Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alien: Covenant

Went in with an open mind. I'm firmly on team "Prometheus", and thought it was a nice change in direction for a tired franchise. Not perfect, but still one of the better sci-fi flicks of the past while.

I really had no idea of the connection to that universe this movie had, as I stayed away from spoilers for the most part, and went in blind. I fucking HATED the first 40 minutes or so of this movie. Felt like the tired, cliche horror flick I was dreading they'd go back to, after the mixed reactions "Prometheus" received. While on a mission to colonize a planet a bagillion light years away, when they hear a transmission from a much closer planet, so they just scrap their initial mission they likely planned out for years, to chase down the random transmission. Yup. We're in stupidville already. They get to the planet, and some of crew gets infected by some strange spores, and of course aliens start bursting out, and it's a standard Alien movie. Oh', but they changed where the aliens burst out from. "Back bursters" now. Wow. Real original. Oh', and what pops out is a pink, not scary at all, something-or-other-morph, that bounces around everywhere, while biting people.

At that point, I figured, "Welp, this is the stupid shit the 'true' Alien fans wanted. Just some dumb monster movie we've seen a billion times". Ahhh, but then David saves the movie, it becomes a true sequel to "Prometheus", and gives the audience something more to chew on, rather than just some more aliens in the dark. Now, it's not all great, as the pedestrian philosophy is laid on a little thick, but it was a nice change of pace from the same old shit, and breathed life into a new, memorable villain, and continued to take the franchise down the fresh(but admittedly polarizing) path it laid out with "Prometheus".

Overall, it was far from perfect, and a step down from Prometheus, but I liked it. It was a good balancing act, even if the horror elements were a little lame, and the philosophical elements were a little heavy handed. I felt it all came together quite nicely in the end.

7/10

The Shape of Water.
Tremendous evocation of the 50s, a film of love, duty and prejudice. 9/10.

28 Weeks Later (2007)

Twenty_eight_weeks_later.jpg

It is decent as far as Zombie horror flicks go.

7/10 - "C+"

28 Weeks Later (2007)

Twenty_eight_weeks_later.jpg

It is decent as far as Zombie horror flicks go.

7/10 - "C+"
the opening sequence with the survivors in the house when they get attacked by infected is one of the goat-scenes when it comes to zombie movies imo.
I wish the entire movie was like that, I couldn't stand the 2 kids and was hoping for them to die the entire movie.

overall decent movie though, wish they would continue the 28 franchise at some point

Wind River- Solid 8/10

I really enjoyed the scenery, and Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen did a great job of selling their parts.

The Post

This was such a painstakingly, boring ass movie. I dozed off multiple times in the theater.
Putting upbeat music in the background of a scene where boring shit is happening does NOT make the scene better. No song or orchestra is going to get me excited about watching scenes of paper printing.

4/10

Pacific rim uprising.

lazy writing, bad directing, bad CGI, Bad action, Bad story, horrible comedy. would rather watch transformers than this shit. I really liked one too

1/10 I rated this purely on there are no redeemable qualities about this film. Sure it has more money than a Bfilm but its just as bad

the opening sequence with the survivors in the house when they get attacked by infected is one of the goat-scenes when it comes to zombie movies imo.
I wish the entire movie was like that, I couldn't stand the 2 kids and was hoping for them to die the entire movie.

overall decent movie though, wish they would continue the 28 franchise at some point

You couldn’t stand this girl?

imogen-poots.jpg

/fap

The Ritual 7.5/10

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Finsertcoin%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F02%2Fthe-ritual3.jpg

Finally got to seeing this and I gotta say, this is what Dreamcatcher shouldve been like!

4 guys go on a hike to say goodbye to an old friend when they are hunted and haunted by entity in the woods.

Simple. Decent acting. Great atmosphere. I really enjoyed this and I wonder if 7.5 is too low. Ill likely want to watch this again soon.

This is what horror is supposed to be without stupid comedy inserts. It takes itself seriously like a motherfucker and never deviates from its goal: horror. The actors interact in a believable way and their motives are clear. How they end up where they do is a bit stock, but ill allow it. After seeing complicated plots, its refreshing to have a basic premise.

