Raspberry Pi 3 released with new hardware at the same price. Update: new Pi 3+ released

What's a good controller to use? The first time I tried the PS4 Dualshock 4 via USB, it ended up freezing and had to unplug power. It also didn't seem to do the controller quick save state, but that may have been me brain farting using start instead of select.

I got the PS3 controller to work via Bluetooth, then when I tried to turn on PS3 with it, it was ignored and had to power on via PS3 console's button and connect controller via USB cable. I'm guessing you can only pair these things with one machine exclusively at a time.
Yeah, they can only be paired with one thing at a time to my knowledge.

What's a good controller to use? The first time I tried the PS4 Dualshock 4 via USB, it ended up freezing and had to unplug power. It also didn't seem to do the controller quick save state, but that may have been me brain farting using start instead of select.

I got the PS3 controller to work via Bluetooth, then when I tried to turn on PS3 with it, it was ignored and had to power on via PS3 console's button and connect controller via USB cable. I'm guessing you can only pair these things with one machine exclusively at a time.
Bluetooth is peer-to-peer, so it can only handle a single connection per antennae.

As long as you turn the power switch on the back of the PS3 off your good to go. I use my PS3 controller with my Pi-3 and it works great.

Does bluetooth use more CPU power than USB connected controller? I've seen a very noticeable audio difference via USB cable with a game that barely runs.

Does bluetooth use more CPU power than USB connected controller? I've seen a very noticeable audio difference via USB cable with a game that barely runs.

Absolutely no reason it should. Unless you’re taking about what you hear on BT headphones or headphones connected to a BT controller because there is a bandwidth lag not a CPU issue.

Absolutely no reason it should. Unless you’re taking about what you hear on BT headphones or headphones connected to a BT controller because there is a bandwidth lag not a CPU issue.
I'm talking garbled shit while playing and intelligible sped up talking during lower CPU usage cutscene playback vs. I can tell what's being said during play and way closer to normal talking audio during cutscenes.

Can't say for sure if it's USB wired connection or reboot system after changing a bunch of settings.

EDIT: I tried it again with Bluetooth and audio during low CPU usage scenes were normal, so I think it was a full system reboot after fiddling with settings.

Last edited:
I tried a game, and it was barely playable due to being super duper slow and pure shit audio. I tried a diff thing to play the game, and it wouldn't show the vital important stuff on the screen, but only showed blank background, and it was supposed to be better. I googled and saw some recommended detailed settings and did those and now can actually play the game way closer to normal! It's has slowdown and it's shitty picture quality, but playable.

These things have barely enough power to run some games. I think I need to overclock and/or buy the 4th iteration that hopefully has more power.

They released a Pi 3 model 3+ today. Price is still $35
  • A 1.4GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
  • Dual-band 802.11ac wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.2
  • Faster Ethernet (Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0)
  • Power-over-Ethernet support (with separate PoE HAT)
  • Improved PXE network and USB mass-storage booting
  • Improved thermal management

I read this Pi 3 B+ is the same CPU but with better heat management and the board doesn't necessarily fit old Pi 3 cases because of something.

Anyone get good results with PPSSPP or N64?

I read this Pi 3 B+ is the same CPU but with better heat management and the board doesn't necessarily fit old Pi 3 cases because of something.

Anyone get good results with PPSSPP or N64?
The previous generations didn’t have a heat spreader on the cpu, it was a naked chip.
Almost all the cases are interchangeable between the Pi2 through the new 3 B+ models. The dimensions and mounting holes are all the same on those models.
You should still do your research. Cases are dirt cheap though. You can pick a basic one off of eBay for $3, have a buddy with a 3d printer make you one, or steal your kids legos to make one.

My question is what can you actually do with a Raspberry Pi? like can they run anything?

My question is what can you actually do with a Raspberry Pi? like can they run anything?

