Rate the Jurassic Park movies

This is my favorite series. Essentially the first one is my favorite movie of all time. I'm a JP professional. The only right answer is

Original

World

JP 2

JP 3

Spacing for scale

1. Jurassic park - I give this a 9.5. Classic movie.

2. Jurassic World/Lost World. - Both were entertaining but had some stupid shit in it. I'd give both around a 6 I suppose. I used to think LW was better, but after rewatching it recently the stupid shit was actually more stupid than I remember.

Jurassic Park 3 does not exist. That movie was never made.

I don't care for Lost World either. It's actually been quite a while since I last saw it but to my recollection the only worthwhile thing about that film is Rexy's rampage through San Diego.

Regarding JP3, the thing is, I don't feel like it's a good film and I don't really care to go back and watch it again, but I also think it's a decent enough straightforward dino actioner and for whatever reason I feel some glimmer of affection for it.

Then again, I did recently watch this excellent retrospective of the film so maybe that's coloring my perception at the moment:

Besides the many flaws, I just can't get over Spinosaurus beating T.rex.

How could they do that to the most awesome dinosaur and the mascot of the franchise? That fight was complete bullshit.

Same order as released...

1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2 >>>>>>>> 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4

4 is Jurrasic park meets idiocracy.

I's so fucking bad it's insulting.

First one is untouchable. Just a masterpiece great effects great pacing captured the imagination of a 11 year old boy like few movies ever did

Third one is silly and fun love when ol dude kicks the dactyl on the bridge I marked out hard because I was sayin kick it kick it and he did

second one kinda sucked but cant say much about it because I only seen it once and dont recall much

most recent one was the fucking worst. They took out all the suspense and fun and just turned it into a car chase movie with dinosaurs . Everything about the most recent one annoyed me

Besides the many flaws, I just can't get over Spinosaurus beating T.rex.

How could they do that to the most awesome dinosaur and the mascot of the franchise? That fight was complete bullshit.

I guess they can't have the same dino winning every time. Not much suspense in that. But I do get what you're saying, everyone knows the T-Rex is king.

I haven't seen it in a while and just found JP3 on Blu-Ray on Amazon for $7 so I said fuck it and went ahead and ordered it. So I'll be giving it another look soon.

I liked almost all the dino action sequences in the Lost World, but everything else sucked. The characters were annoying and unlikeable, specially the girl. And the gymnastics sequence with the velrociraptor is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Jurassic Park -- 8/10
Jurassic Park 2 -- 7/10
Jurasic World -- 6/10
Jurassic Park 3 -- 5.5/10

I never understood the spite that Jurassic Park 2 gets. It's almost like I need to watch it with someone who points out to me how much it sucks as we're watching it.

Because this:

Jurassic Park 9/10
Jurassic World 8.5/10
Lost World 8/10
Jurassic Park 3 6/10

The thing about JP3 is that even at they never could seem to get a script together that everyone liked. Even at the beginning of filming the script had not been finished. So Joe Johnston is out there calling action while behind a curtain somewhere the script is still being feverishly written from day-to-day.

Here's a bit of info on the whole convoluted saga of the JP3 script:

Universal Pictures announced the film on June 29, 1998, with Spielberg acting as a producer. Michael Crichton was reportedly going to collaborate with Spielberg to create a storyline and write a script. The film was set for release in summer 2000. Spielberg initially devised a story idea that involved Dr. Alan Grant, who was discovered to have been living on one of InGen's islands. According to Johnston, "He'd snuck in, after not being allowed in to research the dinosaurs, and was living in a tree like Robinson Crusoe. But I couldn't imagine this guy wanting to get back on any island that had dinosaurs in it after the first movie."

In June 1999, Craig Rosenberg began writing the first draft of the script, which involved teenagers who get marooned on Isla Sorna. Johnston was announced as the film's director in August 1999, with Rosenberg still attached. Production was expected to begin in early 2000. Rosenberg's draft about teenagers on Isla Sorna was rejected in September 1999. Although Johnston felt that it was "not a badly written script," he also said, "It read like a bad episode of Friends". By December 1999, new writers had been hired to devise a better story for the film.

