Range reports: Whatcha do this week?

Put this together at 25 yds with my SIG P220 Carry. Couple fliers but not too shabby altogether.

IMG_20120108_110822.jpg

If I look like a newb, it's because I am a newb.

Me and the gal put about 400 rounds downrange today with the RIA 1911, SR9, and Phoenix HP22A that I got her for Xmas. It was during school hours so the range was pretty slow. Still loving the way the Rock Island groups rounds, but had a pair of FTFs (out of 100 rds). A few issues with the trigger not resetting on the HP22A, but a good cleaning will hopefully take care of that mess. The old trusty SR9 ran flawlessly yet again (the reason it's my bedside heater). Then tonight I got to jump on the BMX (LOL too old? NEVER!) and have a kickass street session. Overall a day and evening well spent. Cheers!

I shot 150 rounds to break in a new Gen 4 Glock 17. I went through 50 rounds in a Les Baer Custom Carry.

I put my bargain build ar through more paces at the range last night.

Been testing its durability as a cheap build and last night was its 3rd trip to the range in 3 weeks without a cleaning.

Only oiled the bolt and charged it a few times before operating. Used Brown Bear .223 steel cased ammo each time out. Put about a total of 500 rounds down range the last two trips and another 100 last night.

No malfunctions at all. So far at least.

I put about 200 rounds through the heritage and 150 (testing different hollow points) through my Kahr 380

went out to the desert yesterday and played around with my brand new ruger single ten

My kids got me one of these bleeding zombie targets for my birthday: Rocky - Tactical Bleeding Zombie Targets - Zombie Industries

They are actually filled with paintballs and they have spots in the foam for tannerite (don't have any left). Something different to shoot at and they thought it was cool. After shooting a couple AR's at it for a while, I decided to take out my S&W 500 (4") and wow I forgot how violently that gun recoils. The 500 is the definition of overkill.

So most ranges in Ontario that I know of, require, as part of the club membership process, a (or several) probationary, supervised shoot(s). I completed my first probationary shoot where I got to fire a Ruger 22/45 and a GP100 that was exactly like the one I have at home. The GP100 had a gunsmithed trigger and that thing was sweet, something I almost certainly want to do to my own gun.

I just put a whole box of Winchester 555 (.22 LR, 36 gr. copper plated hollow point @ 1280 FPS) through my brand new Ruger 10/22. I had like 4 failures-to-feed; 2 in each the factory 10 round mag and the single 25 round Butler Creek, steel lipped mag I bought with it and 1 failure-to-fire, which I fed twice, both produced good primer strikes so I guess it's just that cartidge. I'm actually pretty happy with the combination, BC mags are not as shit as I thought they'd be, so I'll be picking up a few more and Winchester 555 worked well.

I've got 1000 round of Winchester Super X laying around and like 550 Remington Golden Bullets that I'll probably try out next week. Until my ATT get processed through the CFO, my GP100 will still have to stay at home, and I'll have to settle for .22 LR plinking for now. Good thing it's cheap and fun.

Went to the range with my cz 75 sp01 phantom, shot some WWB and federal champ through it. Still not one malfunction with about 1200 rounds, really happy with the gun. I just need to work on my skill going from DA to SA. My kimber pro crimson carry on the other hand is ejecting rounds at my head. I read on the 1911 forum that sometimes a wolff XP spring can fix this problem. I'm going to order one of those and see if it fixes it before thinking about getting my extractor tuned. Overall had a good time, I've been trying to change my stance/grip/etc. accordingly to the magpul dynamic pistol vids I have been watching.

Spent a few hours at the range on Sunday. Took along the .308, .223, and 9mm. Only had about 30 rounds for the .308, 200+ .223, and 20 9mm.

For the .308 and 9mm I was only testing out the handloads that I had worked up. Was very pleased with the 9mm rounds and will be working up a large load. The .308 handloads were absolutely wonderful. I was pegging headshots @ 300 yards easily.

Put a ton of rounds through the AR-15. Was mainly my room mate who is signe dup to join the Marines and wants to learn the weapon. Spent most of our time shooting sillouhette targets @ 100 and 200 yards. Good solid hand loads allowed easy head shot @ 100 yards. Good easy body shots @ 200 yards.

Back to the reloading bench to load up rounds.

I hope this vid works:

Skip to about 1:00 for the fun. Accuracy was for shit! I needed to adjust my front post. It was a bit canted. In my defense, I was trying to hit a 4" bag from 75yds and coukdn't even see it.

Last edited:
Shot my kimber 1911 today with the new recoil spring. It turns out my issue was the kimpro tac magazines suck. I started with wilson combat etm 8 rounder mag in there and everything was fine. I then proceeded to switch to my kimpro mags and instantly got hit in the head with a round. I'm going to try to find some replacement springs for my 5 kimpro tac 8 round mags that came with my gun so that I don't just through them away.

Does the vid I posted of redneck furniture disposal work? It worked on my desktop but it was kinda glitchy.

It works. Got da boom-shaka-laka. The laugh when it went off was great.

Went to the range with my cz 75 sp01 phantom, shot some WWB and federal champ through it. Still not one malfunction with about 1200 rounds, really happy with the gun. I just need to work on my skill going from DA to SA. My kimber pro crimson carry on the other hand is ejecting rounds at my head. I read on the 1911 forum that sometimes a wolff XP spring can fix this problem. I'm going to order one of those and see if it fixes it before thinking about getting my extractor tuned. Overall had a good time, I've been trying to change my stance/grip/etc. accordingly to the magpul dynamic pistol vids I have been watching.

Yeah, my Rock Island GI spits brass into the hood of my hoodie, and I don't find em sometimes until way later. I don't wear it to the range anymore LOL. My girl learned quick not to wear v-necks to the range.

Shot my kimber 1911 today with the new recoil spring. It turns out my issue was the kimpro tac magazines suck. I started with wilson combat etm 8 rounder mag in there and everything was fine. I then proceeded to switch to my kimpro mags and instantly got hit in the head with a round. I'm going to try to find some replacement springs for my 5 kimpro tac 8 round mags that came with my gun so that I don't just through them away.

Yeah, I have no probs with the ACT 8-rounder that came with my Rock, but the 2 generic 7-rounders give me lockback and feeding issues. Never cheaping out on mags again.

It works. Got da boom-shaka-laka. The laugh when it went off was great.

First laugh was me, second was my girl's brother, along with the commentary.

I finally got it up on YouTube, too. The quality might be better there.

I got my redneck on this weekend and hiked up with some new shooting buddies to some Crown Land and spent the day shooting each other's guns. It was my first time shooting out to triple digit yardages (approximately 160ish) and my noobishness considered, my 10/22 did a good job at hitting 16" plates offhand at that distance. Also got a chance to shoot a 1.25 oz, 2.75", 12 gauge slug through this short ass, break action single shot (ouch) and banged on some steel with a buddy's .30-06 Browning/Miroku bolt, some SKS', and a Moisin Nagant. Good times, I'll need to do that again.

Back