Ranking System in Muay Thai

Sparring is a whole different thing from working technique. And it's a symbiotic relationship in that it gives you a context for the skill-work you do.

I jumped into sparring as quickly as a could for a couple reasons:

1) Fighting is what MT is about. It's not some abstracted TMA where you focus on forms, or pretend you can kill someone with a single mighty blow (too powerful to practice on eachother). If I was going to do MT, I really wanted to do it. Some people HATE being hit. That's just the way it is. Some people can't deal with it and don't enjoy that. And even the context matters (some peopel don't mind having their arm cranked to the moon, but don't hit them in the face). So I wanted to get in their and see if 'real' trainign was something I could even deal with before investing time and money in something I'd never want to do "for realz".

2) Is the context thing: you just improve so much faster when you're actually learning for yourself what works and what doesn't. It allows you to frame bag/mitt techniques in terms of sparring/fighting, and not just abstractly or against a bag/mitt.

I agree to what you say. I am just a average guy. But what you say totally true.

Any 'ranking' in MT is only going to be applicable to the school that awards it and won't mean shit outside of it.

Now take said Black belt in Muay Thai and go to Thailand, go to a gym and ask if you can fight at a small event (if they allow you!) and now watch as a 50 year old 120 pound Thai taxi driver with a serious smoking and drinking problem, kicks you around the ring.........:icon_chee

man, this is really sad. they are ripping off their students. those black belts will get whipped by 12 yr olds in Thailand. If there's a golden rule in looking for a MT gym, never enroll in MT gyms with belt systems.

luckily, I still have to see a boxing gym with belt system.

if you were to ask me, for boxing and MT, belts are for the insecure.

Now take said Black belt in Muay Thai and go to Thailand, go to a gym and ask if you can fight at a small event (if they allow you!) and now watch as a 50 year old 120 pound Thai taxi driver with a serious smoking and drinking problem, kicks you around the ring.........:icon_chee

Yes that's how it would be !!

Ok Then.. My school hands out belts after a certain amount of time (around 20 claases per level).... Should I be refusing them??? What would honor the school and Muay Thai??? Should I just tell people that my school doesn't really have a belt ranking system that shows skill... it just represents longevity of envolement....

If you need levels...............

Just split the classes based on skill level, beginners, intermediate, advance and fighters.

If you want to fight you work your way up to fight, if you just want to learn all the moves and get very fit then you just work up to the advance class.

You don't need a chocolate starfish badge do you? Just to prove how good you are!

Ok Then.. My school hands out belts after a certain amount of time (around 20 claases per level).... Should I be refusing them??? What would honor the school and Muay Thai??? Should I just tell people that my school doesn't really have a belt ranking system that shows skill... it just represents longevity of envolement....

Do i get you right now ?
After 20 classes you get another belt ?? Thats totally insane.. In Karate,TKD and other MA who use the ranking system. Get the new rank,color or belt if them did prove that them is worthy of getting it. Sorry my english sucks but hope you understand me....
If you fail to do everything with right technique. And fail in other parts of the test. Will the students not get the new rank or belt..

If your gym throws out belts after every 20 class or so. Is it totally insane. Muay Thai have nothing to do with ranking at all. The only ranking i know about. Is them different shorts them get from each event. Lets say you did fight in big gala or so what ever here in Thailand. Then you get a shorts. And if you run around in that one or use it in the gym. Do others see and understand that you are something. Or that you did participate in a special gala or fight. Know this was a crappy explanation. But this is the closest you ever will come near ranking in Muay Thai if you ask me..

This is all over all ready. And its like a virus. This will destroy the style of Muay Thai in UK and America. In Europe we not use this crappy method. In America you guys to aero-kick or call it what you want. But you guys are not doing Muay Thai. Know some gyms still run things with out no rankings and stuff. If i was you would i just change the gym. If you not take the belt after another 20 classes or so. Will you be the only one. And everyone will probably look you down..

But if you have balls. Then you say no thanks and just train with out !!

I am just a average guy. I am no Muay Thai champion or so what ever. I have only 4 fights. But if you invest in a trip to Thailand. 3-4 weeks or more. Will you understand the difference between Muay Thai and what you probably are doing now..

The prajiad should not be used as a tool to show rank.
It has spiritial meaning, the prajiad is very important.
Anyway rank nis not an indicator of ability, same high ranking artists cannot perform in real combat.

completely true.

i agree that traditional Muay Thai and Boxing do not have belts, it is not part of the history and culture of the sports.

but i pose this question to everyone since most people say belts are worthless is MT/Boxing - what is the value of ANY belt in ANY martial art?

what i mean is, we all know Karate, TKD, BJJ all have belts. but what is the POINT of even having belts in these sports? as stated above RANK is NOT an indicator of ability, many black belts would get their asses beat by white belt just because they can't do real combat.

people say you goto Thailand and say "i have black belt in Muay Thai" and they laugh, but WHY is this different than if i goto Japan and say "i have black belt in karate"?

for example -

Karate has 1) Forms and Technique (Katas) and 2) Fighting (competitions)

Muay Thai has 1) Forms and Technique (correct kicks/punches/elbows/knees) and 2) Fighting (stadiums for example)

just because some guy has black belt in karate, why does he get respect even though he may not be able to fight? shouldn't we just eliminate belt system in karate if it doesn't mean anything?