I'm curious about this as well. What is the appeal here with these devices? Seems like a lot of tinkering to do functions that can be done with cheaper specialized hw (albeit not configurable)

I'm curious about this as well. What is the appeal here with these devices? Seems like a lot of tinkering to do functions that can be done with cheaper specialized hw (albeit not configurable)

A lot of people run them for emulation. They can run upto PS1, a few N64 Games, theres a list somewhere with what games it can and can't run on certain consoles.

A lot of people run them for emulation. They can run upto PS1, a few N64 Games, theres a list somewhere with what games it can and can't run on certain consoles.

In addition to console emulation it is also used for home automation.

Some can, some can't (depending on sale prices). I'm currently trying to get mine to function as a Google home and pi-hole at the same time. You can run pi-hole for free on any computer at the cost of some resources, but a dedicated device costs more than a raspberry pi. And Google home retails for $100+, although it can be as cheap as $30 on sale.

Mostly it's just for fun tinkering though.

I still have the original and it was great at running Kodi. The only problem is I need Hulu and Netflix as well so I switch to a firestick which is to slow but it's just for the bedroom so I deal with it.

One cool thing is being able to play your Japanese PS1 games without having to take the old PS1 out of storage.

I watched a few videos about the 3 B+ and seems like the conclusion is not really worth upgrading from the 3 and reviewers suggested overclocked 3 would perform about the same as the 3 B+.

I've seen someone showing PSP video that was really normal looking, but it was 2D sidescrollers.

Questions:

1) What are you supposed to do when the command prompt screen won't recognize your keyboard? I read I might need a low power keyboard or to try a better Micro USB cable maybe 3ft and thicker.

2) Why does my keyboard's # give what I think is the French currency symbol? [nevermind, I'm going to try dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration then reboot]

3) Do those high rise skyscraper heatsinks make a significant difference in heat? I have just the regular short ones on CPU and network chips and the case top off and I think it said temp was 57C after a several minute game mission.

Last edited:
Some can, some can't (depending on sale prices). I'm currently trying to get mine to function as a Google home and pi-hole at the same time. You can run pi-hole for free on any computer at the cost of some resources, but a dedicated device costs more than a raspberry pi. And Google home retails for $100+, although it can be as cheap as $30 on sale.

Mostly it's just for fun tinkering though.

Let me know if you get pi-hole running and your thoughts. it's really caught my interest lately.

Supermoderator & developer "wrxstasy" from the Kodi TV forums. As you can see the Raspberry Pi is the only Android reference device for Kodi developers:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
Kodi forums said:
Q. Which devices are reference hardware used by LibreELEC developers themselves to run Kodi on ?
NOTE: RPI2 = RPi3 ; Generic = Intel / AMD x86_64
These devices run stable LibreELEC and can autoupdate themselves as well.

Q. I need the most stable, proven, bullet proof, 1080p Kodi use only, boxes going around ?
NOTE: No 8/10bit HEVC Hardware decoding with these devices so there will be limitations Software decoding and playing back 10bit content.
  • ASUS Chromebox running LibreELEC
  • RPi3
This $80 startup kit is the #1 barebones PC item on Amazon over here in the States (~$106 AUD, ~€67, or ~£58). It's a ready-to-install Android Kodi Box & Emulator:
https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Rasp...rd_wg=MQkCx&psc=1&refRID=AHRW95Y81PZT8XS1QB6R
  • Includes Made in UK Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (B Plus) with 1.4 GHz 64-bit Quad-Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
  • Dual Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz IEEE 802.11.b/g/n/ac Wireless LAN, Enhanced Ethernet Performance
  • 32 GB Samsung EVO+ Micro SD Card (Class 10) Pre-loaded with NOOBS, USB MicroSD Card Reader
  • CanaKit 2.5A USB Power Supply with Micro USB Cable and Noise Filter - Specially designed for the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (UL Listed)
  • Premium Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Case, High Quality HDMI Cable, 2 x Heat Sinks, GPIO Quick Reference Card, CanaKit Full Color Quick-Start Guide
91I2lczz-EL._SL1500_.jpg

