Raising Tariffs and supporting private unions in order to end Gun Violence

See, posts like this suggest you and I are not like oil and water (I think that's how you described us) after all. This is a perfectly good and reasonable post!

lol. No we are. :D

But probably nothing that splitting a 12-pack couldn't fix. :cool:

Tickets to Big Island are going cheap right now.

http://bigislandbrewhaus.com/beers/

White Mountain Porter for the win.
giphy.gif

I've seen evidence that there is a correlation between inequality and violence, but how strong is it?
I don't have any studies off the op of my head for you unfortunately but my impression when I did look at this more closely is that its a fairly robust correlation by the standards of the social sciences. You see it play it within and between nations so its there at multiple levels.

I was thinking more of the executive salaries but I'm not against increasing the capital gain's tax either.

Pretty sure Trump's tax plan included a provision that at least ostensibly was supposed to act as a tax cut for small businesses, So yeah, the last time they did that was not that long ago...

increasing capital gains tax does nothing but hurt the middle class. Someone like Bezos an increase in capital gains tax suck because he's going to miss out on a couple hundred million from his billions. For a middle class guy who has been saving with his 401k his whole life it means having less money for retirement.

Anyone with half a brain knows poverty leads to more crime, but how do you fix it?
IMO the way to reduce inequality is to provide less straight up benefits like money for food, housing, phones, children, and being poor; and provide free education.
I've seen people say we need to tax people like Bill Gates and Bezoes into the ground, but what would that help? It don't just have billions and billions in liquid assets. Most of their money is tied up in stocks. Even if you literally take away their stocks and give them away to poor people their stock value would plummet due to everyone trying to cash it out right away.

Taking away the prosperity of some people does nothing to improve the prosperity of everyone else. You need to lift people up, but to do that they have to be involved.

increasing capital gains tax does nothing but hurt the middle class. Someone like Bezos an increase in capital gains tax suck because he's going to miss out on a couple hundred million from his billions. For a middle class guy who has been saving with his 401k his whole life it means having less money for retirement.
That's a fair point.

Wouldn't the taxation be progressive? No reason to charge all capital gains at the same rate.
That was my first thought as well, I'm honestly surprised its not already taxed progressively. I'd have two tiers, anything below $3.5 million being taxed at the current rate and anything above at a rate twice that amount.

I'd have two tiers, anything below $3.5 million being taxed at the current rate and anything above at a rate twice that amount.

Why treat it differently than earned income? Why should someone making 10k pay the same rate as someone making 3 million?

Why treat it differently than earned income? Why should someone making 10k pay the same rate as someone making 3 million?
Because like the other guy said a lot of people rely on capital gains for their retirement. I'm not wedded to the cut off I suggested and I'd have to look into the issue more to be more confident in setting such a cut off but the goal would be to increase the revenue from capital gains taxes by primarily targeting the fattest portfolios.

How did they know how much the gains would be in order to assess the tax?

What does the gains matter? You pay on the difference of taxed money you invest vs how much you cash out. We aren't talking about black market money or anything. This is income taxed at the current tax rates then invested. Would it matter if you bought $5 of McDonald fries or $100M of McDonald fries?

Anyone with half a brain knows poverty leads to more crime, but how do you fix it?
IMO the way to reduce inequality is to provide less straight up benefits like money for food, housing, phones, children, and being poor; and provide free education.
I've seen people say we need to tax people like Bill Gates and Bezoes into the ground, but what would that help? It don't just have billions and billions in liquid assets. Most of their money is tied up in stocks. Even if you literally take away their stocks and give them away to poor people their stock value would plummet due to everyone trying to cash it out right away.

Taking away the prosperity of some people does nothing to improve the prosperity of everyone else. You need to lift people up, but to do that they have to be involved.
I think the ugly truth is that in order to lift people up, other people need to be knocked down.

I'd rather we help the many than continue helping the few so knock these CEOs and Execs the fuck down I say.

I think the ugly truth is that in order to lift people up, other people need to be knocked down.

I'd rather we help the many than continue helping the few so knock these CEOs and Execs the fuck down I say.

Ok so say you take $50,000,000,000 from Jeff Bezos and give it to everyone in america. That's a one time payment of $166 a person at 300 million people. Taking from people doesn't work, you have to create in order to have prosperity.

Because like the other guy said a lot of people rely on capital gains for their retirement. I'm not wedded to the cut off I suggested and I'd have to look into the issue more to be more confident in setting such a cut off but the goal would be to increase the revenue from capital gains taxes by primarily targeting the fattest portfolios.

Sorry, but I'm not seeing how that first part is an answer. Obviously agreed on the second part.

What does the gains matter? You pay on the difference of taxed money you invest vs how much you cash out.

Sounds like you answered your own question.

Back