Rate my Bag Round

I briefly mentioned what Andy is talking about. Doing that will go a long way to making you less hittable because it forces your head to move. The fun thing about good boxing technique is that it works both offensively and defensively.

Okay so what I'd suggest as a quick exercise to help your form is to stand in your boxing stance, now rotate your upperbody to the opposite stance.

Keep your legs in place - now aside from looking ridiculous, what you have is your shoulder all the way back and your rear hip coming forward. You should feel a shift in your weight and balance. Now from here just extend your arm to hit the bag a few times. Once you feel like you're balanced in that goofy stance arm punching, go back your normal stance and throw a punch. You should feel your shoulder come all the way back and your hips to shift. You'll notice a big difference immediately.

I understand what you mean. We try to do something similar. In fact my friends with whom I go boxing trow a half assed jab always before launching their power hand to get that upper body rotation going on and it indeed protects you with shoulder and some head movement. For example 1-1-2--right hook, they would move their left hand like they are jabbing between the cross and the hook.I am trying it out, but I am not out there yet.

This thread has alot back and forth for a simple

... Manlets just need to bang more

@Seano where did I present any bravado? I always maintain guys who are complete beginners need to get in a boxing gym rather than put 'rate my videos' up. I dont understand why you would have issue with that.

@Seano where did I present any bravado? I always maintain guys who are complete beginners need to get in a boxing gym rather than put 'rate my videos' up. I dont understand why you would have issue with that.
I'm not Seano :D

Yeah you came off like a douche and you mentioned your boxing background, that's why I said it was empty bravado without putting something up.

I agree with you that learning from someone who knows what they are doing and having good training partners is 100 times better than learning by yourself. Unfortunately many boxing gyms are piss poor in various places of the world and they don't give a rats ass about you. You don't know this, but OP actually did one better and had private coaching from a coach with some legit experience. I don't think he's doing that now though.

I'm not Seano :D

Yeah you came off like a douche and you mentioned your boxing background, that's why I said it was empty bravado without putting something up.

I agree with you that learning from someone who knows what they are doing and having good training partners is 100 times better than learning by yourself. Unfortunately many boxing gyms are piss poor in various places of the world and they don't give a rats ass about you. You don't know this, but OP actually did one better and had private coaching from a coach with some legit experience. I don't think he's doing that now though.

A douche for 1- rating his bagwork, 2- telling him to go to a boxing gym. Got it.

huh?

Please go in details. I care about good critique and really fixing the basics. I ve had way too much bad coaching.

I just glanced at your video. Not that your doing anything wrong, or anything perfect for that matter.

Just nailing all the basic techniques, combos, footwork, etc etc. chin down, hands up, bringing hands back to face while throwing, keeping hands up when punching, punching correctly, pivoting/using your hips correctly, etc etc etc

These are some of the "many" foundation techniques you should have perfected.

You see too many guys move onto "spinning back fist" when they cant even throw a proper jab.

A proper jab is going to be alot more beneficial in a fight than a shitty jab to go along with your shitty spinning back fist............just examples man, im sure you get what I am saying.

I don't know where you get Australians have no handspeed from.

what i really find funny about you is that you have 0 sense of sarcasm or humor tot ell when someones joking around you must not be from austrailia tbh

A douche for 1- rating his bagwork, 2- telling him to go to a boxing gym. Got it.
Its the Internet and written posts, so for the most part its harder to get the right tone across. People could mean really well, but the way its worded ends up looking like come backs. Happens with work emails all the time.

This is prob where it came off a bit "douchey"
You say you're a hobbyist- it is clear you are. Just be happy with using the bag for a quick workout or else join a boxing gym.

Last edited:
what i really find funny about you is that you have 0 sense of sarcasm or humor tot ell when someones joking around you must not be from austrailia tbh

Hard to tell if you're a professional idiot or just a gifted amateur.

Its the Internet and written posts, so for the most part its harder to get the right tone across. People could mean really well, but the way its worded ends up looking like cone backs. Happens with work emails all the time.

This is prob where it came off a bit "douchey"

None of what I said was intended to be an asshole to him- just suggested joining a gym since hes a beginner as apposed to seeking technique advice online.

But lets be real for a second: can you imagine anyone in your local boxing gym telling their crusty old coach- hey, i put a video of myself on the heavy bag on an internet forum and asked for advice...

None of what I said was intended to be an asshole to him- just suggested joining a gym since hes a beginner as apposed to seeking technique advice online.

But lets be real for a second: can you imagine anyone in your local boxing gym telling their crusty old coach- hey, i put a video of myself on the heavy bag on an internet forum and asked for advice...
lol, I think that violates the "Don't talk to another trainer's fighter" rule

Hard to tell if you're a professional idiot or just a gifted amateur.
i am professional fighter yes and i have a great sense of humor you are a square who cant detect basic sarcasm :)

which is bad due to austrailia being a country where people are very sarcastic you must be from north Korea or somewhere and just immigrated to there

You are not standing too high, your chin should be down though. My advice: throw less but incorporate your legs and hips more. Short sharp lower body movement as you punch. Throw 2-3 punches, move, pause, repeat, for a few months.

