Real Warrior Appreciation

KnightfromtheWhiteland

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Miyamoto Musashi, one of the greatest warriors of all time, wrote the Dokoddo a week before his death. It contains the 21 rules of life to a warrior walking alone. The 9th rule he wrote was: Resentment and complaint are appropriate neither for oneself or others

Why am I writing this? Because some of the greatest fighters we know still find an excuse as to why they lost rather than swallow it like a man (joke) and say they need to step their game up. This "dishonesty" with themselves is why some fighters "peak" and don't improve beyond that point. I used to love Werdum but he has "peaked" lately and isnt getting better/improving. Why? Because he's not a real warrior. Real warriors to me are Frankie Edgar and Robbie Lawler. Frankie could have made 50 excuses as to why he wasnt 100% ready for Brian, but never once said anything to take away from Brians win.Robbie got his knee messed up in RDA fight and you could tell something was wrong, but still he didn't mention shit about it and gave all the praise to RDA for being the better fighter. Frankie and Robbie WILL COME BACK BETTER.

Let's run a list of Werdums excuses for his last fight and why he won't come back better...

1. Not taking anything away from Volkov, he fought and defended well on the ground, but I think that....

Actual meaning: Give false praise to opponent, then say BUT to erase the praise and make up external reasons beyond your control as an excuse

2. Patience was my worst enemy in this fight,If I had more patience, I think the fight would have been different."

Actual meaning: I'm actually a better fighter than Volkov and I could have easily won the fight, I was just impatient this one time. It has nothing to do with the fact that Volkov has good hands.

3. I imposed my rhythm for three rounds, and I think I won the first three rounds, but I needed to breathe more. I got back up and my energy was too low to trade punches like that. Again, not taking anything away from Volkov."

Actual meaning: Yeah he won and got lucky and beat me in the fourth round, but i still beat him 3 rounds to 1 If I had conserved my energy more I wouldnt have low energy in trading punches and wouldnt have got caught like that. Nothing to do with my cardio,footwork, or boxing

4. Another thing that disturbed me was my eye, he hit me with an elbow in the first round and that bothered me,” Werdum said. “In the third round, he hit me and opened a cut right below my eye, and I was going on autopilot. That blow affected my performance a lot, and that’s Volkov’s merit.”

Actual meaning: I couldnt see that well in the fight. In the first 3 rounds I won that doesnt matter at all because an excuse is not needed for winning. But in the 4th round I lost it matters then. And apparently if you make excuses first than give praise at the end to not look like a coward, it isnt the same as givin praise and then making up excuses

5. I didn’t realize during the fight that I didn’t have both hooks in. I took the risk and tried to submit him, I could have stayed a little longer there. Like I said, patience was my worst enemy in this fight

Actual meaning: I could have submitted him if I had held the position longer but I got impatient, next time i will work on my patience, Volkovs submission defence had nothing to do with surviving 3 rounds on the ground with the best submission artist neither does my patience (timing of submission)...

i read the whole thing and i am blind now

But who's to say those rules are definite? Aren't they just the opinions of one man?

Miyamoto Musashi, one of the greatest warriors of all time, wrote the Dokoddo a week before his death. It contains the 21 rules of life to a warrior walking alone. The 9th rule he wrote was: Resentment and complaint are appropriate neither for oneself or others

Why am I writing this? Because some of the greatest fighters we know still find an excuse as to why they lost rather than swallow it like a man (joke) and say they need to step their game up. This "dishonesty" with themselves is why some fighters "peak" and don't improve beyond that point. I used to love Werdum but he has "peaked" lately and isnt getting better/improving. Why? Because he's not a real warrior. Real warriors to me are Frankie Edgar and Robbie Lawler. Frankie could have made 50 excuses as to why he wasnt 100% ready for Brian, but never once said anything to take away from Brians win.Robbie got his knee messed up in RDA fight and you could tell something was wrong, but still he didn't mention shit about it and gave all the praise to RDA for being the better fighter. Frankie and Robbie WILL COME BACK BETTER.

