Rate my Bag Round

We are boxing man. Small steps little rotation. You load punches on kick boxing. In boxing you punch more with shoulder rotation and using your feet. In fact my steps are very large for boxing.

see Australians turn there hips with every shot they throw thats why they lack speed. speed kills americans are very fastboxers and they dominate the professional scene. but theres a big dif from being fast quick shots and pitter pattering. yes you shouldnt pitter patter every shot but u can arm punch with your rear hand alot you need to do a vid of you hitting the bag as though you are sparring though so could see more

see Australians turn there hips with every shot they throw thats why they lack speed. speed kills americans are very fastboxers and they dominate the professional scene. but theres a big dif from being fast quick shots and pitter pattering. yes you shouldnt pitter patter every shot but u can arm punch with your rear hand alot you need to do a vid of you hitting the bag as though you are sparring though so could see more

That is almost one of the most brain numbingly stupid things I have ever heard. It's got nothing to do with being Australia and it's got nothing to do with being American. You look at the range of motion in Mike Tysons body every time he throws a punch then tell me he's slow and Australian.

@Sunfish you're probably as close to an expert on boxing that I've seen on Sherdog do you have any input you could add?

Last edited:
BTW I am not fighting. I am a 32 years old hobbyist. I enjoy the sport it has an easy access for adults and I want to learn to fight a bit.

Regarding Tyson even he does not load shots. He uses his ducks, bobs and weaves and loading the feet via that movement to add power. And he is really a freak of nature. Comparing me with him is.ridiculous.

If he used the core he would lose balance. He does not lose balance.

BTW I am not fighting. I am a 32 years old hobbyist. I enjoy the sport it has an easy access for adults and I want to learn to fight a bit.

Regarding Tyson even he does not load shots. He uses his ducks, bobs and weaves and loading the feet via that movement to add power. And he is really a freak of nature. Comparing me with him is.ridiculous.

I'm not comparing him to you, in fact in that comment I'm not even addressing you. I'm addressing what Tekkenfan said.
I'm not even talking about loading shots. I'm talking about fluid motion through your body to create power, not just flailing with your arms and shoulders to hit. You want advice I'll be happy to give it, you don't have to accept it.
I'm giving you my opinion as a boxer who could go pro tomorrow if I really wanted (Maybe not because I haven't trained since I broke my hand).

The internet is not the place to learn how to fight. Don't post videos of crap bagwork. Goto a gym...if you have time to post on the forum, you have time to get to a boxing gym and learn how everyone else does. You say you're a hobbyist- it is clear you are. Just be happy with using the bag for a quick workout or else join a boxing gym.

I've seen 60 year old guys get their arses to a boxing gym and have an amazing work rate and try to learn. Don't waste your years posting shit videos of yourself.

That is almost one of the most brain numbingly stupid things I have ever heard. It's got nothing to do with being Australia and it's got nothing to do with being American. You look at the range of motion in Mike Tysons body every time he throws a punch then tell me he's slow and Australian.

@Sunfish you're probably as close to an expert on boxing that I've seen on Sherdog do you have any input you could add?

iv coached in ireland usa has a different type of style than europe Australians as well most people n ireland were taught to always load up on there right hand they never poke with it thats just 1 example of punches

all you have to do is youtube shadow boxing from us vs austrailia for example and bag work you notice a huge difference in styles

If he used the core he would lose balance. He does not lose balance.

take most peoples criticisms with a grain of salt alot of people didnt train at real legit places and think they know striking sadly like how people randomly like to say to say "always circle away from the rear hand!!" unlike jiu jitsu theres no ranking system to boxing other than pro or am

iv coached in ireland usa has a different type of style than europe Australians as well most people n ireland were taught to always load up on there right hand they never poke with it thats just 1 example of punches

all you have to do is youtube shadow boxing from us vs austrailia for example and bag work you notice a huge difference in styles

Diff gyms have different styles- I learned to box in Ireland since I am from there and was never taught loading up on a right hand, also boxed with many guys who 'poke' and use their jab as a lance. So....yeah.

Diff gyms have different styles- I learned to box in Ireland since I am from there and was never taught loading up on a right hand, also boxed with many guys who 'poke' and use their jab as a lance. So....yeah.

just because people say certain countries have there style doesnt mean that every single person there is the same but its well known of the european style is more up right rather than hunched over like americans

Australians usually have a tight guard and are flat footed and like to brawl rather than stick and move due to not having hand speed

also whered u box in ireland?

just because people say certain countries have there style doesnt mean that every single person there is the same but its well known of the european style is more up right rather than hunched over like americans

Australians usually have a tight guard and are flat footed and like to brawl rather than stick and move due to not having hand speed

In East Belfast

Look at all these "experts" arguing with each other. That's why you don't coach everything at once to someone who's in the early phases. A lot of it also has to be contextualised, there's not always a SPECIFIC way to step in on each jab and all that shit. It's good to have tools and options, various entries and such, but again, you don't overload someone with information like that. You're doing him a disservice and actually hindering his learning with your nonsense.

Also, @Woldog and @Lastofthemohican put up some videos and let us see your work. I'm not disputing you could be pretty good, whichever style you imploy, but it's empty bravado at this point. Even if you were good, a good fighter doesn't necessarily equal a good teacher.

