R. Lee Ermey has passed away at 74

Gunny was a bad-ass actor, and I loved his shoot-em-up gun shows! No watermelon was safe when Gunny was locked-and-loaded!!

I'll miss him quite a lot! He was such great entertainment, while basically being himself.

Rest in peace, Gunnery SGT Ermey.

Damn RIP. Will always have the best soundboard on the net thanks to FMJ.

Still my fave scene ever in a movie. The tension and suspense you could cut with a knife.

Last edited:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. That was one of his very best roles.
You know you have an unbelievable screen presence when you're in a movie featuring a 6'8 315 lb chainsaw wielding cannibal and your character is still the scariest

Dude was an icon, and will be greatly missed. I will have to watch FMJ in tribute ASAP. Fucking LOVED this dude. Saving Silverman is one of my favorite movies, and he was awesome in that as well.

980x.jpg

His D.I. pic. Damn he look like a hard ass DI.

Accuracy of the Bootcamp part. Fucking love it.

According to Ermey himself, he exaggerated a lot of the abuse he gave the recruits. Some of it wouldn't have been allowed even when he was going through Basic.

Another bit of artistic license, according to some Marines, is a Senior DI interacting to such an extent with recruits. The Senior DI usually has two Junior DI's who do most of the disciplining and instruction of recruits. As one ex-Marine put it,

"If the Senior DI gets in your face, you must have really fucked up!":eek:

According to Ermey himself, he exaggerated a lot of the abuse he gave the recruits. Some of it wouldn't have been allowed even when he was going through Basic.

Another bit of artistic license, according to some Marines, is a Senior DI interacting to such an extent with recruits. The Senior DI usually has two Junior DI's who do most of the disciplining and instruction of recruits. As one ex-Marine put it,

Yeah the senior wouldn’t be the one (usually).

I absolutely saw abuse when I was at Paris Island. The level of abused varied from platoon.

Yeah true. Amongst the junior DI's there is one that unofficially is called the "hard or heavy hat". He is usually the one fucking with you.

Yeah true. Amongst the junior DI's there is one that unofficially is called the "hard or heavy hat". He is usually the one fucking with you.

I read that one of the nicknames for the Junior DI's is, "war dogs".

Ermey may have exaggerated the abuse of recruits, but I don't think anyone is under the impression that USMC Basic Training is a pleasant experience;) And not just for the Marines. Basic pretty much sucks no matter what Service you join.

Used to watch his show Mail Call. He played a great preacher as well in a bunch of shows/movies like Fletch Lives and The X-Files, you had to have stage presence for those types of roles and he had it in spades.

Wow, I’m actually a little surprised to learn he was only 74, that’s only two years older than my Dad. If you had asked me to guess his age honestly I would have guessed that he was closer in age to Clint Eastwood, who’s 87.
That means he was only 43 when the movie came out in 1987 and 41 or 42 during shooting. He definitely looked older than that. I would have guessed mid 50's easily, maybe even early 60's.

Back