Ravens Flock: "RETURN OF THE OFFENSE" 2019 edition

I'm sticking with 19-0.

giphy.gif

I'm feelin' that!!

lmao, dude, I was thinking, like I want to make predictions every week like I did for this week... but then I thought about it and I was like "I predicted an 11-5 record, but there are no games I'm gonna pick against the Ravens, so I don't think the every week prediction is gonna work out," hahaha

Nah, you're good. Clearly it's only the injuries keeping you from the 19-0 prediction yourself. How are you supposed to know which games it'll effect?

with 7min left in the 4th:

#Ravens' defensive series:
1st defensive series: PUNT
2nd defensive series: INT
3rd defensive series: INT
4th defensive series: PUNT
5th defensive series: INT
6th defensive series: PUNT
7th defensive series: FUMBLE
8th defensive series: PUNT
9th defensive series: PUNT
10th defensive series: TURNOVER ON DOWNS.
11th defensive series: INT
12th defensive series: Game Over.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Ravens 20-0 Bengals
Season: 1-0

"The only previous times the Ravens had delivered a shutout in an opener were in 2000 and 2006. The 2000 defense set an NFL record for fewest points in a 16-game season, and the 2006 one is the only one in franchise history to finish ranked No. 1.

The last time Baltimore won in Cincinnati was 2011, when the Ravens had Ray Lewis and Ed Reed roaming the defense. The way the Ravens were taking the ball away Sunday, it was reminiscent of how Lewis and Reed changed games."

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-...s-up-its-words-by-silencing-bengals-in-opener

---

some good news, Za'darius Smith's injury is being reported as a knee sprain, not a ligament or cartilage tear. Definitely don't want to lose him or any other defensive player.

Hopefully Woodhead gets healthy soon, Joe looked lost without him, TBH, outside of one well-designed play to Maclin for 48 yards. But... the Bengals are a good team and Joe missed the preseason so I'm not tripping about how the offense looked. I loved our play-calling all game long, commitment to the run, ball-control, etc. Just need Joe and the receivers a little more in-sync and we'll be good to go.

Last edited:
Didn't get to watch the game today (will probably miss a lot of the first half this season). Was calling a double header for fall ball. Had a parent feeding me constant updates. Sounded like the defense was just swarming everything. Was it that fun to watch? I know one INT was at the end of a long Cincy drive. Was the defense really dominating or were they saving themselves by forcing the turnovers?

It's good to see Sizzle really take on the leadership role since Ray left. Wasn't sure that was him, but dude has been great at it. Obviously it's different and he has to be Sizzle, but I love hearing shit like this first thing at the PC.

Didn't get to watch the game today (will probably miss a lot of the first half this season). Was calling a double header for fall ball. Had a parent feeding me constant updates. Sounded like the defense was just swarming everything. Was it that fun to watch? I know one INT was at the end of a long Cincy drive. Was the defense really dominating or were they saving themselves by forcing the turnovers?

Dominating.

It was hard to feel because Cinci's skill players are SO good and so at any moment you felt like they could just run through the defense, but the secondary pretty much had them wrapped up all game long and we made plays when we needed to. They only really drove on one drive and CJ Mosley made an amazing INT in the endzone, other than that Dalton had a hard time finding receivers all game and we stuffed the run.

I thought this was a great game for the defense considering how high-powered Cinci is. You can say Andy made mistakes, but he only missed one deep throw to an open receiver that would have been a TD... other than that, he had to take what he could get and that wasn't much at all.

It was glorious to watch... and for me it was great to see the offense run the ball consistently. We had a drive in the 3rd quarter that took up 10 minutes and 80+ yards and it was like 13 runs in a row, lmao. We got a lucky PI call, I think, but still, even if it would have ended there, the commitment to the run game was great to see.

Flacco was OFF all game pretty much. Him and Woodhead looked great, but then Danny goes down on the 2nd drive with another hamstring injury to the same leg it looked like and he doesn't sound that optimistic about it. We'll see. Obviously Flacco missed the preseason and training camp, so him looking off wasn't that surprising.... but again, the bengals have a good defense, so, I can't hate too much. I loved the play-calling, which is the most important thing for Flacco I think.

Last edited:
michael-keaton.gif

Ravens are undefeated right now though so I guess I can't talk too much shit. Getting a division win on the road is a hard thing to do.

PFF breakdown:

TOP 5 GRADES:
DI Brandon Williams, 90.4 overall grade

Edge Terrell Suggs, 85.0 overall grade

LB C.J. Mosley, 84.4 overall grade

DI Michael Pierce, 84.3 overall grade

RB Terrance West, 82.4 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
QB JOE FLACCO, 40.9 OVERALL GRADE

It wasn’t pretty from Flacco, but it didn’t need to be. In his first action since returning from injury, Flacco competed only one pass targeted 10 or more yards down the field and gained only 27 of his 121 yards through the air.

RB TERRANCE WEST, 82.4 OVERALL GRADE
West has certainly come a long way since his rookie season in Cleveland where he looked to bounce everything to the outside. On Sunday, he was grinding out tough yards again and again, averaging 2.5 yards after contact per attempt. He may have only broken one tackle on the day, but West’s ability to consistently locate the right hole kept the Ravens offense on schedule.

