Rate my Bag Round

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Only basics and mostly straights with very few hooks and uppercuts. Can you give me some feedback what I do okay and what I do bad so I can work on it?
Video starts at 19th second. Sorry for the very poor quality.

Good straight right soo that be say you should be counter puncher. See Floyd Mayweather jr. They will think you are weak and go on you then you step back they miss then you kill them with counter punch

First of all, you're looking A LOT better than the last vid. Good job. Sitting down really well on those straights with a strong stance, and your right hand looks like it got decent pop actually.

What you gotta do 1) tuck that chin. It's way up there. 2) keep your guard more active and don't be too lazy with your jab in close range.

Your'e still a little front foot heavy, and your hook and lateral movement still needs work. Head movement is hard to gauge because you're not working it, but having an active guard and thinking about an opponent actually being there in front of you would help. You look vulnerable for counters with your chin up, guard down, head forward and on the centerline and being stationary. At this moment though, you can do 1 and 2 right away, the rest will come over time, so take it easy. You're getting better!

Work on each bit individually (like you're doing in this video focusing on the right straights) and concentrate, and then put it together as you improve.

Good straight right soo that be say you should be counter puncher. See Floyd Mayweather jr. They will think you are weak and go on you then you step back they miss then you kill them with counter punch

Not sure if trolling or not lol :)

First of all, you're looking A LOT better than the last vid. Good job. Sitting down really well on those straights with a strong stance, and your right hand looks like it got decent pop actually.

What you gotta do 1) tuck that chin. It's way up there. 2) keep your guard more active and don't be too lazy with your jab in close range.

Your'e still a little front foot heavy, and your hook and lateral movement still needs work. Head movement is hard to gauge because you're not working it, but having an active guard and thinking about an opponent actually being there in front of you would help. You look vulnerable for counters with your chin up, guard down, head forward and on the centerline and being stationary. At this moment though, you can do 1 and 2 right away, the rest will come over time, so take it easy. You're getting better!

Work on each bit individually (like you're doing in this video focusing on the right straights) and concentrate, and then put it together as you improve.

We have worked a lot on that right.

Notes taken regarding the chin, the guard and the jab.

Yep still front foot heavy, but the coach wants me to make me push more forward so he is okay with the current stance, although he corrects me always when going back to pull the body backwards.
Not moving the head at all right now and on the video. I did not try to move.

I will definitely try to add lateral movement and head movement. I feel I am very stationary in spars too. Going to take it slowly really. I have been rushing way too much, and just now I am getting the basics with more patient work.

We have worked a lot on that right.

Notes taken regarding the chin, the guard and the jab.

Yep still front foot heavy, but the coach wants me to make me push more forward so he is okay with the current stance, although he corrects me always when going back to pull the body backwards.
Not moving the head at all right now and on the video. I did not try to move.

I will definitely try to add lateral movement and head movement. I feel I am very stationary in spars too. Going to take it slowly really. I have been rushing way too much, and just now I am getting the basics with more patient work.
Yeah coming forward, all the more reason to have a good/active guard and being able to go off center.

Exactly, the better you get, the more you understand that things takes time. Keep up the good work my man.

after you finish your combo you move out relaxed with your chin sky high like you're admiring your poor-ness

I feel like you could be faster. Quick bangs

Last edited:
after you finish your combo you move out relaxed with your chin sky high like you're admiring your poor-news

I feel like you could be faster. Quick bangs

Haha this is more of a me being not too serious on the bag work and tired. This is rly past 4 spar rounds, 2 bag and 2 pad rounds and 1 jump rope round. But I will keep a note to not turn it into a habit. Thanks for noting.

I think I can be faster too, just wanting first to remove bad habits and work on good ones.

For example I can see myself doing 1-1-right uppercut-right hook and not bringing my right to my chin after the uppercut but it is not so obvious due to the poor quality.

Haha this is more of a me being not too serious on the bag work and tired. This is rly past 4 spar rounds, 2 bag and 2 pad rounds and 1 jump rope round. But I will keep a note to not turn it into a habit. Thanks for noting.

I think I can be faster too, just wanting first to remove bad habits and work on good ones.

For example I can see myself doing 1-1-right uppercut-right hook and not bringing my right to my chin after the uppercut but it is not so obvious due to the poor quality.
Its a bigger problem than it sounds. Happened to me as well, did things "slow", then I realized I got into the habit of it, and it look me longer to get out of it in sparring.

Its a bigger problem than it sounds. Happened to me as well, did things "slow", then I realized I got into the habit of it, and it look me longer to get out of it in sparring.
Wow did not know that. Thanks again, man. I really did not think about it and that I can create a habit of being slow.

