Recent fights/results/news from China

Don't really want to get wrapped up in this debate but their is no doubt that the fights in K-1 MAX were consistently competitive technical wars and every event delivered. I'm just not seeing that these days. The division was way more competitive and I won't listen to anyone arguing otherwise.
The division was competitive for everyone apart from buakaw and petrosyan. Petrosyan was schooling almost everyone.

You can argue the fights were competitive because you had one promotion where all the best were fighting in. Today there are so many promotions and everyone is spread out but a division with Chingiz, Superbon, Marat, Yodsanklai, present petro, Kehl, Cedric Manhoef, Tuinov, RvR, Yodwicha would equally be as competitive and even arguably more.

I think Buakaw in a way is overrated for thai standards. He is where he is due to opportunity. Not due to being the best. Many good thais with the right style could accomplish what he accomplished if they were given the same opportunity. What's stopping us from assuming Marat would do to prime buakaw what he did to Jomthong, superbon and maybe even sittichai when they fight again? If Marat can hit you there's a big chance that he will hurt you and buakaw got hit a lot more than sittichai. Styles make fights.

Don't really want to get wrapped up in this debate but their is no doubt that the fights in K-1 MAX were consistently competitive technical wars and every event delivered. I'm just not seeing that these days. The division was way more competitive and I won't listen to anyone arguing otherwise.
Yeah i agree but that wasn't the question. RvR, Marat and Allazov would all be competitive against the K-1 max guys, and Sittichai would surely be the favourite.

@Julius_Caesar

Petrosyan was at the tail end of MAX and he never faced Buakaw or Masato in MAX. The competition was certainly competitive against Buakaw he had plenty of tough fights and lost some.

I'm not going to address all the extra irrelevant shit.

Yeah i agree but that wasn't the question. RvR, Marat and Allazov would all be competitive against the K-1 max guys, and Sittichai would surely be the favourite.
I don't think their was any specific question. Sittichai being the favorite is just an opinion and not sure to me.

The division was competitive for everyone apart from buakaw and petrosyan. Petrosyan was schooling almost everyone.

You can argue the fights were competitive because you had one promotion where all the best were fighting in. Today there are so many promotions and everyone is spread out but a division with Chingiz, Superbon, Marat, Yodsanklai, present petro, Kehl, Cedric Manhoef, Tuinov, RvR, Yodwicha would equally be as competitive and even arguably more.

I think Buakaw in a way is overrated for thai standards. He is where he is due to opportunity. Not due to being the best. Many good thais with the right style could accomplish what he accomplished if they were given the same opportunity. What's stopping us from assuming Marat would do to prime buakaw what he did to Jomthong, superbon and maybe even sittichai when they fight again? If Marat can hit you there's a big chance that he will hurt you and buakaw got hit a lot more than sittichai. Styles make fights.

you are trying too hard man...

-The only good lvl names Allazov fought from his 23 fights in his last 3 years are Haida, Juri Kehl, baya,Enriko Kehl, Hendouf, Pikeur and Manhoef, Guys Like Sayiok,Sudsakorn,Nakajima,Askerov are out of his league.

-Grigorian last 2 years good lvl opponents were Moiseev,Sitthichai and most lately fat Jomthong, Mezouari and Superbon.

- Kehl is a good fighter but pretty much a gatekeeper for high lvl guys

- Manhoef didnt win a fight in 1,5 year, his last victory was over a proven false alarm Wu Xuesong

-Tuinov is starting to really expose himself to worldwide competition since last year,still too young to be a point

- RVR started to fight way less when he became FW champ, also fighting against less dangerous names(exception obviously for Pet and Adamchuk

- Yodwicha barely kickboxed enough and against good fighters to use him as a point.

Talent is less skilled and way spread all over the place,K-1 Max was like world cup where you had to win stacked high lvl contender tournaments just to take a place in the final 16(considering the best years of course), this is a fact.

I don't think their was any specific question. Sittichai being the favorite is just an opinion and not sure to me.
The question was top ten GOAT ranking, not which era was more competitive.

Yes K-1 Max was more competitive, but it doesn't mean all top fighters from that era are better than the fighters of today.

Yes K-1 Max was more competitive, but it doesn't mean all top fighters from that era are better than the fighters of today.

lol I'd completely forgot what the question was. thanks for reminding me. I think you nailed it too.

That all kind of ties in though doesn't it? If you are ranking more guys from the K-1 Max era towards the top of that Top 10 list you are doing so because they all fought in a more competitive era. The discussion shifted towards that notion, and it's something I tend to agree with for the most part. It may not mean that ALL fighters from that era are better, but there is no question that consistent tough matchups produce better fighters.

That all kind of ties in though doesn't it? If you are ranking more guys from the K-1 Max era towards the top of that Top 10 list you are doing so because they all fought in a more competitive era. The discussion shifted towards that notion, and it's something I tend to agree with for the most part. It may not mean that ALL fighters from that era are better, but there is no question that consistent tough matchups produce better fighters.
Yeah that also makes it impossible to do an accurate ranking.