LB C.J. MOSLEY, 84.4 OVERALL GRADE
In retrospect, Mosley’s end zone interception was likely the turning point in the game. It was the Bengals best opportunity to score points all day and Mosley put it to an end with a perfectly high-pointed pick. He added four more stops for a complete all around performance.

DI BRANDON WILLIAMS, 90.4 OVERALL GRADE
Williams was coming off a bit of a down season when the Ravens rewarded him with a monstrous extension this offseason. Williams rewarded that faith her in Week 1 with a utterly dominant performance. He only registered one stop on the stat sheet, but his three pressures and multiple other runs affected were huge in this one.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-baltimore-ravens-20-cincinnati-bengals-0

Dominating.

It was hard to feel because Cinci's skill players are SO good and so at any moment you felt like they could just run through the defense, but the secondary pretty much had them wrapped up all game long and we made plays when we needed to. They only really drove on one drive and CJ Mosley made an amazing INT in the endzone, other than that Dalton had a hard time finding receivers all game and we stuffed the run.

I thought this was a great game for the defense considering how high-powered Cinci is. You can say Andy made mistakes, but he only missed one deep throw to an open receiver that would have been a TD... other than that, he had to take what he could get and that wasn't much at all.

It was glorious to watch... and for me it was great to see the offense run the ball consistently. We had a drive in the 3rd quarter that took up 10 minutes and 80+ yards and it was like 13 runs in a row, lmao. We got a lucky PI call, I think, but still, even if it would have ended there, the commitment to the run game was great to see.

Flacco was OFF all game pretty much. Him and Woodhead looked great, but then Danny goes down on the 2nd drive with another hamstring injury to the same leg it looked like and he doesn't sound that optimistic about it. We'll see. Obviously Flacco missed the preseason and training camp, so him looking off wasn't that surprising.... but again, the bengals have a good defense, so, I can't hate too much. I loved the play-calling, which is the most important thing for Flacco I think.
Thanks. Great to hear. I read similarly just now too. I agree completely with the importance of playcalling for FlacGOAT. It was nice to hear that the big TD pass was on an audible though. That's how he needs it. Steady gameplan and then let him switch things occasionally if he's really seeing something. He can do that. Hamstringing him to no flexibility doesn't work and he's not Peyton Manning. Just let him be the extremely competent QB he is.

Really glad to hear they committed to the run. Now let's see if that continues in games they aren't dominating. Their willingness to abandon it when it's not getting immediate results has often been a weakness. If they'd just commit to tiring out defenses and keeping ours fresh, sky should be the limit.

How did the O-line look, btw? Was surprised it wasn't talked about one way or the other in the couple articles I saw. I assume that means they looked fine, but that should be a story in itself. Lol.

How did the O-line look, btw? Was surprised it wasn't talked about one way or the other in the couple articles I saw. I assume that means they looked fine, but that should be a story in itself. Lol.

I mean, considering they played the Cinci front 7, who are pretty fucking great, and we were able to control the ball for significant periods of time, I would say the O-line looked good. Pass protection was hard to gauge bc most were quick passes, but it seemed like Cinci could get penetration.. but I mean, we did pretty much what we wanted to do vs. a good defensive line. I'm happy.

I mean, considering they played the Cinci front 7, who are pretty fucking great, and we were able to control the ball for significant periods of time, I would say the O-line looked good. Pass protection was hard to gauge bc most were quick passes, but it seemed like Cinci could get penetration.. but I mean, we did pretty much what we wanted to do vs. a good defensive line. I'm happy.
Sounds good. Considering what a question mark they are and the total lack of depth, they should probably be getting more love. Lol.

keeping a close eye on injuries in here -- some potentially good news for once, at least he's not out for the season, it looked like he could be when he was laid out on the field

Interesting. Freeing up cap space by restructuring Brandon Williams' monster deal. The good thing about him is that he HONORED the massive deal by playing better and I think he will all year. That's cool as fuck. I love Ravens' culture.

I wonder who they're trying to acquire? They are seriously going ALL IN this year in terms of restructuring deals -- they did it with Jimmy Smith again, too.

added back Josh Woodrum to the practice squad. Not notable, really, but he was good during the preseason, better than Mallett. The offseason moves were all great EXCEPT signing Mallett so that cutting him would leave a million in dead cap space.

Not that concerned about this, actually. Joe needs to develop rapport with the receiving corps and new TEs, they all need a lot of balls thrown their way in-game to get warmed up. If Woodhead comes back and stays healthy, I feel like this will be a positive thing for everyone. Because Flacco will rely on one person way too much and now all of those people are gone (Smith, Pitta, and Woodhead was obviously going to be his new fav).

Hoping for good news on Za'Darius Smith next.

@iwhoopedbatman tough decisions about the IR list bc we definitely want Canady off of it and only one of Woodhead/ZSmith can go on and come back off.

We'll see what the team does. Need news on ZSmith's injury first, obviously.

If they're back in 4/6 weeks, why do they need to IR them? Is it a salary cap thing? They can just not dress.

Back