The creature/god/animal is...damn, I dont know if I liked it as much as everyone else. Its an abomination, frankly. One thing I can say is that none of you have seen it before in any other movie. Oh, and yes you do see it, unlike in Blair Witch (though I didnt mind that), and you even get a good shot of it in front of fire.

This is a MUST for horror fans that either hated or loved Dreamcatcher or Blair Witch.

Atomic Blonde:
Fight scenes were garbage. Just completely unrealistic. She throws down with multiple dudes who keep coming like the freaking terminator.

Dude gets gut shot, still body slamming her, running around etc.

Other guy gets stabbed multiple times, eye gouged out, stabbed in the throat, chases car, jumps on hood then gets double tapped, get back up and finally gets run over.

Not to mention her manhandling a bunch of huge aupposedly trained guys.

Only redeeming part is Theron is nude a ton.

6/10.

Unsane (2018) - 7.5/10

A really intense thriller with some excellent acting, really dug it.

Unsane (2018) - 7.5/10

A really intense thriller with some excellent acting, really dug it.

Yeah man- I liked it. It was certainly intense and creepy. And it has lingered with me a bit. It went to a really darker place than I was expecting it to go, even from the unsettling trailer.

I'd go 7/10.

Claire Foy was terrific. I had heard she's great on The Crown but really never saw much of her work. I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for her upcoming films. She was utterly convincing.

I think my favorite part of the film was when

She verbally eviscerates Josh Leonard's character in the padded cell. I was like
giphy.gif

It Comes at Night

8.5/10

Really tense movie that leaves a lot of things up in the air which I love. The atmosphere in the film is great. Highly recommended

Don Jon was pretty good. 6.5/10 territory. I thought that there were parts that were hilarious and well done but that there were other elements that just fell flat. For a directorial first effort, JGL certainly did a solid job. Not easy to pull off being the writer, actor, and director of a film. I think that the stuff at the end seemed more than a bit heavyhanded. Julianne Moore subplot sort of came out of nowhere and though it was important as an impetus to the main character's growth, it did not feel like the most organic element. Still, entertaining film. I thought Tony Danza stole every scene he was in.

Dredd was a solid 7/10. It was a good, gritty action film with strong work from Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby. Urban was pretty damn legit as the title character. Cool actor. I think that there was not much to it at the end of the day, but it felt like The Raid in terms of the entire plot being centered in one structure and seeing the outnumbered leads deal with a bunch of hostiles. Entertaining throughout.

The Commuter
Typical Neeson film really, but I'm a sucker for Neeson films for the most part. Was alright, definitely didn't feel like a wasted 1.5hrs but not amazing.
6/10

Spider-Man Homecoming.

5.5/10.

Almost all the meh. It was kind of funny. About 45 minutes too long. I'm a big Spider-Man fan but I just did not give a shit about this movie.

and he just happens to be dating the Vulture's daughter? get the fuck outta here.

The babysitter (Netflix)

Coming of age gorey comedy slasher flick. Campy as fuck but for some reason I kinda enjoyed it.

(full disclosure: i was hungover to the verge of suicide and got super stoned off of a green hornet and too much Herer vape cartridge)

6.5/11

Paterno (2018)

Paterno.png

This movie was so disturbing I almost shut it off a couple times. But, if I am scoring it based on production value, performances, and how well it told the story it ranks well.

8/10 - "B +"

Sloan - A Washington D.C. lobbyist grows a conscience as she joins a firm pushing for gun restrictions.
Molly's Game - A former athlete stumbles into the world of underground poker and starts hosting the biggest games in town catering to Hollywood celebrities, professional athletes, Wall Street executives and the ultra wealthy. Based on a true story.

Two Jessica Chastain movies.

Both were pretty good, but neither one stood out.
I used to like Chastain, but her stoic woman of infinite intelligence and foresight schtick is played the fuck out. She has no range. I don't think she's going to be around much longer.

Last edited:
Pit Stop (1969) - Early movie from the careers of Ellen Burstyn and Sid Haig. They both showed signs of quality acting and/or charisma that would become evident in years to come, but the movie was pretty forgettable. 5.0 / 10.

Marquis (1989) - Feature length puppet show about the Marquis de Sade. It was actually pretty funny. 6.5 / 10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back