Range reports: Whatcha do this week?

I hear you on the .22 pistol, I want a ruger sr22 one of these days. What kind of sig are you shooting?

SP2022. nothing spectacular.

And I'm looking at either the Ruger or a Walther P22.

I'm favoring the Walther because I can never find the SR-22 Talo at local shops.

I'm favoring the Walther because I can never find the SR-22 Talo at local shops.

I shot a walther p22 once before, I thought it was pretty good and it was eating the cheap ammo. The dots on the sights felt kind of a small when I fired it, but I still liked the gun a lot.

At $75 for ammo and targets, I could have purchased a decent bottle of scotch and got a better value. I need to get a 22 pistol next.

I have an SP2022 as well. I have a million things on my next to buy list, but I think I'm going to get a 22 rifle, probably a ruger 10/22. Pretty inexpensive new, and you can customize the shit out of them.

I have an SP2022 as well. I have a million things on my next to buy list, but I think I'm going to get a 22 rifle, probably a ruger 10/22. Pretty inexpensive new, and you can customize the shit out of them.

Amen to that, I'm in the process of tricking mine out. The options for various stocks makes it a really appealing rifle. There some cool fluted barrel designs as well. I have my eyes on a green mountain fluted bull barrel for my next upgrade to the ruger 10 22. Do you know what upgrades you will get for the ruger 10 22 when you buy it?

Last edited:
Went out to the range with a few friends. Brought the glock 21 and the remington r-25

Meant to shoot the glock but ended up spending the entire time at the long distance range with the r-25. The range has steel animal shaped targets form 200 to 700 yards out. Was able to consistently hit the antelope shaped target at 525 yards, but they coyote target at 600 was a bit harder with the scope I have.

I've got a P22. I love it. Shoots great, haven't had any problem with any ammo, it eats everything. Works great with my Silencerco Sparrow as well.

Went to the range today and fired the ruger 10 22 as well as my sig mosquito sport. The sig had a lot of issues when I first fired it, but it was bone dry. I lubed it up and took it to the fans and it worked fine. I had some issues, but not nearl as much. I need to use some CCI mini mags and see what happens with it. Still enjoying the ruger 10 22.

Amen to that, I'm in the process of tricking mine out. The options for various stocks makes it a really appealing rifle. There some cool fluted barrel designs as well. I have my eyes on a green mountain fluted bull barrel for my next upgrade to the ruger 10 22. Do you know what upgrades you will get for the ruger 10 22 when you buy it?

I was thinking of buying one of those archangel kits, ive seen them for around $150.

Ok. Took my RIA 1911 back to the range for some proper shooting today.

Last time I shot 50 rounds of Monarch "total metal jacket" or something like that.

The gun didn't jam, but shot poorly, and a couple rounds may have fragmented in the barrel.

Took it back today, with 200 rounds of Winchester 230 grain FMJ, and shot through 200 rounds in an hour. No misfires, shot a lot smoother, and I could put the bullets where I wanted them. Here is the grouping for my last 8 round mag at 21 ft.

Untitled.jpg

My only remaining complaint is that the sights are all black, with no contrast, making it difficult to see where I'm aiming when shooting a black target (for head shots, etc.)

The image is cropped because I filled the head of the target with 22 rounds before taking the picture, and there were a few strays.

I like the all black sights, but it does suck when you're shooting against the black background. I find all black sights more easy to acquire than the two or three dots out there though. My Kimber crimson pro carry has all black sights and I'm having a hard time making myself replace them for night sights.

Ok. Took my RIA 1911 back to the range for some proper shooting today.

Last time I shot 50 rounds of Monarch "total metal jacket" or something like that.

The gun didn't jam, but shot poorly, and a couple rounds may have fragmented in the barrel.

Took it back today, with 200 rounds of Winchester 230 grain FMJ, and shot through 200 rounds in an hour. No misfires, shot a lot smoother, and I could put the bullets where I wanted them. Here is the grouping for my last 8 round mag at 21 ft.

Untitled.jpg

My only remaining complaint is that the sights are all black, with no contrast, making it difficult to see where I'm aiming when shooting a black target (for head shots, etc.)

The image is cropped because I filled the head of the target with 22 rounds before taking the picture, and there were a few strays.

Good shooting.

WhiteOut.png

White out on the front sight will work in a pinch for all black sights. People been doing it forever

Good shooting.

WhiteOut.png

White out on the front sight will work in a pinch for all black sights. People been doing it forever

Thanks, I was thinking about cheap alternatives to replacing my sights. Was considering painting them. White out sounds even easier and more effective.

shot some 22 rounds into a makeshift backstop made of folded towels, old cushions, and 3 phonebooks. Here are the results:

22lrtop-1.jpg

22LRside.jpg

Everything but the Minimag stopped in the second cushion. The minimag went through about an inch and a half of phonebook. I think that was why it was the only one to deform. Still, not very reassuring...

point blank. close enough that the muzzle flash burned a hole in the towel. maybe 3"

wanted to make sure I didn't miss.

I would say try it again at about 5-10 yrds out and see if it changes anything. I doubt it but you never know. Thanks for the post though. i love see stuff like that. I never have the chance to recover my rds and compare.

Wow. Interesting to see what Mini mag does compared to the others.

My question is, how long did it take you to find each one? Ha.

My dad and I went and rented a G17 Saturday and had a blast. He's never shot anything before and it had been a long time since me and some buddies went and rented one. My dad had trouble keeping his shots close and ended up spraying all over the target. He was flinching which he'll have to get over if he's going to get better. My shots were tight on the silhouette at 7 and 10 yards. I had a few strays but they were mostly in the center.

I've been looking to buy something for a while but uncertainty at work has prevented me from spending the money. When I do get that settled, I'll be back with my own next time we go.

I would say try it again at about 5-10 yrds out and see if it changes anything. I doubt it but you never know. Thanks for the post though. i love see stuff like that. I never have the chance to recover my rds and compare.

No can do. I was at my brother's house where, technically, it is legal to shoot, but the area is flat for miles and there are houses in every direction. We set up a backstop that would be ABSOLUTELY sure of stopping the rounds we used, and didn't even move on to 9mm or 45 cartridges after the minimag penetrated half our backstop.
Wow. Interesting to see what Mini mag does compared to the others.

My question is, how long did it take you to find each one? Ha.

I really think the difference was in how far the minimag penetrated. None of the other bullets made it to the phone books.

It didn't take too long, we cut a small opening in the cushion where the bullet entered, and felt around for a hard lump. That was the bullet. The minimag was embedded in the phone book, and so we just opened to the last page that had a hole in it.

Went and rezeroed my scoped M1A. Hadn't shot it in several months and it was nice to get it back on zero at 100 yards. Once I had it zeroed it was fun punching nice tight groups at 100 yards

Back