Really mad with my black belt training partner right now

I get it...

Brazilian Blackbelt courtesy in general means 3 things:

A) They ask you to roll, you never ask them unless you’re of equal belt rank.

B) They determine the duration and intensity unless a freak injury happens.

C) If they are at least a belt above or significantly better, they will let you lead and they will defend, but the unsaid rule is if you get them in trouble, you can press it but don’t “Go for the kill” because then you put them in a position where they just might have to tap to a lesser belt and live with the fact that you might be taking scalps.

Of course, it’s not always like this nor is it necessarily right, it is what it is.

I learned these lessons the hard way, particularly the third one.

I hate the fucking belts.

I get it...

Brazilian Blackbelt courtesy in general means 3 things:

A) They ask you to roll, you never ask them unless you’re of equal belt rank.

B) They determine the duration and intensity unless a freak injury happens.

C) If they are at least a belt above or significantly better, they will let you lead and they will defend, but the unsaid rule is if you get them in trouble, you can press it but don’t “Go for the kill” because then you put them in a position where they just might have to tap to a lesser belt and live with the fact that you might be taking scalps.

Of course, it’s not always like this nor is it necessarily right, it is what it is.

I learned these lessons the hard way, particularly the third one.

I'm very happy that we don't have the third rule at my school

If you get someone into trouble, you just keep going, no matter what belt he have. My coach is a blackbelt but he's also 45 years old and weights 170 pounds, he gets tapped by our 3 best guys who are almost 200 LBS and in their late 20's (2 purple belts and a brown belt). He doesn't give a damn about it, he congratulates them and he's super excited if they pull off something he never saw before...

We all know he's a legit black belt, he competes regularly, beating other black belts, losing to some, always competitive in is matches at his weight class... It's also why he never asked us to ''respect him'' he wants to get surprised and put into difficult situation, it might happen to him in competition.

We all respect our coach, we respect his knowledge, we respect his skills, but also the mood he as set into his gym where everybody helps each other and that nobody freaks out each time they get tapped.

I've never heard of anything like that, that's just plain silly. I sincerely hope that isn't a common opinion in the BJJ community.

Old school Brazilians BB’s yes. But I’m sure it’s lessened a bit because of social media and bad press.

I also think that's weird.

I mean, I generally match people's intensity regardless of belt, so if they're not going hard, I won't either.

But to suggest I won't try to submit a BB because of some etiquette is super weird to me.

The only reason I wouldn't try to tap a BB is because I'm afraid of their inevitable revenge haha.

I've never tapped a BB, btw. I'm a white about to grade to blue in a month. I've tapped plenty of browns... and paid the price afterwards, when they decide to turn up the intensity to teach me a lesson haha.

That is exactly what coconut water said .

For example, I would roll with a white belt and put myself in bad position because to be honest there is no way they can pass my guard at the first place.

If they catch me in a sub, I will submit them with the same sub within 20 seconds....

But I do it the nice way

Some old school BB would take take offence and knee on your head style ...rub their sleeve on the back of your ears so it hurts when you have a shower etc ..

...rub their sleeve on the back of your ears so it hurts when you have a shower etc ..

I legit laughed. Is this a real thing?

Can we start a thread on lowkey black belt revenge techniques?

I legit laughed. Is this a real thing?

Can we start a thread on lowkey black belt revenge techniques?

Yep, I saw a BB do it on purpose and he managed to peel the skin off the back of the ear .

The poor blue belt was telling how painfully it was when he had a shower.

Wow, they give belts in wrestling now?

(apart from this kind, of course

4yjl1et.jpg
)
I meant that a white belt has a good wrestling base and doesn´t feel like a newbie.

I've never heard of anything like that, that's just plain silly. I sincerely hope that isn't a common opinion in the BJJ community.
In judo I heard it once but is more than anything common sense so if an old black belt ask you to roll you won´t be full force.
I'm very happy that we don't have the third rule at my school

If you get someone into trouble, you just keep going, no matter what belt he have. My coach is a blackbelt but he's also 45 years old and weights 170 pounds, he gets tapped by our 3 best guys who are almost 200 LBS and in their late 20's (2 purple belts and a brown belt). He doesn't give a damn about it, he congratulates them and he's super excited if they pull off something he never saw before...

We all know he's a legit black belt, he competes regularly, beating other black belts, losing to some, always competitive in is matches at his weight class... It's also why he never asked us to ''respect him'' he wants to get surprised and put into difficult situation, it might happen to him in competition.

We all respect our coach, we respect his knowledge, we respect his skills, but also the mood he as set into his gym where everybody helps each other and that nobody freaks out each time they get tapped.
That´s so cool, the way it should be actually.
That is exactly what coconut water said .

For example, I would roll with a white belt and put myself in bad position because to be honest there is no way they can pass my guard at the first place.

If they catch me in a sub, I will submit them with the same sub within 20 seconds....

But I do it the nice way

Some old school BB would take take offence and knee on your head style ...rub their sleeve on the back of your ears so it hurts when you have a shower etc ..
Specially some brazilians black belts.

@Snolla alright this conversation has gone too long without any pictures. post some pics of the bloody gi.

the pics will clear up all the disagreement. i will lmfao if its like a small blood stain.

I rolled earlier this week with 2 black belts I 'd never met before.

1. First guy I get the lapel stack pass. Once I get the grip, I can normally get the pass 99% of the time. This guy fights for his fucking life for several minutes in it - mind you he is stacked on his neck the entire time. I'm having a hard time getting it too to be fair. At one point I even pass and he manages to get reset in the pass. Afterwards I tell him I've never had anyone counter that pass once I get the lapel grip and he says he was just being stubborn and that I was quicker than he expected.

He could have chosen to just accept the pass instead of hanging out on his neck for several minutes but he didn't. Maybe he didn't want to get passed by a brown belt, let alone a new guy.

2. Second guy I am positionaly dominating the entire time. I get him in an armbar and it is a similar thing to the first guy. He is wriggling this way and that for his life. He finally escapes with a hitchhiker but I honestly thought I was going to break his arm - he just would not tap and was taking risks most people would reserve for a competition.

Once again, he could have chosen to just tap and reset, but maybe he didn't want to be tapped out by the new brown belt guy.

My point being I think it's harder to be humble as you get better. You start having a high opinion of yourself which is hard to shake because its being confirmed every time you roll. I'm guilty of this too - I was a big fish in a small pond. It was one of the reasons why I wanted to move to other schools.

It's easy to be humble when there are large skill gaps - when someone is way worse than you or way better. Where it gets difficult is when you are closer in skill, particularly if they are "supposed" to be a little worse than you, either due to lower rank, less experience, or some other arbitrary metric. I'm guessing this is what happened with you and your friend.

His actions are bizarre, honestly maybe even suspension worthy or something. The truth is he is just too useful an asset to just not roll with not to mention he's your friend. Unless it's a hanging offense, I say talk it over with the guy. Break bread, spin it into a funny memory, and let the good times roll.
You're better than you think you are but you dont know it yet

I pointed out a guy's hanging booger, so he wipes it on his gi and then expected to start rolling with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back