@Ilk You just do you. Pick a few things and work on them. Despite what these clowns say, you are getting much better than you were months ago, it's evident by the footage compared to last. The "lazy" jab they were referring to is you pawing the bag in range, not returning to your face and standing there. That's a dangerous habit. Practice returning the jab to your guard, to the holster, so to say. That's where it belongs. Then down the road when you get that ingrained, then you can start playing a bit with pawing and hand trapping, or whichever.

Again, work seperately on your footwork (lateral) and a few pivots. This needs work. Imagine your opponent in front of you on the bag and keep your guard active. Return the jab to the holster and be prepared to block, and work on the hooks on their own many, many times. That's what I would work on right now, and that's more than enough. If it's too much, just focus on half of it to begin with. Quality training over quantity. You will get better if you do the work right, it's all about mastering the basics.

You understand how the hips are the basis for all headmovement and punching in boxing right?

Don't worry about the specifics in the stance, and it is a bit exaggerated here (it's okay to do that when you're practicing a punch in a vacuum), but do this for working on your hooks. Also, what he is doing with his hips is an essential part in both moving your head, and shifting your weight:

Last edited:
Well done for putting the video up and putting yourself out there to improve. Some of what these characters are saying may sound harsh, but some of them are being brutally honest. Boxing can have a painful learning curve keep at it.

I don't know where you get Australians have no handspeed from.

Don't forget @tekkenfan

I could post up a fight I took on a days notice after 5 years out of the boxing ring and not having trained and we could all have a laugh and a half.
Yeah him too, although he was being a little less brash.

Oh I can relate. I had my first fight after only training boxing for about 6 months, sitting on my ass years before that, and I looked TERRIBLE. Also, I had a torn ACL on my right knee and I couldn't move for shit. I'm still not very good, but I'm learning.

Taking the phone and recording some shadowboxing, bagwork, sparring, padwork, whichever would be cool too. Really it's not that important in order to give advice, but more like put yourself out there kind of thing.

This is my first fight about 5 years ago. I'm in blue:

This is me sparring about 2 years ago:

This is hitting pads about 4 months ago:

And this is shadowboxing a few weeks ago:

Through this I've had ACL surgery, two concussions which unfortunately has stopped my fighting, been overweight and lost it again and so on. I feel like I'm only now starting to get the hang of it slowly.

Lol, not to derail the thread. Talk about putting yourself out there.

Yeah him too, although he was being a little less brash.

Oh I can relate. I had my first fight after only training boxing for about 6 months, sitting on my ass years before that, and I looked TERRIBLE. Also, I had a torn ACL on my right knee and I couldn't move for shit. I'm still not very good, but I'm learning.

Taking the phone and recording some shadowboxing, bagwork, sparring, padwork, whichever would be cool too. Really it's not that important in order to give advice, but more like put yourself out there kind of thing.

This is my first fight about 5 years ago. I'm in blue:

Through this I've had ACL surgery, two concussions which unfortunately has stopped my fighting, been overweight and lost it again and so on. I feel like I'm only now starting to get the hang of it slowly.

Lol, not to derail the thread. Talk about putting yourself out there.

Fuck if you think you looked bad in that first video you should see that fight I mentioned before. I smoke a lot and took it on a days notice, I recon I was lucky I even finished the fight without passing out from lack of oxygen lmao.

Fuck if you think you looked bad in that first video you should see that fight I mentioned before. I smoke a lot and took it on a days notice, I recon I was lucky I even finished the fight without passing out from lack of oxygen lmao.
Haha yeah I used to smoke a lot too. One of the dudes at the gym smoked right before going into the ring the same night, what a dumbass lol.

Fortunately I quit that habit a few years ago.

Well done for getting in there on a days notice. I trained hard for the fight, and with some high level amateurs, but it was way too soon.

Haha yeah I used to smoke a lot too. One of the dudes at the gym smoked right before going into the ring the same night, what a dumbass lol.

Fortunately I quit that habit a few years ago.

Well done for getting in there on a days notice. I trained hard for the fight, and with some high level amateurs, but it was way too soon.

After 5 years out of the ring I couldn't string a combo together to save my life. Was throwing awkward overhands and looked worse than old mate in the training video. I've been dedicated since that fight but because of headaches and that have plagued me all my life I'm unsure if I'll ever fight again.

After 5 years out of the ring I couldn't string a combo together to save my life. Was throwing awkward overhands and looked worse than old mate in the training video. I've been dedicated since that fight but because of headaches and that have plagued me all my life I'm unsure if I'll ever fight again.
It's a never ending journey right? That's what I like about martial arts the most. Always room to grow and get better. Health is important, so if that's the deciding factor then it's the right thing. Even if you end up not fighting anymore, that doesn't mean that you can't keep learning.

The first thing i would say is that your weight is too much on your front leg on the jab which make you lose power for your jab and make you not totally confortable for your right. However, you seem to understand well boxing body mechanics. I very humbly advise you to work on footwork, stance and movement. I think that with this little weight distribution correction, you will feel more confortable !

Okay so what I'd suggest as a quick exercise to help your form is to stand in your boxing stance, now rotate your upperbody to the opposite stance.

Keep your legs in place - now aside from looking ridiculous, what you have is your shoulder all the way back and your rear hip coming forward. You should feel a shift in your weight and balance. Now from here just extend your arm to hit the bag a few times. Once you feel like you're balanced in that goofy stance arm punching, go back your normal stance and throw a punch. You should feel your shoulder come all the way back and your hips to shift. You'll notice a big difference immediately.

Back