well-stitched gloves, I sometimes wish that there were some way to re-fill the padding in gloves. Apart from the padding my Sabas TCs are still in great condition. If there were a way to just get the foam replaced, the leather and stitching would probably last a few years.

Overall, I prefer my Casanova because of the better wrist support and better thumb placement. However, even though the Cleto Reyes thumb placement was ackward, it never was never a big deal to me and it never interfered with my training. One thing that I do miss from the Cleto Reyes was the satisfying pop sound when working on heavy bag.
That's helpful. The pop is what makes bag work fun. haha

Why not campeón instead of casanova? Honestly nearly the same glove especially pocket space and size, But i think the quality is just a had higher on with campeón

Back