I am in a gym lol. However we do a small group privates with 2 friends. It is the coach who is actually taking the video. The town I live at is small - about 90k people.

First I started with kick boxing 3 years ago approx. In a huge gym with a pretty bad young coach who was a pro MMA fighter. I have posted a video of him here. He is a legit fighter but not a good coach.

Due to work on moving places I quit in 2-3 months. But I picked already tons of bad habits.

Then I was doing for 2-3 months in Istanbul MT and Luta Livre in a private gym. Legit but fucking lazy coach. We were doing about 1 hour of conditioning drills...10 mins instagram posing and 20 mins of an actual work. I quit after 2 months as I could go to a fitness gym and do the same.

Then I started in the first KB place for few months again. But.again I had pretty bad results and after 3-4 months I quit and went working.

Recently my neighbour told me he is boxing with another friend and I started with them before past summer. We had a replace coach who is now 80 who is a freaking great coach. He put finally some foundations in place for me. The dude has an Olympic Silver medal in boxing PHD from a sports academy in Sofia and has coached my current 50 years old coach. He put a lot of emphasys on form on the jab and the cross and the small forward and backwards movement. We were walking backwards, forward and diagonally , sideways for 10-20 mins per class learning how to do it and trow punches in the same way. This is why I can't take it seriously what you said about the bigger steps. He is the one that wanted us to sit tall. He was advocating even trowing the jab without steps but from a spot via rising on our toes on both feet to learn the body mechanics.

Now my current coach is a student of this guy. He is not that good and is pretty lazy regarding training but the guy gives solid advice in spars and during pads and is a main reason I am improving. If you think this looks bad you should check my previous video. It is in my training log.

As I said I am a hobbyist and I don't care about competition. I play amateur soccer. I am doing it cause it is a fun activity. And that as an adult man I should know how to protect family if needed.

I am in a gym lol. However we do a small group privates with 2 friends. It is the coach who is actually taking the video. The town I live at is small - about 90k people.

First I started with kick boxing 3 years ago approx. In a huge gym with a pretty bad young coach who was a pro MMA fighter. I have posted a video of him here. He is a legit fighter but not a good coach.

Due to work on moving places I quit in 2-3 months. But I picked already tons of bad habits.

Then I was doing for 2-3 months in Istanbul MT and Luta Livre in a private gym. Legit but fucking lazy coach. We were doing about 1 hour of conditioning drills...10 mins instagram posing and 20 mins of an actual work. I quit after 2 months as I could go to a fitness gym and do the same.

Then I started in the first KB place for few months again. But.again I had pretty bad results and after 3-4 months I quit and went working.

Recently my neighbour told me he is boxing with another friend and I started with them before past summer. We had a replace coach who is now 80 who is a freaking great coach. He put finally some foundations in place for me. The dude has an Olympic Silver medal in boxing PHD from a sports academy in Sofia and has coached my current 50 years old coach. He put a lot of emphasys on form on the jab and the cross and the small forward and backwards movement. We were walking backwards, forward and diagonally , sideways for 10-20 mins per class learning how to do it and trow punches in the same way. This is why I can't take it seriously what you said about the bigger steps. He is the one that wanted us to sit tall. He was advocating even trowing the jab without steps but from a spot via rising on our toes on both feet to learn the body mechanics.

Now my current coach is a student of this guy. He is not that good and is pretty lazy regarding training but the guy gives solid advice in spars and during pads and is a main reason I am improving. If you think this looks bad you should check my previous video. It is in my training log.

As I said I am a hobbyist and I don't care about competition. I play amateur soccer. I am doing it cause it is a fun activity. And that as an adult man I should know how to protect family if needed.

boxings a dying art in smaller citys sadly my hometown had a very rich boxing heritage the main trainer cornered a few world champions and hes too old now and doesnt train guys the gym i started at since i was 14 closed down 5 years back it had been open since late 1800s in 10 years the only coaches in boxing left will be me and the other 8 of us whos till train and fight sadly

boxings kinda dead as far as people training it goes in big citys its fine but these older guys die and its sad how much knowledge is lost

boxings a dying art in smaller citys sadly my hometown had a very rich boxing heritage the main trainer cornered a few world champions and hes too old now and doesnt train guys the gym i started at since i was 14 closed down 5 years back it had been open since late 1800s in 10 years the only coaches in boxing left will be me and the other 8 of us whos till train and fight sadly

boxings kinda dead as far as people training it goes in big citys its fine but these older guys die and its sad how much knowledge is lost

Yeah, man. Sadly it is the truth. This old coach is really great. Classes felt like you are in an university lecture and in practice class doing mechanics or something like that. A really good teacher, knows his stuff, knows how to teach it and knows how to correct it. Of course you could not bang his pads, cause the guy is old, but we were banging the heavy bags and he breathing in our backs correcting our technique.

Back