Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE SISTERS BROTHERS

It's a French comedy, which means there are no laughs, nor a real ending, and like with all French comedies it's all very existential, meaningless, and yeah there's a dream sequence that you're like ... what? American actors that usually would be worth the price of admission, it's a curious tale of two hard-bitten brothers on a robber baron's mission for some fanciful somesuch. John C Reilly's as affable as he usually is. Jake Gyllenhaal and Joaquin Phoenix are given perhaps a little too much rope. If it had just a little bit better style, there would certainly be a solid 88 minutes somewhere inside this two hour monstrosity.

A Simple Favour - 6.5/10.

Was fun, light hearted, but at the same time just too silly to be a 7.5 or 8/10.

A Star Is Born (2018) - 8/10

Very well done emotional drama that did a good job depicting the music industry. Awesome cast too, was great seeing Dice Clay killing it on the big screen, and Bradley Cooper was the best I’ve ever seen him.

Mandy (2018) - 6.5/10

Awesome cinematography and excellent gore effects, but I could have done without the drawn out dialogue.

The Endless

Awesome flick, that I can't really talk about without spoiling anything, and this movie is one you want to go into blind. The basic premise revolves around two guys who left some Alien death cult, who decide to go back and catch up with their old cultist people, as kind of a therapeutic exercise to bring some closure for one of guys who wasn't as on board with leaving as the other guy was. Everything from there on out is best left unsaid.

Check this shit out. One of the best movies I've seen in a while.

10/10

Hold The Dark

I want to believe there's something beneath the surface here, but I can't see it, and its not a flick I care to see again, so I doubt I'll explore it much more than this initial viewing. Its got some moments, and it isn't unwatchable, but it doesn't really add up to a whole hell of a lot. Not much more to say about it really. It felt kind of "artsy" for artsy sake, and didn't feel as deep as perhaps it wanted to be, and it has an extremely frustrating ending that just felt like bullshit. Again, "artsy" for artsy sake. Disappointing, coming from the guy would made "Blue Ruin" and "The Green Room".

5/10

Venom - 6/10

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. The banter between Eddie and Venom was good, and Tom Hardy's performance was entertaining. The last 20 minutes or so were awful though, like really really awful.

Mandy - 8.5/10

Somewhat of a slow burn in the beginning, but I feel the payoffs were worth the slow start. The movie looks incredible visually, and I loved the scenes of ultraviolence. Plus, seeing Nic Cage go full Cage mode was awesome.

[Mod Edit] Link to new thread:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/rate-and-discuss-the-last-movie-you-saw-v-16.3927057/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back