Ranking System in Muay Thai

erznana**

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First of all just want to say hello. I've been lurking for a while on here. I've been training Muay Thai for close to a year now and have a background in boxing. Competed in one boxing event and lost. Love them both though I have to say that my strength is definitely in my hands. Anyway....

My school will soon be implementing a ranking system similar to belts in TKD, BJJ, etc, but using the prajoud in place of a belt. Right now we are split up in a punchers group for beginners, then front kick for semi-intermediate, roundhouse kick for intermediate, combination of all techniques for advanced, and a fighters group. Can someone tell me what the rankings are, how they work and how it is attained?

There is only one ranking system in muay thai and that is fighting and winning in the stadiums. As far as ranks go in a gym, that is total BULLSHIT!!:icon_chee Just like in boxing there is no ranking system within the gym. You will not be able to distinguish who the camps strongest fighters are just by the trunks/shorts they are wearing. A ranking system in the gym is more of a ploy to get you to test to get to the next level and your instructor is probably going to make you pay a fee. That shit says TKD all day long. And prajieds are only worn during a fight. No one trains in them. :icon_chee hahaha. Well maybe they do at the muay thai mcdojos. What is gyms website?

There is only one ranking system in muay thai and that is fighting and winning in the stadiums. As far as ranks go in a gym, that is total BULLSHIT!!:icon_chee Just like in boxing there is no ranking system within the gym. You will not be able to distinguish who the camps strongest fighters are just by the trunks/shorts they are wearing. A ranking system in the gym is more of a ploy to get you to test to get to the next level and your instructor is probably going to make you pay a fee. That shit says TKD all day long. And prajieds are only worn during a fight. No one trains in them. :icon_chee hahaha. Well maybe they do at the muay thai mcdojos. What is gyms website?

Muay Thai Team Toro Ricardo Perez Chicago Muay Thai Club Team Toro

My Khru is actually one of Saekson Janjira's old students. This was not his idea but Saeksons idea to do this ranking system. Our school will eventually be called Janjira Muay Thai at some point. Yes you are correct, they don't train in the prajouds and I don't think there will be anyway to tell us apart. Not that I care. Just wondering why and if some schools did that.

Alot of american kickboxing gyms will do that, its not a new idea. It is basically marketing,most people need a physical carrot on a stick to follow to get them to stick with it.

Are they actually teaching Muay Thai? *shrug* maybe... Depends on the school.

I dont think any of the Thai Boxing Association Schools have a visible belt or rank system.

They test, but its usually just, "ok you can peform all the basic techniques without falling on your ass you can go into the advanced class and spar now." At least from what I have seen.

The TBA instructor test is a different matter.

It's about money 9/10 times. I have no clue why someone as reputable as Saekson Janjira would implement such a foolish idea. Ask your khru why you are starting a ranking system. Ask your if he has been to Thailand and if he had ever seen a ranking system in a camp before and when he saying NO, ask him, "then why are we?" Do you all have the fight music playing while you are training as well? I just think Muay Thai should be kept in context. From a business stand point, it's a great way to earn some extra cash on the side.:D

Yeah, if they are charging for the "testing" or advancement, thats kinda a dick move.

If its just a way for people to track their progress that they can relate to... meh its not a HORRIBLE idea, but as folks have said it is in no way an element of traditional Muay Thai.

lol i like this pic of Saekson

teamtoro_088lg.jpg

I see.....so it has begun, the bastardization of Muay Thai, like TKD.

Well, as long as there are full contact competitions, i don't think it will be too bad.

A ranking system in the gym is more of a ploy to get you to test to get to the next level and your instructor is probably going to make you pay a fee.

Which came first: McDojos or Scientology?

There is no ranking in Muay Thai (just like there is no rank in a boxing gym). However, I know Ricardo and his team and his gym is legit. I am sure that he must have a good reason to incorporate them (besides the fact that Kru Janjira wants him to). Usually I would run from a Muay Thai gym that had a ranking system like that but, Ricardo's team is top notch.

at my school we dont have a ranking system... you just cant wear thai shorts until you are given some.

I think having ranking system in MT is a truly bad idea. It's just remove the tradition. MT fighters are not rank, if they are classified, the real testing ground is the ring..
I'm a Daido Juku and having a black belt is a privilege but having a gi and a belt for MT just look more worst for the practitioner

There is no ranking in Muay Thai (just like there is no rank in a boxing gym). However, I know Ricardo and his team and his gym is legit. I am sure that he must have a good reason to incorporate them (besides the fact that Kru Janjira wants him to). Usually I would run from a Muay Thai gym that had a ranking system like that but, Ricardo's team is top notch.

Thanks for stating that. For the record, Ricardo is a top notch Muay Thai Kru. He's trained and cornered Felice Herrig in her recent win at Shin Do Kumate, he trains Mark Miller from the IFL, Raul Llopis just to name a few. In the first episode of The Contender Muay Thai, you will see a picture of him and Raul Llopis on the wall of one of the locker rooms before Nareupols fight in episode 1. Make no mistake, this gym is legit and Ricardo along with Saekson make yearly trips to Thailand. I'm sure there is good reason why he is doing it.

its a good way to earn coin. Full stop.

Probably a neccessity for many gyms in the western world, seeing as the majority of people who patronise a fighting gym won't be fighters. It's easy to say "they should stick to tradition", but at the end of the day a gym is a business and needs money to survive.

its a good way to earn coin. Full stop.

Probably a necessity for many gyms in the western world, seeing as the majority of people who patronize a fighting gym won't be fighters. It's easy to say "they should stick to tradition", but at the end of the day a gym is a business and needs money to survive.

Very true but the gym should survive with the dues paid by it's members. Testing fees are usually a scam to get more money out of the members at TKD and other TMA schools.

lol'ed at this so much I pissed my pants, well almost.

It's a westernisation of another great sport that will, in the end see it watered down just like TKD.

I advise that you skip that gym because it will only end up costing you more and more money as you progress.

No such thing as a grading for gyms just experience in the ring and respect for all that train.

And of course the top dog is the guy with the most titles, lmao

if someone ever tells me they have a black belt in muay thai, they should hang there head in shame.
belts mean nothing in the ring.

You wouldn't come to gyms who have grapplings grading like Jui-Jitsu because it's a waste of time and money??

I agree to the Muay Thai thing because since the beginning it has no grading system but it is differs to the arts and it's culture

I currently train at Saekson's and he just implemented the ranking system. He was tired of seeing new guys trying to give the more experienced guys advice.

Back