I just think Sittichai is more skilled and more complete as a fighter than those K-1 Max era guys and he has the right style to do so desicively. Playing out a fight in my head i only see Sittichai winning. With Marat and RvR it's more like 50/50. Even i believe Allazov, Superbon and Gogokhia are on a similar skill level as the K-1 max era guys, though it's purely speculation and they aren't very accomplished so i'd never put them ahead of the K-1 max legends in a top 10 GOAT ranking. In that sense you're right, the K-1 max legends fought in a very tough, competitive league and are therefore have accomplished more than most top kickboxers today.

But, does anyone actually believe a prime Zambidis would beat Superbon or Marat more often than not? In a hypothetical scenario i'd put my money on the two latter 9 out of 10 times. I don't consider Ristie a top 10 GOAT, but he could KO many top guys from either era.

Yeah that also makes it impossible to do an accurate ranking.

I just think Sittichai is more skilled and more complete as a fighter than those K-1 Max era guys and he has the right style to do so desicively. Playing out a fight in my head i only see Sittichai winning. With Marat and RvR it's more like 50/50. Even i believe Allazov, Superbon and Gogokhia are on a similar skill level as the K-1 max era guys, though it's purely speculation and they aren't very accomplished so i'd never put them ahead of the K-1 max legends in a top 10 GOAT ranking. In that sense you're right, the K-1 max legends fought in a very tough, competitive league and are therefore have accomplished more than most top kickboxers today.

But, does anyone actually believe a prime Zambidis would beat Superbon or Marat more often than not? In a hypothetical scenario i'd put my money on the two latter 9 out of 10 times. I don't consider Ristie a top 10 GOAT, but he could KO many top guys from either era.
why not bring up JWP I thought Zambo lost their first fight too then the other two coming after Zambidis had his K-1 run. Now I'm not saying JWP is a better fighter then Zambo he just matched up with him good. Although the two eras are close together there's damn near 20 years of fighters that have competed where you can pick and choose who matches up with who. Plus unlike with lets say MMA the Kickboxers from this era haven't really evolved that much other then someone like Allazov.

why not bring up JWP I thought Zambo lost their first fight too then the other two coming after Zambidis had his K-1 run. Now I'm not saying JWP is a better fighter then Zambo he just matched up with him good. Although the two eras are close together there's damn near 20 years of fighters that have competed where you can pick and choose who matches up with who. Plus unlike with lets say MMA the Kickboxers from this era haven't really evolved that much other then someone like Allazov.
Not sure what point you're trying to make

Not sure what point you're trying to make
it's easy to say this fighter can do this or that to this fighter when you put favorable matchups together. If Superbon came in thinking he could just walk straight through Zambidis like he thought he was going to do to Marat yeah I could see him getting caught. The skills between todays fighters a ones from the Max era haven't really evolved like you'd think would happen from one era to the other. There is no fighter at 70kg right now that looks like they would go into Max and dominate the way Buakaw did.

it's easy to say this fighter can do this or that to this fighter when you put favorable matchups together. If Superbon came in thinking he could just walk straight through Zambidis like he thought he was going to do to Marat yeah I could see him getting caught. The skills between todays fighters a ones from the Max era haven't really evolved like you'd think would happen from one era to the other. There is no fighter at 70kg right now that looks like they would go into Max and dominate the way Buakaw did.
If you remove Buakaw and Petrosyan, i'd say the skill levels are about the same but the top fighters aren't as competitive today. The talent pool is bigger though. I think some mid tier guys like Dzianis Zuev, Victor Nagbe, Pashporin etc would do OK back then. No way they'd dominate, but they would give the K-1 max guys good fights. The fighters of today aren't that inferior. Buakaw is special he had the perfect style for kickboxing at the time.

If you remove Buakaw and Petrosyan, i'd say the skill levels are about the same but the top fighters aren't as competitive today. The talent pool is bigger though. I think some mid tier guys like Dzianis Zuev, Victor Nagbe, Pashporin etc would do OK back then. No way they'd dominate, but they would give the K-1 max guys good fights. The fighters of today aren't that inferior. Buakaw is special he had the perfect style for kickboxing at the time.
seeing how they had Gago Drago, Yuichiro Nagashima, along with some other questionable fighters I sure there is a decent amount of fighters today that could compete in there.

I give up. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. This eras not over yet so maybe opinions will change.

The scene was more competitive because of 8 man one night tournaments and k1's insistence on making fights a week or two before an event.

d8c09930e924b8992c6e5acd62061d95087bf6ea.jpg

Ain't so fat now

seeing how they had Gago Drago, Yuichiro Nagashima, along with some other questionable fighters I sure there is a decent amount of fighters today that could compete in there.
I dont think anyone is saying they couldnt, they are just saying the GOAT's of that era should be ranked higher than the GOAT's of this era because they were in a more competitive division but I think you agree with me.

Buakaw without a margin of doubt. Second Petro. Best era for kickboxing RIP. Sittichai is boring. Not sure what's the specific argument is but I know I'm right.

Yodsanklai and Yodwicha on the same card but let me guess. They're not fighting each other??

Back