And in Thailand do many training 2 times a day 6 days a week. Me and others would be black belts in just a month. Hope you get the point bro ?? No disrespect just had to lay it out there ;)

And try thinking about how many minutes. You get alone with your trainer back home. Thats not many i know. And here in Thailand you do mitts/pad work with you trainer 5 rounds x 3 minutes + + +. The training here compare to back home is totally different. 1 month here in Thailand will be around 6 months + of training back home. Because of the intensity of the training. And the time your trainer have time to look out and take care only you....

So let me get this straight, your school has a JAPANESE belt system to mark your progress in Muay Thai?!?

I don't know what's more ridiculous, a Japanese belt system in Thailand's national sport or pissing all over Thai culture by making the Prajioud a grading marker and charging money for it!?

People are fucking retarded. You do Muay Thai to fight. If you want to get in shape audition for the biggest loser. Stop being part of the watering down process of another martial art in America.

so let me get this straight, your school has a japanese belt system to mark your progress in muay thai?!?

I don't know what's more ridiculous, a japanese belt system in thailand's national sport or pissing all over thai culture by making the prajioud a grading marker and charging money for it!?

People are fucking retarded. You do muay thai to fight. If you want to get in shape audition for the biggest loser. Stop being part of the watering down process of another martial art in america.

word !!

MT works fine without one.
Why try and fix something that ain't broke.

MT works fine without one.
Why try and fix something that ain't broke.

Yes 100%

But to all the RETARDS who use this method. Should rename it. And call it Aero-Kick or something different. I have idea to take this thread to another level. Have idea to talk with some Thai guys around. And get the statement from them. If i am lucky i can get it on the TV to ;)

Know i over react to this thread. But maybe good in one way. So all you guys out there. Who support and do this. Maybe one day will wake the fuck up !!

SHAME ON YOU ALL !!

completely true.

i agree that traditional Muay Thai and Boxing do not have belts, it is not part of the history and culture of the sports.

but i pose this question to everyone since most people say belts are worthless is MT/Boxing - what is the value of ANY belt in ANY martial art?

what i mean is, we all know Karate, TKD, BJJ all have belts. but what is the POINT of even having belts in these sports? as stated above RANK is NOT an indicator of ability, many black belts would get their asses beat by white belt just because they can't do real combat.

people say you goto Thailand and say "i have black belt in Muay Thai" and they laugh, but WHY is this different than if i goto Japan and say "i have black belt in karate"?

for example -

Karate has 1) Forms and Technique (Katas) and 2) Fighting (competitions)

Muay Thai has 1) Forms and Technique (correct kicks/punches/elbows/knees) and 2) Fighting (stadiums for example)

just because some guy has black belt in karate, why does he get respect even though he may not be able to fight? shouldn't we just eliminate belt system in karate if it doesn't mean anything?

Who says the black belt in karate gets respect for it?

The top three things ruining Muay Thai all over the world:

1. Ranking systems imposed by schools for people who don't fight.
2. Kru Certification programs (don't get me started on this one).
3. Instructors with NO actual ring experience.

I fight and none of my trainers in Thailand have Kru certification papers from anywhere despite having fought hundreds of times each. So, how is it that someone with NO ring experience outranks me because they got a black belt or quadruple platinum prajioud from a "Certified Kru" who doesn't have any ring experience either?!

Like I said, FUCKING RETARDED! If you hold a belt, prajioud or colored shorts rank in Muay Thai or you train under a Certified Kru who has never fought, you are part of the problem and I have no respect for you or your school.

The top three things ruining Muay Thai all over the world:

1. Ranking systems imposed by schools for people who don't fight.
2. Kru Certification programs (don't get me started on this one).
3. Instructors with NO actual ring experience.

I fight and none of my trainers in Thailand have Kru certification papers from anywhere despite having fought hundreds of times each. So, how is it that someone with NO ring experience outranks me because they got a black belt or quadruple platinum prajioud from a "Certified Kru" who doesn't have any ring experience either?!

Like I said, FUCKING RETARDED! If you hold a belt, prajioud or colored shorts rank in Muay Thai or you train under a Certified Kru who has never fought, you are part of the problem and I have no respect for you or your school.

Bro you are for real,,...

Respect !!

Who says the black belt in karate gets respect for it?

Everybody knows that "black belt" = "badass".

Man, if I could earn a black belt in Muay Thai, that would be, like, totally sweet. I'd wear a cool jacket that says "Muay Thai Black Belt" in big letters on the back, and maybe form a "Black Belt Club" for all the other cool black belts in town. And I'd be, like, the leader.

I'd probably never have to pay for sex again.

Everybody knows that "black belt" = "badass".

Man, if I could earn a black belt in Muay Thai, that would be, like, totally sweet. I'd wear a cool jacket that says "Muay Thai Black Belt" in big letters on the back, and maybe form a "Black Belt Club" for all the other cool black belts in town. And I'd be, like, the leader.

I'd probably never have to pay for sex again.

He he !! Sweet but totally gay. Hope you not support this down trip of the sport ??

Im Chi-bin's gym in Korea has an optional ranking system. Not sure why because of the language barrier, but there's just a little thing on the wall with everyone's names, and they're listed by rank. I think there were 6 or something. Testing was optional, costs about USD $10, and they had 3 tests in the year I was there. I could never figure out why they did this - it didn't seem like they ever used the rankings for anything, and nobody wore anything to mark their rank - but maybe it was just a cultural thing (testing, in general, is very important in Korea). The only thing that rank seemed to afford you was that you had to be two levels in to purchase some of the gym's shirts/shorts.

Anyway, I bring that up to make two points: that this is not strictly a US-based phenomenon, and that a legit fighter's gym might use internal rankings for some reason.

Back