Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just gonna do it with Simpson's quotes.......

American Ultra: 6/10

338837.jpg

Ready Player One: 7/10

6okvG4PwSlNkp8jZ8NOA5YvL0BM=.gif

Avengers: Infinity War: 8/10

33871687_10102648564317976_9174495274666557440_n.jpg

Solo: 5/10

33754901_10155749915394842_755454064120037376_n.jpg

Last edited:
Captain America: Civil War

Put this one off for a while, due to being a little Marvel'd out. Skipped "Avengers 2", so a few things were lost on me, but nothing that detracted from the experience too much.

All in all, another solid Marvel outing. These guys just know how to make an entertaining superhero flick. The formula is a little a stale, but tried and true. I really don't have many complaints, other then some nitpicky shit that's not worth sweating over too much, like War Machine suffering grave injuries after falling out of the sky, but being able to shrug off literally anything else you can think of.

Story was fine, action was great as usual. Fun stuff. The at the time "newer" characters really stole the show. Black Panther, Ant-Man, and even Spider-Man(who I usually can't stand) stood out far more the rest, and made every sequence with them memorable.

Good shit.

8/10

It Follows
1/10

Seriously absolute shit movie. Nothing in it qualified as horror or even suspense.

Crappy acting, crappy characters and stupid choices across the board. Waste of an hour and a half of my life. Glad it was only on Netflix.

First Reformed - an eerie suspenseful movie from beginning to end. You see it building up to something through the whole thing, making small nuances more stressful. It's even more suspenseful knowing the director wrote taxi driver, and what that developed into. Also a really impressive performance from Ethan Hawk. 8.5/10

Upgrade - very run of the mill setup and develops into a fucking wild action flick. Great camera work, gory deaths, and cool action. The dumb technology show off in the beginning grows on you, especially after the introduction to the main character's "upgrade". I'm showing it to a few people when it get released on vod. 8/10

First Reformed - an eerie suspenseful movie from beginning to end. You see it building up to something through the whole thing, making small nuances more stressful. It's even more suspenseful knowing the director wrote taxi driver, and what that developed into. Also a really impressive performance from Ethan Hawk. 8.5/10

Upgrade - very run of the mill setup and develops into a fucking wild action flick. Great camera work, gory deaths, and cool action. The dumb technology show off in the beginning grows on you, especially after the introduction to the main character's "upgrade". I'm showing it to a few people when it get released on vod. 8/10

Awesome movie.

Which one?

Lol. Sorry. Upgrade. I thought it was great and The American Tom Hardy never left much of an impression for me but in this movie he was epic. Hope it’s his breakthrough. It should be.

It’s also probably going to make Venom look comparatively poor as it will certainly invite comparisons what with the Tom Hardy lookalike in Logan Marshall Green and the expertly done interaction between him and the entity that he must coexist with.

First Reformed is one of three currently in my queue in terms of use for MoviePass. That, hotel Artemis and hereditary though a poster I respect said it was absolutely awful.

But hell I’ll probably just see the Avengers one more time before any of them.

First Reformed looks great though and is at a small theater within walking distance of my place.

Hawke really is a solid actor. Has been for a long time.

Lol. Sorry. Upgrade. I thought it was great and The American Tom Hardy never left much of an impression for me but in this movie he was epic. Hope it’s his breakthrough. It should be.

It’s also probably going to make Venom look comparatively poor as it will certainly invite comparisons what with the Tom Hardy lookalike in Logan Marshall Green and the expertly done interaction between him and the entity that he must coexist with.

First Reformed is one of three currently in my queue in terms of use for MoviePass. That, hotel Artemis and hereditary though a poster I respect said it was absolutely awful.

But hell I’ll probably just see the Avengers one more time before any of them.

First Reformed looks great though and is at a small theater within walking distance of my place.

Hawke really is a solid actor. Has been for a long time.
Discount Tom Hardy did a good job for a discounted Tom Hardy. That movie really kicked ass the more I think about it. I wish movie pass allowed you to see the same movie multiple times again. But I get it, I bet other people were leeching off each other's movie pass accounts.

A Quiet Place (2018)

A_Quiet_Place_film_poster.png

This was a solid thriller and an original concept (which is less common these days). Really enjoyed it but had a couple complaints:

1. I felt like the ending was a little incomplete. They didn't really need to show us more but showing us a little more might have given us a better sense of closure.

2. I find it hard to believe that most of humanity had to be wiped out before someone figured out the weakness of these life forms. The answer was really staring them right in the face all along.