Make it an even $100 if you want to add this backlit Bluetooth bad boy with a USB-rechargeable battery ($20):
https://www.amazon.com/Rii-i8-Wirel...pID=513xkaYK-UL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
71K%2Bes5WncL._SL1500_.jpg

A more premium full-sized alternative from Logitech that is also backlit and USB-rechargeable ($50):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZOPVSKW/ref=emc_b_5_t
71VwBoml5RL._SL1500_.jpg

More primitive, but still backlit, and still USB-rechargeable ($18):
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Key...rd_wg=QcMMb&psc=1&refRID=6J4XHKENDEY34G9TMAEQ
719OvEIaBjL._SL1500_.jpg

The SNES is the most popular platform to emulate via Snes9x EX+, and this is the #1 gamepad accessory for Android devices like the Raspberry Pi on Amazon ($12):
https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-iBuf...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FGWW40VC59S4S2632H9C
515PnGC-tdL._SL1000_.jpg

The cheapest popular wireless dual-analog Android controller with its 800 mAh USB-rechargeable battery is almost as cheap as the cheapest wired options ($23):
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Co...525270045&sr=1-13&keywords=android+controller
61jnnpMjBXL._SL1000_.jpg

It's roughly double the price for the innovator and longtime king Moga ProA wireless phone-holder rig ($40). It empowers you to take your game on the go with your phone (up to 3.2"/81mm wide; nearly every phone ever released). In addition to receiving specific brand firmware support for rollouts like Samsung's Gear VR program the real reason the Moga is so much better than all its competitors is the 2200 mAh USB-rechargeable battery:
https://www.amazon.com/PowerA-MOGA-Pro-Power-Electronic-Games/dp/B00FB5RBJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525268071&sr=8-1&keywords=moga+android+controller&dpID=41fFpK%2BLwOL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1
71jsE952TkL._AC_.jpg

Here is the open-market competitor to the Xbox One, PS4, or Steam controllers. Those cost little more than this top-of-the-line wireless Steelseries Stratus XL for PC/Android ($43). The biggest advantage this controller holds over those above is Windows compatibility:
https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-...525270045&sr=1-12&keywords=android+controller
71erzLu-XrL._SL1316_.jpg

The biggest competitors to the Raspberry Pi for DIY Cordcutters are the Amlogic S912 Android TV kits out there because that chipset is significantly more powerful than the 1.4GHz quad core Raspberry Pi 3+ (or any lesser) chipset. Products like the Skystream Two & MINIX U9-H appeal to the gray market niche of people who want potentially illegal streams, but don't understand how to maintain their software, and depend on the box provider for firmware updates. That's why they cost more.
Kodi forums said:
Q. Fastest - Appliance like - pure - Kodi only boxes booting straight into LibreELEC Kodi or OSMC Kodi
(Highly recommended for those needing Kodi only - Vero 4K and C2 include TV / AVR - HDMI-CEC control)
  • Intel / AMD x86-64.
  • Chromeboxes, the ASUS being the most popular.
  • ODROID C2 (using eMMC Flash storage, can be CPU/RAM overclocked)
  • Vero 4K running OSMC Kodi
  • DIY LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on a AMLogic S912, like the MINIX U9-H
For full-blown cordcutters who know how to run everything themselves they're just after an Android TV bundle carrying the Amlogic S912 chipset with the most hardware for your dollar, and these offer the best bang-for-your-buck on the market. Example ($79):
  • T95Z+ Android 7.1 TV Box
    • Amlogic S912 octacore 1.5GHz chipset
    • 2GB RAM
    • 16GB SD storage
  • 1 x IR Remote controller
  • 1 X Wireless Mini Keyboard (AAA Batteries Required,But Not Included)
  • 1 X HDMI Cable
  • 1 X US Power Adapter
  • 1 X User Manual
https://www.amazon.com/EASYTONE-And...82817&sr=1-8&keywords=amlogic+s912+android+tv
61eFvDWNz3L._SL1001_.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back