Movies Reasons you love The Dark Knight besides The Joker

Obviously the joker is the best part of the dark knight, everyone agrees. But that in no way means the rest of the movie is "weak" or lacking. He's the center piece of the whole plot of course it doesn't work without him. Like try making silence of the lambs without hannibal.

But to your question TS, it was the dark knight/white knight dynamic. I didn't love the harvey dent side of it. But on batman side he came more into the dark knight role as the movie progressed. Ending with him becoming a fugitive because the city needs it, and gordon has a great monologue about what he has to be. I thought it was brilliant, it even set up the sequel. Prob my fav scene of the movie.

Dent's fall from grace is probably my favorite thing about the movie. You legitimately feel for the guy when he finally snaps after the Joker gives him that little pep talk in the hospital.

The unsung hero of the film is probably Bale's Batman. For all the shit he gets for the voice, you actually feel the weight on the man's shoulders. Every action he takes, there is an immediate reaction. Turn yourself in to the authorities? Well that won't stop the Joker from continuing to kill people. Keep up the good fight and stay the course? Well eventually you will become the villain, which actually does end up happening. Another thing I love about Bruce's arc, is how he originally thinks his mission will be like a 3 - 5 year thing. Quickly eradicate the crime syndicates, inspire the people of the city and hopefully find a worthy successor that's a legitimate politician. But it doesn't go as planned because of the escalation factor that Gordon warns him about at the end of Begins. In the end, it's Batman being outside of the law which makes him incorruptible. He's able to make those difficult choices, like spying on the entire city to find a mad man. It's a questionable action, but the ends justify the means.

The pacing of the film and balancing of drama/action is another reason why I find the movie so re-watchable. The action is not only jaw dropping but it feels real because of the lack of blatant CGI. Every punch that Batman throws, every truck that's flipped upside down, or every building that explodes; there is weight too it. That comes from having real stakes. Not only that, but some of the best scenes are of the characters just....talking. Batman vs Joker in the interrogation room. Batman chastising Dent about his interrogation methods in the back ally. Joker's proposal with the mob. Gordon and Dent's first time meeting. All of the Bruce/Alfred scenes. Batman revealing the Sonar machine to Lucius. Hell, arguably the best scene in the film doesn't even have the Joker in it. The final confrontation of Batman, Gordon and Dent at the end of the film is my favorite scene in the entire trilogy. And these guys are just...talking. Just great stuff.

I could literally go on and on about this film, but I gotta go take a dump, lol.

Editing, cinematography, acting, writing, themes, directing, special effects, soundtrack, iconic scenes, influence it had.

Maybe w/o Joker it would still be a great movie so 8+ range.

Back