Ravens Flock: "RETURN OF THE OFFENSE" 2019 edition

Ravens getting that ass whooped

{<jordan}

large.png

Pretty sure this is the worst ass-whooping I have ever seen for a team I've cheered for since I was at the Florida Gators' home game against the Miami Hurricanes in the early 2000s, I don't remember which year it was but I think the score was like Hurricanes 41-7 Gators or something outrageous. That's the only game that comes to mind even close to the level of a beatdown this has been.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to tomorrow's game. I'm not taking a victory for granted at all. Jacksonville has a great defense. We'll see what happens. No prediction besides hoping for a Ravens win.

<bball2>

Ravens 7-44 Jaguars
Season: 2-1

I posted this in the NFL thread and I have to post it here too: I'm a person that believes in the value of suffering.

Jags just fake-punted up 37-0 for like a 50yd gain. So, this is an embarrassment, a humiliation on every level, they already converted one 4th down earlier when they were up.

This team made every right play the first two weeks and the ball bounced their way every team they gave up yards... well, now, they got dominated at every position for the entire game and the game isn't even over yet, it might be 51-0 by the end, the 4th quarter is just starting.

Hopefully this will be a good lesson.

I'm pulling a Belichick

On to Pittsburgh!

Last edited:

Couldn't say it better myself. Beaten down in every phase of the game at every position, as far as I could tell.

https://ebonybird.com/2017/09/24/baltimore-ravens-the-worst-performance-in-franchise-history/

The Baltimore Ravens lost 44-7 to the Jacksonville Jaguars. There is no way around it, this was the worst performance in franchise history:

The Baltimore Ravens went into the half getting trounced by the Jacksonville Jaguars. The first half ended with the Ravens losing 23-0. It was a nightmare for the Baltimore Ravens fanbase. The Ravens gained a whopping 15 yards in the first half. The Jaguars had 261 total yards at the same point. Sam Koch punted six times before the merciful halftime intermission. The other possession for the Ravens ended with an interception...

The defense got almost no pass rush while they slipped into a 23-0 hole. When they did, Eric Weddle couldn’t complete a sack. The Jaguars took the game to the Ravens. It looked like Blake Bortles was playing on air. Leonard Fournette led the Jaguars rushing attack, a rushing attack that totaled 77 rushing yards in the terrible first 30 minutes of football.

The offensive line was as bad as it could get. Flacco didn’t have a chance, though his performance was lacking by any measure. The offense looked hopeless. The Ravens made the Jaguars look like the New England Patriots. Give credit to the Jaguars. They came into this game with the right mindset and played with purpose. The Ravens simply gave them all the help they could get.

But wait, it gets worse:

The second half began the same way. The Jaguars extended the score to 30-0 with relative ease. Then Terrence West fumbled the football and the Jaguars had a long return to give the offense a first and goal. Then the Ravens gave up a touchdown to Mercedes Lewis against Tony Jefferson. All the sudden it was 37-0. Halfway into the third quarter the Ravens were getting embarrassed, to a degree you seldom see in football.

Make no mistake about this. This is the worst game in franchise history. They were 2-0. They were coming off dominant wins. When the game started fans were expecting a win. When the game ended fans had to question everything. The Ravens embarrassed themselves in this game. It was just awful. The Ravens have had some bad moments. This was without question the worst.

After a fake punt made matters worse, the Ravens found themselves down 44-0. They took out Joe Flacco and started running the football. When the fourth quarter began, the game was over. Baltimore looked like they were sleep walking in the beginning of the game and at the end of it they just wanted it to be over. There is no nice thing to say. This was the worst performance the Ravens ever had and it isn’t even close. It was a total beat down. The Jaguars played well. Give them credit, but the Ravens played absolutely horrible football.

The NFL schedule’s first game in London this season did not disappoint, if you’re a Jaguars fan across the pond. The Ravens were utterly shut down by Jacksonville, limiting Baltimore to just 186 total yards, most of which came in the later stages of the game when the score was out of reach.

Jaguars QB Blake Bortles tossed four touchdowns in the blowout, two to TE Marcedes Lewis and rookie RB Leonard Fournette capped the scoring on the first play of the fourth quarter for Jacksonville when they jumped out to a 44-0 lead. Ben Watson hauled in a Ryan Mallett TD with 3:24 left in the final quarter to avoid the shut out for Baltimore and push the final score to a 44-7 Jaguars win. With that, we give you our PFF exclusive takeaways from the contest for each team.

TOP 5 GRADES:
TE Marcedes Lewis, 91.4 overall grade

CB Jalen Ramsey, 89.2 overall grade

DE Calais Campbell, 87.6 overall grade

S Tashaun Gipson, 84.8 overall grade

RB Leonard Fournette, 84.1 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
QB BLAKE BORTLES, 78.0 OVERALL GRADE

It couldn’t have gone much better for Bortles. Four-touchdown day. Check. No picks. Check. Backup throws turnover worthy ball on first attempt. Check. It may last for just a week but with his line buying him plenty of time and Marcedes Lewis rolling back the years, Bortles looked comfortable and composed and able to work attacking all levels of the defense. The question for Bortles though is whether this can be the springboard to something more consistent in keeping up with his very respectable adjusted completion percentage of 77.8 today, or just an agonizing tease.