8/10 - "B"

Gerald's Game - 9.5 out of 10. I loved the book. The movie does a great job of portraying the book and it's message. I also thought the pacing of it was spectacular. I think it was near 2 hours long and it mostly takes place in one room but it really doesn't drag at all.

Not a ten because it's missing a "holy fucking shit" factor that movies like Goodfellas, Evil Dead 2 and Basket Case have. It's real close though. Been raving about it since I saw it.

Gerald's Game - 9.5 out of 10. I loved the book. The movie does a great job of portraying the book and it's message. I also thought the pacing of it was spectacular. I think it was near 2 hours long and it mostly takes place in one room but it really doesn't drag at all.

Not a ten because it's missing a "holy fucking shit" factor that movies like Goodfellas, Evil Dead 2 and Basket Case have. It's real close though. Been raving about it since I saw it.

Amped to watch it. I loved the book as well and I've heard many good things about the adaptation and Gugino's performance. That book definitely is a great one in terms of shit you probably shouldn't read late at night (and which I invariably did). King is legit.

I, Tonya (2017)

I%2C_Tonya_%282017_film%29.png

This was a good production with good performances, but I couldn't enjoy it because of the story. It was horribly depressing and painful to watch.

4/10 - "D"

The Strangers.

Bit of a weird movie tbh. Typical horror movie with some pretty decent pop up scares. The killers looked pretty good with the masks....

But the ending was pretty flat tbh. Killers stab the victims and than it just kinda ends........

The story was pretty weak as the directors never bothered to explain why we should care about the main characters or what the whole deal with the killers was about.

All in all I give it a 5. Relatively forgettable

Hotel Artemis - A movie over burdened with too many large characters that don't do much. It also attempts to have this flashy, dark build up when it never amounts to anything. I would only watch it again if someone turned it on TV and it wasn't my house. 4/10

Any chance we can get this thread stickied @Dragonlordxxxxx?

Anyways...

Thor: Ragnarok

This was another solid marvel outing. I'm a bit lost in the order of all of these movies, and have missed a few here and there, so there were a few things I had to fill in the blanks for, but it was no big deal. Plot is fine, albeit a little lazy. At least the setup of The Goddess Of Death coming back to take over Asgard.

Okay, so Odin's death was one of the most hilariously anticlimactic moments ever put to film. You find out he's just chillin' on Earth, and Loki and Thor go to visit him and he warns them of their sister coming back to wreak havoc, and then says he's going to die. Then he just dies. Like he just chooses to do so. It was like:

"Okay, I'm gonna die now. Bye."

And then he just evaporates. LOL

After that, and "The Goddess of Death" comes back from the hell she was banished to, things pick up nicely, with most of the movie focusing on Thor's imprisonment and efforts to escape this fucked up planet called Sakar, that is run by none other than Jeff Goldblum, who I thought really stole the show as a silly egomaniacal leader of the planet. Spot on casting. Speaking of spot on casting, Cate Blanchett knocked it out of the park as well. You could tell she was having a lot of fun chewing the scenery, and every scene with her is great, and I'd argue that there should've been even more. The movie is pretty lengthy, and she really isn't in it all that much, with most of running time focused on Sakar.

The action is great, the plot is fine(albeit lazy at times), and it was a return to form in the visual department as well, after the abysmal brown and grey Thor 2. This was colorful and a feast for the eyes at all time. My only real complaint is that I felt it was a little too humorous. It felt a lot like GOTG in tone, and it does become a little much after a while, simply because I don't think it jives that well with the Thor universe. That said, it's no big deal. The mile a minute jokes and gags were a little off putting at first, but once you adjust, it still works, as it's all well handled and never ventures into cringe territory.

All in all, good fun.

8/10

Hereditary

Billed as a "slow burn" type of horror movie, this movie delivered. I'm not a fan of jump scares and I felt like this director opted not to do that so much, but instead put things in scenes and let your eyes adjust to it. This is incredibly effective in the sense that you kind of have to rub your eyes and think to yourself, "did I just see what I thought I saw?" One scene in particular people either saw it immediately, or it took their eyes a minute and once they did it was like, "oh crap!" You let the scene dictate the scare, not the abrupt music and that's brilliant filmmaking for sure.

Acting was top notch. Not much more I can say about that. There are scenes that are unsettling more than scary, and that had in part to do with the acting in this movie. Great job.

I wouldn't say the plot is predictable at all. Like I knew the direction they were going to take it, but there were some scenes that I needed to pay attention to in order to fully grasp the whole story. A second viewing will help that. I think the best/worst part about this movie is that this poor family are just puppets on a string and there is no hope for them...just flat out despair. Like there is zero hope for them.