Wow did not know that. Thanks again, man. I really did not think about it and that I can create a habit of being slow.
Yeah anything really becomes a habit. Something like you corner your partner, and throw a combo, then you back out nicely. Come fight time you'll do the same. Worse is your partner trains with you like that as well because its become the norm, and when you end up in the corner on fight night, you relax a bit after the 4-5th hit thinking the combo finishes, but turns out he's going to continue teeing off still you stop it yourself. That one's a wakeup call.

Yeah anything really becomes a habit. Something like you corner your partner, and throw a combo, then you back out nicely. Come fight time you'll do the same. Worse is your partner trains with you like that as well because its become the norm, and when you end up in the corner on fight night, you relax a bit after the 4-5th hit thinking the combo finishes, but turns out he's going to continue teeing off still you stop it yourself. That one's a wakeup call.
There's a time for drilling fast, but during technical work you want to go slow, especially at the level ilk is at. When he's working specifics on the bag there's no reason to speed it up just for the sake of it, before he can do the technique right.

When you're working your sparring and such it's a good point not getting lackadaisical and getting bad habits in regards to the tempo, but if it's too fast and technique suffers, then it's a poor way to learn new motor patterns. It's much easier to speed things up as you get better, but time and place.

working on nailing your basics man, but do them perfectly. A strong pyramid needs a foundation. Most guys never make it past the foundation stage.

chins really high lazy jabs and very high posture but i think thats a european style when i was coaching in ireland i noticed alot of guys stand very tall

You look extremely hittable. I'm guessing you don't have heaps of experience, so that's fine. Ask your coach about incorporating some head movement or pivots etc. into your pad work, and then practice that on the bag.

Turning your upper body more into punches will help naturally move your head off center. Right now it's just a stationary target.

working on nailing your basics man, but do them perfectly. A strong pyramid needs a foundation. Most guys never make it past the foundation stage.

Please go in details. I care about good critique and really fixing the basics. I ve had way too much bad coaching.

chins really high lazy jabs and very high posture but i think thats a european style when i was coaching in ireland i noticed alot of guys stand very tall

What do you mean with lazy jabs? I am often tapping the bag to control its movement. I know it is not good to do so but ... I hope it is that one. If not please explain it will be appreciated.

Your footwork is horrific. I'm not sure what you're trying to do other than teeter around like a cartoon character. When you throw a jab, step meaningfully not a little jinky step you're doing non stop. Little to no core in any of the hooks/uppercuts you threw. I hope you're not planning on fighting anytime soon because you need some serious training. You don't seem to telegraph your jab compared to most new guys which is good, Your straight isn't horrific but other than that you're pitter patter punches don't give us much to go off.

You look extremely hittable. I'm guessing you don't have heaps of experience, so that's fine. Ask your coach about incorporating some head movement or pivots etc. into your pad work, and then practice that on the bag.

Turning your upper body more into punches will help naturally move your head off center. Right now it's just a stationary target.

I agree I am hittable. Although in spars I try my best with distance and as you see I am comfortable going backwards and punch.

Actually yesterday on the pads we worked adding hooks and uppercuts to the range of shots when going backwards. For example 1-1-right uppercut-right hook backwards was a combo we drilled.

But I agree once I am in range I am really hitable. I try to go high guard or slip + pivot out of range or in range. Or side step in the same way almost. Really got to work on more slips. I am trying for now to incorporate them post jabs or post right hands. We do some jab-slip-left uppercut. I do that twice on this video. And some right hand finish slip right hand start I do this twice too.

I think what you mean is to incorporate this to my stance tempo and more often post combos?

I agree on the stance we are tough to stay high. The previous coach wanted us even higher and he was some sports academy PhD with an Olympic medal in boxing.

Your footwork is horrific. I'm not sure what you're trying to do other than teeter around like a cartoon character. When you throw a jab, step meaningfully not a little jinky step you're doing non stop. Little to no core in any of the hooks/uppercuts you threw. I hope you're not planning on fighting anytime soon because you need some serious training. You don't seem to telegraph your jab compared to most new guys which is good, Your straight isn't horrific but other than that you're pitter patter punches don't give us much to go off.
We are boxing man. Small steps little rotation. You load punches on kick boxing. In boxing you punch more with shoulder rotation and using your feet. In fact my steps are very large for boxing.

I can't argue about the left hook. It sucks.

Last edited:
We are boxing man. Small steps little rotation. You load punches on kick boxing. In boxing you punch more with shoulder rotation.

I've been boxing since I was 12 mate I'm 27 now. If you have no core movement in boxing you're never going to have punches as strong as they could be. Small Steps little rotation? You want meaningful steps. the step is the start of the punch from there its the mechanics of the body all acting in unison to deliver the power of the punch. If you're relying on shoulder rotation you're going to have a short career.

Back