TE MARCEDES LEWIS, 91.4 OVERALL GRADE
This morning it was Maurice Jones-Drew saying his former teammate would be the difference maker. Oh how we laughed at the notion of a receptionless tight end making his mark. Oh how we were wrong. Lewis had the kind of game he would have dreamed of in his prime. His touchdowns saw him pick on linebackers and safeties, using his size to create mismatches and just flat out running a flat footed Ravens defense. Throw in some of the blocking we’ve come to expect from him and you have a guy who is going to get picked up on a lot of waiver wires this week after averaging 3.26 yards per route run.

CB JALEN RAMSEY, 89.2 OVERALL GRADE
It’s easy to ignore Ramsey. He plays in a market that since he was drafted has been viewed as a perennial loser. But those paying attention are watching the development of one of the best cornerbacks in the game. This week offered another example as to why as he was near perfect in coverage, allowing just two completions (for 11 yards) on seven targets while making a perfect read on a bad Flacco decision to walk away with an interception. He made it look easy today en route to a 0.0 passer rating when targeted.

DE CALAIS CAMPBELL, 87.6 OVERALL GRADE
You always wonder if a free agent can replicate his excellent form as he moves to a new team and a different system. Well we don’t really need to wonder with Campbell anymore. After his quiet day against the Titans, he was phenomenal beating up on the Ravens. His day included a forced fumble, a sack, a hit and three hurries as well as two defensive stops in the run game. Not a bad day and Campbell is proving the difference maker up front the Jaguars have desperately needed.

TOP 5 GRADES:
CB Jimmy Smith, 89.4 overall grade

C Ryan Jensen, 85.0 overall grade

DT Carl Davis, 79.2 overall grade

CB Marlon Humphrey, 77.9 overall grade

S Eric Weddle, 77.8 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
QB JOE FLACCO, 46.2 OVERALL GRADE

After a good performance against Cleveland, comes the Flacco we’ve become more accustomed to ever since his hot streak ended with a famous Super Bowl win. Constantly off target and consistently unnerved by the Jags stunting defensive front, Flacco never looked like he enjoyed the trip to London and the stats back it up. He didn’t complete a pass over 10 yards all game and made a horrible decision as Jalen Ramsey picked him off. If the Ravens are to be true contenders he simply has to play better.

RG MATT SKURA, 52.4 OVERALL GRADE
One thing Skura will never be is Marshal Yanda. Perhaps it’s just a coincidence the offense sputtered without arguably the best lineman in the NFL. But Skura to his credit wasn’t a liability in his 40 snaps, and while Jermaine Eluemunor gave up a sack, neither was Skura in on the 16 Eluemunor played. Slighlty below average play doesn’t kill you when it’s one lineman, but when the dropoff is to that from the best in the business, it really stands out. No surprises that while the stat look kind to the running game, most of that went down deep into garbage time.

CB JIMMY SMITH, 89.4 OVERALL GRADE
Not all Ravens forgot to take their playing shoes to the UK. CB Smith can be one of the better cornerbacks in the league on his day, and this was definitely his day. While Marqise Lee had joy during the game, he had none when matched up with Smith who blanketed him to the tune of three attempts, zero completions and two pass break ups. On a bad day for the defense he was outstanding.

LB C.J. MOSLEY, 44.4 OVERALL GRADE
It was a big tackle day for Mosley as he led the team with 11, with six of them going for defensive stops. His problems though came in coverage, especially as Marcedes Lewis got in behind him for his second touchdown of the day. Mosley hasn’t quite hit the heights of previous years this season and this was another example of that.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-jacksonville-jaguars-44-baltimore-ravens-7

Hmm.. I'm not sure if there is a schematic problem with the Ravens offense or not. Last year, I felt like the offense came together in the passing game and I was expecting improvement. Then, they added Greg Roman to balance the running game and I'm not sure if combining him with MartyBall ended up making both of them lesser? Like, they took the MartyBall away from Marty to go with Roman's run game, which is good, but I still wanted Marty's passing game. I thought the two would combine and we'd get the best of both worlds. So far, that hasn't happened, but it's too early to cast judgment, I think.

The first week, Flacco was all out-of-sorts from only practicing 3 days, and the defense dominated so we ran the ball. The 2nd week looked a lot better, a step in the right direction, but we lost Marshal Yanda... so this week Flacco had no time at all and the couple passes he did throw were dropped -- this week was just like the worst case scenario for literally every position on the field. So, I don't even think we got a chance to see what the scheme would be and I don't think we've seen the full offense even play out yet, so IDK.

