Read me whining about my auto mechanic

Man we take a lot of unnecessary shit from whiny auto owners @ralphc1 . If you had an iota of a clue what overhead costs were in a modern shop you’d change your tunes. Waaahhh I got charged $200 just to hook up the scan tool. Yeah, that’s a five figure scan tool and that’s a high five figure sometimes six figure guy running it. If you don’t like the price, fix it yourself. Oh wait, you can’t.

“i can’t legally allow you to drive this car until it’s fixed”

“i can’t legally allow you to drive this car until it’s fixed”
That’s bullshit, but we can report the vehicle to the authorities and get it flagged for inspection. I have no problem doing that, might save someone’s life. Maybe yours.

When you get a quote on brake pads, check to see what brand/type they are. One place could be quoting you cheap chinese pads and the other is quoting ceramic pads. It's always going to cost more at the dealer to get stuff done.

As for new rotors vs getting them machined, sometimes it's not much more to get brand new ones. Last time I checked on a Ranger, a new rotor was only about $10 more per rotor.

It sounds like the first guy that did your brakes did a good job. Find one mechanic and stick with him for all your stuff. When it comes to independent mechanics you're not just paying for labor, you're paying for years of knowledge.
Thank you.

That’s bullshit, but we can report the vehicle to the authorities and get it flagged for inspection. I have no problem doing that, might save someone’s life. Maybe yours.
it was for brake pads lol

You are staring at two different loss leaders. Dealership charges 150 per hour for big jobs, independent guy charges ~$90. Dealership makes a bundle off people needing to do big jobs, and gives out oil changes to keep people coming through the doors twice a year.

Little guy makes a living on middle priced big jobs, but cant give you an oil change for free. Remember he still needs to make that $90 labor to change your oil. Doing an oil change is like half that rate... (70 parts +45 labor)

The only time I would go to a dealer is when its a computer or electrical issue, otherwise the independent guys do the same job for less.
And for the record I've always paid over 100 for synthetic.

it was for brake pads lol

Were they completely worn out? If your pads were at 2/32 of an inch or less, that would fail an inspection. If your vehicle would fail an inspection that makes it potentially dangerous to drive. Don’t be nonchalant about brakes, tires, and front end parts. Serious shit.

Oil change for my GT350 Cobra was $184, on account of it takes special 10W/50 oil and needs 10 quarts.
They need an engine stand to lift your enormous manhood out of the drivers seat

You are staring at two different loss leaders. Dealership charges 150 per hour for big jobs, independent guy charges ~$90. Dealership makes a bundle off people needing to do big jobs, and gives out oil changes to keep people coming through the doors twice a year.

Little guy makes a living on middle priced big jobs, but cant give you an oil change for free. Remember he still needs to make that $90 labor to change your oil. Doing an oil change is like half that rate... (70 parts +45 labor)

The only time I would go to a dealer is when its a computer or electrical issue, otherwise the independent guys do the same job for less.
And for the record I've always paid over 100 for synthetic.
I’d hate to throw shit on your post but most of dealership work is warranty. You don’t make spit off warranty. There’s cash work, but not as much as you’d believe. Some dealers have varying rates. Light mechanical, electrical, diesel etc.

Didnt read yet but can promise it doesnt compare to my mechanic story.

Out of every person I have ever met, in my entire life, this mechanic I had to deal with for over 9 months is the single person I would say most deserves the title "scumbag"

I would say what I really feel about him but I think I would get banned. Will post story if anyone cares

Unfortunately the profession tens to attract an unusually hate amount of absolutely fuck heads

You said you want your oil changed.

1s3wlm.gif
Pull my dipstick huh huh huh huh

Didnt read yet but can promise it doesnt compare to my mechanic story.

Out of every person I have ever met, in my entire life, this mechanic I had to deal with for over 9 months is the single person I would say most deserves the title "scumbag"

I would say what I really feel about him but I think I would get banned. Will post story if anyone cares

Unfortunately the profession tens to attract an unusually hate amount of absolutely fuck heads
They’re out there alright. I usually fixed their fuck ups lol.

At this point, you shouldn't be getting ripped off by mechanics. With the internet, you have a huge resource on what you should be paying.

I had the same mechanic for the last 20 years, but he just retired. I went to another local guy near my office. I basically told him about my old mechanic retiring (which he knew), and said that I'll be giving him the rest of my business if he does a good job. I needed my fuel pump replaced and he gave the figure that google said is about average for my truck.

I do a lot of my own work....alternators, brake pads, etc. I don't do my own oil changes though. I mean I can do it myself for by the time I buy the oil and filter and get dirty and have to collect and bring the oil somewhere I save like $10-$15 tops. I'd rather drive in, pay the extra $10-$15 at Jiffy Lube and be done with it. NEVER accept all the other crap they try to upsell you with though as far as filters, bulbs, transmission, coolant, etc.
This is why I don't do it.... and I used to be a tech at two Chevy dealers in my early 20's. The time and effort buying the parts and doing it myself and getting dirty isn't worth saving $20 or $30.

Yeah fuck those cons. Theyre just like plumbers, AC repairs guys and dentists. All charge you up the ass for unnecessary interventions.
I got lucky, one of best friends is a mechanic and my neighbor is a dentist. I also got an a.c. repair man and a plumber that are some of my father's close friends.

This is why I don't do it.... and I used to be a tech at two Chevy dealers in my early 20's. The time and effort buying the parts and doing it myself and getting dirty isn't worth saving $20 or $30.
Spoken like an ex tech who just can’t be bothered. Do you loathe getting greasy too? I can’t stand it, it’s borderline offensive.

Back