Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a bit of a problem because the author of the short story is more of the determinism camp, while the screenwriter likes to retain a sense of free will and change.

Now if you removed the time-travel aspect and regarded this film as a woman who was recounting her story, and that most of it's told through flashback (like THE USUAL SUSPECTS), it's a bit easier to follow. Illustrating the philosophy of regret -- kind of like the question, "If you knew you were going to get your heart broken, would you fall in love in the first place?" That's that fantasy, depicted in the film by the time-travel; we've all pondered what our lives could be if we had a time-machine to correct our mistakes.

However, the reality is, in this hypothetical scenario, we already fell in love and our heart was already broken. This always happened.

The real question becomes, "Will we cherish our memories, or be haunted by them?"

(Literally, the author wanted to posit the question, "If you knew your child was going to die, would you still go forward with having it?")

The hard part is getting over the paradox, but it's not a paradox when you consider there are no alternatives. What happened always happened, and that's why she has a memory of it before it happened. It's how the heptapods know about our assistance 3000 years prior to the event.

It feels weird because we're going through it as it's happening, and thus we figure there must be some option for change but there isn't. (Which makes it a doubly weird reaction, considering people should also realize a movie goes the way it does because that's the way it's written.) That's just the illusion to create tension. The language opened her perception, changing it from our familiar "arrow of time" concept to one that's more like a prism. Once she understood that, the totality of her understanding throughout her lifetime was available to her, including the future mastering of the hepta-language and the private phone number to Gen Chang. It thus became a matter of acculturating herself to her newfound perception, which did not go smoothly.

Fair enough.

Yeah, very interesting, weird movie. I think I watched late at night and awhile ago so would have a difficult time trying to discuss it in detail now, but it was quite good.

I kept thinking Michael Shannon's character was going to screw Gyllenhal's over, but it seemed in the end he didn't, Jake was just too slow on the draw. Quite a tragedy though.

It had a David Lynch vibe to it.

My favorite Lynch film is Lost Highway. RIP Robert Blake.

LR9gmNh9u8MRG.gif

LR9gmNh9u8MRG.gif

My favorite two Lynch films, in a runaway, are The Elephant Man and The Straight Story, also easily the most un-David-Lynch-like of all his films.

LR9gmNh9u8MRG.gif

Mine was Surveillance, and then The Lost Highway. I was so creeped out by Blake though. That whole videotaping them while they slept. Ugh. And then when he sees them at the party. Ugh, chills. Unfortunately it was almost too confusing. After seeing it about 5 times, I'm not sure I still understood it fully. Maybe I need to watch it again.

Saw two of these recently hyped up movies.

Get out. Underwhelming to say the least. The build up of suspense was fairly enthralling but the resolution was very basic and predictable. There weren't any moments where you could be genuinely surprised or any twist powerful enough to make this stand out in the way it has in the media. 4 / 10.

Baby driver. This was just a pastiche of so many other movies I can't even mention all of them. Plot was very cookie cutter like and all over the place at the end and except for a few laughs it's a movie I've seen a hundred times much better made. Annoying from beginning to end. 3/10

I'm starting to wish you could find sepatated movie reviews for the states and for the rest of the world.

Last edited:
Saw Brigsby Bear today and it's nothing special. It's has its funny moments and if you like Kyle Mooney, then you'll be happy.

The trailers show reviews that say that it's nothing like they've seen before. It's like A LOT of movies I've seen, but with a slight twist

6.5/10
I still thought it had it's good moments.

If you don't know what it is

Approaching The Unknown

Oh' sweet Jesus, this movie was a pretentious bore. One of the most uneventful movies I've ever seen in my life. They took what should've been a ten minute short story, and stretched it out to 90 minutes. You want to know what happens in this movie? Okay, I'll tell you. A scientist(Marc Strong) passionately wants to go to Mars, because he made some device that can extract water from dirt, and thinks he can use it on Mars. He gets in a space ship, and on his way to Mars, he struggles with his device that can make water. Spoiler BIG SPOILER...

He lands on Mars. The end.

What amazes me about this flick, is the talent involved. Apart from the script, it's genuinely well made. It looks and sounds great, and the central performance by Marc Strong, is good. It just can't hide how pointless it all is. This isn't some deep flick, that's hard to understand. What you see is what you get, and what you get is next to nothing.

3/10

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Lots of good humour, mostly from Dave Bautista.

A bit too much emotional moments IMO. Like they were really hitting the audience over the head with the fact that Gamora and Nebula are sisters and that's supposed to mean something, or the relationship between children and their parents. The movie also had way too long of a denouement. Fifteen minutes after the climax the movie was still going it seemed.

7.5/10

The Room

10/10. Life-changing film. I can see myself rewatching it easily 20+ times.

HellBoy 1
v1.bTsxMTE2NzQwNztqOzE3NDk5OzEyMDA7ODAwOzEyMDA

Is this a kids movie? Seriously, I want to know. Cuz the cheese is through the god damn roof with this one. The one liners...my god...
(picks up ringing pay phone) ITS FOR YOU.
(snags tongue) SECOND DATE, NO TONGUE.
and saying "Crap" every time he messes up instead of SHIT.

That said, the blood, sweat, n tears that were put into the sets, make up, and animatronics is well worth it. Hellboy looks fantastic, along with Abe, and the monsters. The old assassins eyes are looking fake as fuck these days, tho. The fight scenes are damn well done too.

If were tallying up the score here, id say there is more good than bad here, making up a 6.5/10 score.

I know part 2 is better. Ive seen both of these, just not in years. I know there is a poster on here that has a hard on for this guy..

Mine was Surveillance, and then The Lost Highway. I was so creeped out by Blake though. That whole videotaping them while they slept. Ugh. And then when he sees them at the party. Ugh, chills. Unfortunately it was almost too confusing. After seeing it about 5 times, I'm not sure I still understood it fully. Maybe I need to watch it again.

One of the all-time creepiest characters in film history.

Dark City 6/10

large_5EzPQs7yDboIVZJa7Feaw7SioZa.jpg

Unique story thats nicely put together for the 90s. I remember first seeing this and thinking it was better that I had anticipated. Visiting it again, I wasnt as floored, but now that I think about it, I knew or more to the point, remembered so many details in this. Ive seen this only once, I believe, which means there is a lot of unforgettable shit in this.

Story is about a man that doesnt sleep at 12am like the rest of the population in the city. He finds himself wandering the streets along side creepy bald men with super mind powers. He quickly discovers he too has these powers. Dr. Kiefer Sutherland is here and though he may have all the answers, hes constantly running out of breath while saying his lines.

Movie is...dark. Always dark and though thats the idea, it brings the joy factor down. Black, grey, white, and brown are dominant here, so its not dazzling to the eye. The good parts are that is nicely acted, has a great score, and I enjoyed the shit out of the ending.

Free Fire 7/10 had its moments wasn't expecting much but was decent.

the good, the bad, and the ugly.

10/10. had to take 1 point away for jizzing in my trousers from watching it

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Lots of good humour, mostly from Dave Bautista.

A bit too much emotional moments IMO. Like they were really hitting the audience over the head with the fact that Gamora and Nebula are sisters and that's supposed to mean something, or the relationship between children and their parents. The movie also had way too long of a denouement. Fifteen minutes after the climax the movie was still going it seemed.

7.5/10

i completely agree, and..pending a rewatch...it doesnt hold a candle to the first one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back