I feel like there IS something wrong schematically with the defense because holes keep getting exploited that I don't feel like should be there and I'm surprised by that, and they're not getting the same pass rush, they need to blitz more, they didn't get great pressure against Cleveland at times and this game that trend continued. And I know Brandon Williams is out, but even with him in, I didn't think they were getting enough pressure for the level of coverage. Like, if there are going to be holes in the secondary, why not try to rely on bringing more people, getting to the QB, and playing more man coverage?

My hope is that this ass-whooping knocks the defense off their spot a little bit, they'll be less arrogant, look for things to fix and fix them. It's good they play the Steelers next bc there's no way to not be pumped and focused for a Steelers game and it's always better to prepare with a humble mindset -- and the team certainly got humbled today.

The next two weeks will tell us a lot about this team. I'm not too worried about this loss, though, and I think it could be a good thing ultimately.

Last edited:
I can't overstate how happy I am I missed yesterday's game. Good lord.

The past couple years I have been saying: the Ravens don't have the secondary personnel to stop teams bc they keep giving up these drives to lose games. So, this year when they stack the secondary, I'm like, "problem solved, they got this."

Now, I have to question: what if it is the coordinator? If the Ravens are not a stifling defense with this secondary and their zone is getting exploited, why not stop playing zone? Like, there are WAY TOO MANY good-to-great players to give up these kind of numbers vs. Blake Bortles and Kizer. There are just holes in the defense, and there are too many times when there is no pressure on the quarterback.

I feel like something has to change defensively.

I like Dean, but his main failing is not pressuring the QB enough. I think his bend don't break strategy works well more often than not, but there are a lot of games where he's too passive going for the jugular.

Nice! Brandon Williams back practicing!! Can't afford to be missing him after losing Brent Urban -- ppl were expecting him to have a break-out year and be dominant. Those are two good-to-great starters we've lost in the trenches for the season just since the season has started. Our O-line was already decimated, can't afford too many injuries on the d-line.

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2...ractice-on-wednesday-maxx-williams-ben-watson

Can't wait till Jaylen Hill can go.

Oh damn, I didn't realize Urban was out the whole season. WTF. Enough already. It's not even the old guys getting hurt.

Oh damn, I didn't realize Urban was out the whole season. WTF. Enough already. It's not even the old guys getting hurt.

Yeah dude, pretty big blow. Fortunately we have a lot D-line players, but still.

If the Ravens give up big yards to big ben passing and don't pressure at all, I'm gonna start calling for Dean Pees to be fired. I'm sure they will notice my thread on here :)

with the corners we have, can play man with the steeler's receivers and be fine if needed, if the zone is exploited we need to switch it up.

Apparently mis-reported that Brandon Williams was back practicing. Not yet! :(

Really great point about how injuries have hurt the Ravens the past several years:

“I’ve written this before, but there’s been no bigger reason for the Ravens not making the playoffs in three of the past four years than the rash of significant injuries suffered by young players. It stalls a promising player’s development in a big way to miss part of a season, a full season or more.”

Zrebiec noted the Ravens have missed on draft picks, which have also hurt the team. But he said nobody could’ve predicted injuries to Brent Urban, Bronson Kaufusi, Crockett Gillmore, Alex Lewis, Maxx Williams, Carl Davis, Tavon Young, Kenneth Dixon, Maurice Canady and Nico Siragusabecause they were all durable during their college careers.

These players were all drafted in the last four years, and they’ve all missed (or will miss) a full year of football while on their rookie contracts.

As for Urban, who was the latest to land on IR, he will be a free agent after this season. While he’s shown plenty of talent, injuries have derailed a majority of his NFL career since the Ravens drafted him in 2014.

Now that we know his season is over, the question going forward is whether this injury will spell the end to Urban’s career in Baltimore.

t would be foolish to close the door on Urban. Kaufusi and Wormley could both struggle, and Urban’s injury history — he’ll likely end up playing just 25 of 64 regular-season games for the Ravens over four seasons — could depress his market,” Zrebiec wrote. “However, you couldn’t blame the Ravens if they decided to go with younger, cheaper and more durable options.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...ne-Laugh/0b7f146c-8f6b-4043-afdc-0a797e3b96e8

-_-

giphy.gif

O-line is a total disaster.

Last edited:
Ravens 9 - 26 Steelers
Season: 2-2

The pieces missing on defense I feel like are adding up in the secondary. Like, having to play Lardarius Webb resulted in 3 3rd & long conversions that I saw, alone, and I'm sure many other plays that Tavon Young, Maurice Canady, or even Jaylen Hill would have played a lot tighter coverage on.

I like Webb a lot, but he's like 4th string player-coach at this point in his career and he's had to start all season.

Not to mention both Brent Urban and Brandon Williams out -- they ran all over us.

The offense looked better in the 2nd half, but not by that much. 'better' as in actually completed a couple passes.

IDK.

Back