QUINTET Fight Night 1

Asurah

|⁰⊖⁰)
@Brown
Reaction score
The teams for the 2nd event of Sakuraba's new grappling league were partially announced yesterday. There's a ton more JMMA veterans this time.
3oUKFUW.jpg

Nkte2Kq.jpg

rQBBkz5.jpg

adfadsfad.jpg

Team ZST hype.

Same format as the first event except the weight limit has been dropped to 360 kg per team and the 4 minute round comes into effect when there's a 10 kg difference between competitors, it was 20 kg before.

Rumor is that Kiyoshi Tamura might be one of the final 2 members for Team U-ZUKIDO, he was Nakamura's trainer back in the day. Nakamura originally asked Sakuraba to join but Saku said he was too heavy for it.

Here's more background on the competitors

The event takes place on June 9th. No English stream announced yet, the first one was on FightPass, but it is going to be live on AbemaTV so at worst you'll have to use a VPN to watch.

Nice to see Imanari and Miyata there.

Are suplexes allowed and heel hooks allowed though?

Thanks TS. here's a few other cliffs:
  • June 9th in Tokyo, Japan
  • UFC FightPass streamed the first event worldwide, but there is not confirmation regarding their continued involvement.
  • However, it is expected there will be an English broadcast due to Stewart Fulton’s (English commentator of Pancrase and QUINTET.1) involvement in their social media presence.

Nice to see Imanari and Miyata there.

Are suplexes allowed and heel hooks allowed though?
Heel hooks were banned in the first event but they were still possibly changing that, other leg locks are legal. For suplexes I might have to reach out to the English commentator to find out for sure. Slams and spikes are banned but I'm not sure if that's more for powerbomb type slams or if that includes suplexes as well.

Heel hooks were banned in the first event but they were still possibly changing that, other leg locks are legal. For suplexes I might have to reach out to the English commentator to find out for sure. Slams and spikes are banned but I'm not sure if that's more for powerbomb type slams or if that includes suplexes as well.

It would be completely unfair if they didn't let Miyata treat the other grapplers like grappling dummies.

pretty good cast of Japanese lower weight class grapplers

I thought the first event was pretty cool, besides the Catch team having a BJJ guy on their team. But I would rather these events stay style vs style. They can switch up weight classes, rules, whatever, but the BJJ vs Judo vs Catch vs Sambo dynamic was really awesome and something that is missing these days.

It could also start a real competition between these systems to really up their games and take home the gold. EVen sticking with the style vs style dynamic, you can get a lot of variation just having and even with all LWs, or HWs, etc, and by matching the styles up against each other differently. I love the first event.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back