I initially gave this movie a 7/10, but it really stuck with me. I watched it Saturday and I'm still thinking about it. Watching breakdown videos and learning new aspects of this movie all the time. It's extremely layered.

With that being said, it's a 8 or 8.5/10 for me.

American Animals - I love the way this was shot. A real life story told by the people who lived it. The characters were great, and the build up to the heist in the movie was pretty decent. It had some suspenseful scenes and decent lightheartedness through it's characters. I especially enjoyed the guy Evan Peters portrayed. He was a good laugh for a kind-of-shitty-person - 7.5

Tag - It was more fun than funny. I'm okay with that. I enjoyed it all the way through, though it was farfetched even though based on a real group of friends. Good cast, humorous scenarios, and worthwhile payoff. Watch this with friends and drink. Also the soundtrack was ill, son. Really, it was pretty great. All 90s hiphop, and the good shit - 7.0

Last edited by a moderator:
Mother

Eh, a swing and a miss by Aronofsky. The biggest problem with the movie is that it thinks it's smarter than it is. That might just be me though, and perhaps the intent wasn't meant to be clever in any way, and just be an unconventional take on a host of Bible stories. It's hard to separate the director from the film for me, and Aronofsky isn't one for being so shallow. I expect a little more depth and ambiguity from him, but maybe he didn't intend to play with the audiences' minds. I don't know. I guess I was expecting something more "artsy" and ambiguous, and instead got a fairly standard retelling of Biblical tales. So, perhaps the fault is on me for thinking too hard about it.

For what it is, it's okay. Nothing mind blowing, but it will hold your attention. I gotta say that Jennifer Lawrence gave a particularly weak performance though. She turns it on in the end and almost redeems herself, but for the most part, she's just so wooden, and some of line delivery is downright cringe worthy. In some scenes, I couldn't help but think "That's the take you stuck with?". It didn't help that she was surrounded by others who were acting their asses off. Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer, Javier Bardem, etc, are all in top form, and really outshine her at every turn. When the weakest actor of the bunch is the main focus of the movie, that's a problem.

I will say, the movie excels as one big dream sequence. I never really thought about it until I saw some review that pointed it out, but it really does capture how a dream plays out, with all it's random escalation in events, and no sense of time. When I looked at it that way, it bumped my impression of it up a bit. It works well, if you simply look at it as a dream realized on film.

All in all, it won't blow your socks off, but if you're up for some bible tales being turned on their head, and being told in an unconventional manner, it's worth a look.

7/10

Guardians of The Galaxy: Vol 2

It's more of the same, and excels more in some areas, and falls flat in others, in comparison to the first flick. One thing that is undeniable is just how amazing the movie looks. The level of visual creativity on display is quite something. No two set pieces look the same, and it's one big eyegasm the entire way through. It really is a full on assault to senses, and it's spectacular. Can't praise the movie's visuals enough. The action that accompanies the visuals is top notch as well.

The plot is serviceable. Nothing more, nothing less. The stakes are high, and you find out more about Star-Lord's origins...some guy wants to kill the world...yada, yada. Fairly typical for Marvel. Safe stuff. Only problem I had with it, is that they kind of shoehorned in this other side plot with a different faction chasing down the GOTG, that I imagine are going to play a bigger role in the franchise going forward. In this film though, they didn't feel like they belonged, and their motivation for going after the GOTG was pretty weak. They served more as a distraction, than anything. I'm getting a little tired of the unnecessarily bloated length of these movies, and cutting down on the bullshit could tighten some of these movies up. It's like Marvel movies have an obligation to be 2+ hours at this point.

Where the movie failed for me, was in the humor. The jokes just fall flat here. Drax is the only character in the movie that consistently got some chuckles out of me, and the rest of the humor just seemed really forced and formulaic. Not only were the jokes not that funny(the "Tazerface" joke for instance), they started to fall into a pattern, almost like a sitcom, where you could tell they were coming. Serious speech, awkward pause, here comes the gag. I was waiting for the laugh tack to kick in after a while. The comedy didn't feel organic, and more like they were just going through the motions and hitting beats. On top of that, you've got the constant cheap gag that is Groot Jr. Whatever he does is funny, because he's so cute. Get it?

At the end of the day though, it's still a pretty fun ride. Like a roller-coaster you've ridden a thousand time before. Still fun, but something is missing, and you're starting to get the itch for something new.

7.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back