Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wind River

Elizabeth Olsen and Jeremy Renner deliver. Also Bernthal brings the intensity in his role as well.

Good performaces by all. Harsh portrayal of life on the reservation. Crime drama in the vein of Hell or High Water and No Country for Old Men. Some solid gunfights, good characters and good cinematography. Not a feel good movie for sure.

8/10

Epic revenge ending.

the foreigner
9/10
awesome plot and a bit complicated
good action without being cheesey
lots of smart stuff happening

What exactly about Liam's performance in Phantom Menace did you think was good? I just watched it the other day and his performance was just as dull and wooden as everyone else's was in the movie.

Hayden's acting isn't as bad as everyone likes to say it is. The bigger problem is the awful dialogue he got saddled with. Any actor would have failed at reading lines like 'I hate sand, it's coarse and grainy and gets everywhere. Not like this place, so soft.....and smooth.' Seriously, name one person that could have delivered that line and not sounded like a complete retard.

Jake Lloyd was much much worse as young Anakin. Every line he said was cringe inducing.

I just felt like Neesan and McGregor both projected "Jedi" personas well in their own way. I was sold on both characters. I didn't feel like Neeson was dull and wooden at all.

Hayden mostly didn't act out the halfway decent lines well either. Although, his performance was much better in Revenge of the Sith than it was in Attack of the Clones.

Last edited:
Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw

Don't just give a title and a rating. Say something about it, doesn't have to be long, just a reason why it was good, bad or in between.

Guideline for the 10-star rating system:

10 - Excellent
9 - Great
8 - Good
7 - Pretty Good
6 - Decent
5 - Average/Fair/Meh
4 - Poor
3 - Bad
2 - Very Bad
1 - Abysmal

Note: Some of your reviews might be copied to the official thread of the subject movie.

Link to previous thread:
http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/132254149/
Kong: Skull Island - 7/10. This movie did not take itself too seriously. It wasn't too long. It wasn't sad. It was a cool, fun, easy watch. There were likeable characters and good action/effects.

The Sound of Music - 7/10. My GF made me watch this. I've never seen it before and didn't know much about it. The first 30-45 minutes were a bit hard to watch but the 2nd half got very interesting. I was pleasantly surprised. And I remembered a song from Family Guy.

The Sound of Music - 7/10. My GF made me watch this. I've never seen it before and didn't know much about it. The first 30-45 minutes were a bit hard to watch but the 2nd half got very interesting. I was pleasantly surprised. And I remembered a song from Family Guy.

When Lois and Peter reflect on the fact that they don't remember enough about Meg's life and it flashes back to Lois singing/playing piano at a previous birthday party for Meg...

"You are (incomprehensible mumble) going on (incomprehensible mumble)"

always thought that was funny.

Damn good movie though. Julie Andrews was legit. Christopher Plummer is a legend.

When Lois and Peter reflect on the fact that they don't remember enough about Meg's life and it flashes back to Lois singing/playing piano at a previous birthday party for Meg...

"You are (incomprehensible mumble) going on (incomprehensible mumble)"

always thought that was funny.

Damn good movie though. Julie Andrews was legit. Christopher Plummer is a legend.

It makes me sad Plummer hated the role because it was "awful" and "gooey".

I don't care, though, the concert scene always makes me cry.

Jaws (1975)

JAWS_Movie_poster.jpg

I think I had only ever seen certain scenes from Jaws when I was very young, so I had no memory of this movie before watching it now. It's definitely a good story and decent production for 1975, but I don't understand the people who claim this is Spielberg's best film. I would rank many of Spielberg's films above Jaws.

8/10 - "B"

Last edited:
Madman from 1982 was the last film I watched. Pretty solid if you like low budget 80s slashers. The acting is acceptable, which is all it needs to be for the genre, soundtrack is fantastic, with some good mood, and legit creepy scenes. The FX are kind of crappy, but adds to the charm. If you like 80s horror, highly reccomended. 6.5/10
Madman_1982.jpg

The Finest Hours (2016)

220px-The_Finest_Hours_poster.jpg

This was a solid flick with a great story about some seriously ballsy heroism. What a shame that this movie bombed at the box office.

9/10 - "A"

The traveller 5/10

Had Val Kilmer in it

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Brawl-in-Cell-Block-99-UK-Poster.jpg

I can't recall if this was reviewed in here, but here's mine anyway:

Like this if you've seen S. Craig Zahler's debut Bone Tomahawk.

This is his follow-up, and yes, it's a worthy successor.

The film is anchored by a brilliant and surprising turn from comedy Lurch Vince Vaughn. His shaven head, along with his 6"5 frame, lend itself well to the intimidating hard ass with a conscience character, that could well set him on a great new direction in his career.

Like Zahler's previous film, the dialogue is very pleasing to the ear, the pace is deliberate and is, of course, brutally violent. The action choreography is surprisingly stylized - blending boxing with Wing-chun, with the x-rated violence you got from Bone Tomahawk.

It's a really good film, but for my taste, it was a little too bleak - for me it was an exercise in degradation and cruelty.

I also felt at times that the director was a poor man's Tarantino; with his snappy dialogue from pretty much every character, brutal violence, pulp theme and use of soundtrack.

But there is always room for directors that can evoke Tarantino films.

I eagerly await Zahler's next film

4 'funny sounds' out of 5

Please listen

7 - The Commuter, honestly this movie isn't a 7 but I'm a fan of Neeson kicking ass and getting into the most random scenarios. Non fans would probably go 5 at highest, you already know what to expect.

Moon (2009)

Moon_%282008%29_film_poster.jpg

This movie was fairly well done, but the implications are pretty depressing. The preview tipped me off on a major plot point, and I was able to figure it out sooner than I should have as a result. I would recommend skipping the preview and just watching the movie.

Also, kind of a nitpick, but there was one plot hole...

How the hell does Gerty move a new "employee" up from the lower level to revive them? That was not clear at all.

Also...

There is no fucking way a human being survives a three day trip in space in a tiny capsule meant for canisters of fuel.

8/10 - "B"

Last edited:
West Side Story 1 out of 10

I had no idea this was a musical. I sat around and watched it for about 10 minutes and they were all walking around and snapping their fingers in a less than manly way. I thought to myself "Oh no, this is a musical."

Possession (1981) 10/10

Most intense movie experience ive ever had. Its now two weeks since I watched it and it still invades my thoughts.

possession_03.jpg

What exactly about Liam's performance in Phantom Menace did you think was good? I just watched it the other day and his performance was just as dull and wooden as everyone else's was in the movie.

Its Liam nessons though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back