Let's run a list of Werdums excuses for his last fight and why he won't come back better...

1. Not taking anything away from Volkov, he fought and defended well on the ground, but I think that....

Actual meaning: Give false praise to opponent, then say BUT to erase the praise and make up external reasons beyond your control as an excuse

2. Patience was my worst enemy in this fight,If I had more patience, I think the fight would have been different."

Actual meaning: I'm actually a better fighter than Volkov and I could have easily won the fight, I was just impatient this one time. It has nothing to do with the fact that Volkov has good hands.

3. I imposed my rhythm for three rounds, and I think I won the first three rounds, but I needed to breathe more. I got back up and my energy was too low to trade punches like that. Again, not taking anything away from Volkov."

Actual meaning: Yeah he won and got lucky and beat me in the fourth round, but i still beat him 3 rounds to 1 If I had conserved my energy more I wouldnt have low energy in trading punches and wouldnt have got caught like that. Nothing to do with my cardio,footwork, or boxing

4. Another thing that disturbed me was my eye, he hit me with an elbow in the first round and that bothered me,” Werdum said. “In the third round, he hit me and opened a cut right below my eye, and I was going on autopilot. That blow affected my performance a lot, and that’s Volkov’s merit.”

Actual meaning: I couldnt see that well in the fight. In the first 3 rounds I won that doesnt matter at all because an excuse is not needed for winning. But in the 4th round I lost it matters then. And apparently if you make excuses first than give praise at the end to not look like a coward, it isnt the same as givin praise and then making up excuses

5. I didn’t realize during the fight that I didn’t have both hooks in. I took the risk and tried to submit him, I could have stayed a little longer there. Like I said, patience was my worst enemy in this fight

Actual meaning: I could have submitted him if I had held the position longer but I got impatient, next time i will work on my patience, Volkovs submission defence had nothing to do with surviving 3 rounds on the ground with the best submission artist neither does my patience (timing of submission)...
Andy Wang

Does this apply to the keyboard warriors of Sherdog???

I read the whole post TS, and while I love Musashi and especially the book of five rings, I must put forth one point.

these guys we are not warriors, they are prize fighters fighting for a check at the end of the day.

Anyone knocked out in a Yamasaki reffed fight is a true warrior worthy of respect

Sometimes not making excuses can feel like a defeat in and of itself. Some fighters truly feel that to admit that your opponent was better is a sign of mental weakness.

hajime-no-ippo-5350201.jpg

I don't concider any of these exscuses, just him analyzing what he did wrong and would he'd change if he fought him again. Wasn't blaming luck or unlucky events, just stating what he did wrong. Taking full responsibility for the loss

I don't concider any of these exscuses, just him analyzing what he did wrong and would he'd change if he fought him again. Wasn't blaming luck or unlucky events, just stating what he did wrong. Taking full responsibility for the loss
this. period.

What are you talking about? He analyzed his mistakes, and was right about every single one. It's what you're supposed to do.

Even if he did make excuses, it has nothing to do with him being a "warrior," or not. Some of the most excuse laden, whiny competitors across all sports were some of the best, most determined people. Making excuses is just a surface game.

Some of you need to get over the whole "He made excuses" as some big offense. A fighter's not supposed to keep quiet on what he thinks went wrong. Not every fighter loses because his opponent is better than him. Sometimes you lose because you fucked up, on you're opponent got lucky.

We don't need them acting like submissive little dogs who need to keep their tails tucked to seem agreeable.

Some of you are way too sensitive for this world.

Thinly veiled Werdum bashing thread. Out.

But who's to say those rules are definite? Aren't they just the opinions of one man?

I wrote a computer program (library AV database) that my undergrad used for over fifteen years (15) after I graduated. I am very happy.

Musashi has people reading his words over 373 years after his death. I think his opinion weighs a little heavier than you think.

Back