The film's second script involved Pteranodon escaping from Isla Sorna and causing a spate of mysterious killings on the mainland, which was to be investigated by Alan Grant and a number of other characters including Billy Brennan, a naturalist named Simone, a tough military attaché, wealthy Paul Roby, and Roby's teenage son Miles. Grant's group crash-lands on the island, while a parallel investigation is being carried out on the mainland. The aviary sequence and laboratory set piece were initially much longer and more complex, including Velociraptor stealthily entering the hatchery as the team spends the night there. Sets, costumes, and props were built for this version.

In February 2000, filming was reportedly set to begin in Fiordland, New Zealand around the end of the month. Scenes were originally planned to be filmed there for The Lost World: Jurassic Park. In March 2000, Maui, Hawaii was reportedly chosen instead of New Zealand. Sam Neill signed on to the project in June 2000, with 18 weeks of filming expected to begin by August 2000, for a release in July 2001. Macy originally turned down his role due to scheduling conflicts. Trevor Morgan and Téa Leoni were cast in August 2000, with Utah's Dinosaur National Monument and an Oahu military base being considered as possible filming locations. During the pre-production phase, concept artists created advertising for the film using a number of working titles including Jurassic Park: Extinction and Jurassic Park: Breakout.

Five weeks before filming began, Johnston and Spielberg rejected the entire script as they were dissatisfied with it; $18 million had already been spent on the film at that time. Johnston felt that the script's story was too complicated. The simpler "rescue mission" plot, which had been suggested by David Koepp, was used for the film instead. Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor began rewriting the script in July 2000.

Johnston said that the script was never finished during production: "We shot pages that eventually went into the final script but we didn't have a document". Principal photography began on August 30, 2000, at Dillingham Airfield in Mokulēia, Hawaii. Macy, commenting on the slow pace of filming the script, said "we would do a quarter-page--some days, an eighth of a page. And that would be a full 12-hour day."

Looking at that, the script was never finished until after production. That explains the half arsed ending, and a bunch of the other stuff that they seemingly put in just to fill space.

I guess they can't have the same dino winning every time. Not much suspense in that. But I do get what you're saying, everyone knows the T-Rex is king.

I haven't seen it in a while and just found JP3 on Blu-Ray on Amazon for $7 so I said fuck it and went ahead and ordered it. So I'll be giving it another look soon.
They could have made the encounters with T.rex and Spinosaurus separate. They didn't have to have a dino vs dino battle IMO.

The way they handled it is even dumber though. A strong bite is basically the trademark of T.rex. And somehow this one has Spino by the neck for a good while and it escapes almost unharmed. They did the same in JW with Indominus as well. Pretty stupid tbh.

Looking at that, the script was never finished until after production. That explains the half arsed ending, and a bunch of the other stuff that they seemingly put in just to fill space.

The second script--the one with the mysterious killings and the parallel investigations--is the one that sounds the most interesting to me. I know Johnston said he didn't want the story to get too complicated, but on the other hand I think one of the problems with JPIII is that the story is too simple.

Because this:

That balerina shit is 30 seconds of screentime. Its a cringy moment yeah but it doesn't sink the rest of the picture. Besides, the rest of the raptor moments are darn good.

ALWAYS preferred it over JP 2.

Man, it's been SO long since I last watched JP2 that I remember very little about it, but I do remember thinking it was very disappointing. I should give it a re-watch soon just to confirm.

The second script--the one with the mysterious killings and the parallel investigations--is the one that sounds the most interesting to me. I know Johnston said he didn't want the story to get too complicated, but on the other hand I think one of the problems with JPIII is that the story is too simple.

It depends whether the pteranodon was responsible for the mystery killings. I'd find it hard to fathom how a creature with a 6 meter wing span could go around killing un-noticed.

I think the major issue with JP3 was the husband and wife characters, as well as a lot of the other characters. Grant and the kid were the only 2 that were decent if I remember correctly.

I don't remember having any serious character issues. My problem was mostly that the film consisted of: Go to island --> fight dinos --> escape. Whereas with the first film there was an intelligent and thoughtful story behind it all.

Granted, of course, the first film did have the benefit of introducing the premise of the series and all the science behind it.

Back